Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographing people who don't want to be photographed!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014787 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2012 - 2:24 PM

Had quite a fun time shooting staff profile shots at a recruitment firm in Leeds this week.

They were after something cool, so took time to get shots that people actually liked... wasn't just a passport shot kinda thing.

Almost without exception, the consultants would always say "I hate my photo being taken", or "Get this over with as quickly as possible"...

Which makes it a challenge to get a shot which is fits the brief... got there in the end of course.

What would you do in that situation... someone you've never met before, a name on a sheet, walks into the room and tells you they hate what you do Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Mar 2012 - 2:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
7 Mar 2012 - 3:05 PM

People called "consultants" hate what you do????

Geezabreak!!!!!

Isn't the official definition of a "consultant" someone who asks to borrow your watch so that they can tell you the time.... and then charges you for the service?

Worthless parasites. It's a wonder their sour faces did not crack your lenses.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014787 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2012 - 3:10 PM

lol - good rant

not really given any real pointers towards the question, but quite amusing Wink

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2012 - 3:11 PM

If you want me to tell you Ade ill have to charge you Wink.

ade_mcfade
7 Mar 2012 - 3:18 PM

I'll live Ian Wink

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022910 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2012 - 3:20 PM

Hello Matthew

"I hate my photo taken, do it quick, like"

That's because you'r e a worthless tw**

"Wha.....??

Click
Next

ade_mcfade
7 Mar 2012 - 3:26 PM

lol - go for the shock tactics... nice!

the guys were fine actually, they all mumbled about hating photos, but when their mug shots popped up on capture one, they soon started adjusting ties and stuff!

The girls were the nightmare.. Wink

Lovely as they were of course...

scottishphototours

Model - "I hate getting my pic taken"

Tog - "so do I, thats why I'm on this side of the camera - cause you're the better looking of the two of us...haha"

Just boost their ego a bit and get down to it...

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41197 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2012 - 4:19 PM

Me - "Well, your first 30 seconds are free, after that it'll cost you exponentially, so shall we get on with it?"

ie...shut up and sit down, you're having it done whether you want it or not!

scottishphototours

Then there is the classic togs reply:

Tog - "I wish a crisp 20 note for every time someone's told me that....my name's Ade, take a seat".....

TonyBrooks
7 Mar 2012 - 5:02 PM

Tog - I hate getting up the morning but I still have to do it shut the F*** up and smile lol

monkeygrip
7 Mar 2012 - 5:35 PM

When people say that to me I say "well if you shy away from the camera and don't enjoy it then the image will turn out twice as bad as you actually look now if you lift your head a bit that will remove three of those chins"

SNAP......."NEXT"

GFJ
GFJ  3 Northern Ireland
7 Mar 2012 - 5:58 PM

I am not in this business to make people look ugly Smile

lemmy
lemmy  71833 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Mar 2012 - 6:09 PM

Subject: "I hate having my photo taken"

1/
You: I do too! That's why I'm on this side of the camera...(laugh).

or:

2/ You: Yes, it's a bit like going to the dentist. But at least having your picture taken doesn't hurt (laugh)

If you read some of the comments here, many people seem to think the way to deal with hostility is more hostility. It's not. The reason people are like that is that they are nervous. You overcome that by relaxing them. Anyone can take a picture. Not everyone can relax nervous people.

For women, pick out a feature, their hair, eyes, whatever. Remark that some people are hard to photograph but people with blue/ dark/ green/ hazel eyes / blonde/ brunette/ black/ hair make the job easy because they are so striking. Yes, it's flannel but if you don't overdo it people accept it in the spirit it is said.

It's hard to remember sometimes that the picture session is about them, not you. You are used to this situation, they are not. When I had a really nervous person in the studio, the thing I used to love to hear most as they were leaving was "I really enjoyed that" or "you made that great fun, thanks". It means they leave happier than they came in. I had quite a few show biz folk who came back to me time and time again for their publicity pix. Much as I'd like it to be, it wasn't my fabulous photography (some hopes Sad) , it was that I made a potentially unpleasant experience pleasant.

User_Removed
7 Mar 2012 - 6:22 PM

Quote: I am not in this business to make people look ugly Smile

You haven't seen 73% of the Gallery Portraits on ePz!

Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.