Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographing perfume spray

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnp
    johnp  9136 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Mar 2010 - 4:01 PM

Hi
    I wonder if anyone can advise on how to photograph the spray from a perfume bottle, please?

Ideally I want to photograph a model from the side, holding the bottle about 15cm to 20cm in front of herself and spraying perfume onto her neck or chest. It's important to capture the actual spray coming out - the bottle alone is not sufficient. Also ideally the background will be white or quite light in colour but if necessary I'll re-think that bit.

I've done a bit of experimenting and the spray (sometimes referred to as mist) is extremely fine, which makes me wonder whether it's possible.

I've even wondered whether to photograph the spray/mist and then Photoshop it into an image of the model holding a bottle. But I'm still left trying to figure out how. Queries include background colour choice, continuous light or flash, direction of light, how to synchronize exposure with spray coming out (or do I just take a lot in the hope that I'll eventually press the shutter at exactly the right moment?)

Looking forward to some fascinating answers!

John

Kit available includes 5D Mark II, lenses from 24mm up to 400mm, 105mm macro lens, Speedlight, studio flash, various backgrounds.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Mar 2010 - 4:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

montechoro
    montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Mar 2010 - 5:22 PM

Hi John - I took some shots recently of fine rain falling onto an American Tree Frog.

It was against a black background to record the detail in the drops with an angled studio flash/ softbox, high up behind the frog and pointed diagonally towards the camera, across the frogs back not directly into the camera.

At 1/200 sec the droplets recorded as a mist against the black background when lit diagonally from behind.

Probably not so easy with a light background - you might find it difficult to retain the detail to distinguish the perfume mist.

If the perfume mist is important to record, just experiment with that detail to start with.

stigma
    stigma  4
    15 Apr 2010 - 11:45 PM

How about a contre-jour? The spray particles will definitely be visible if the light is set correctly, and if any other element in the photograph has to be visible you could simply use a tighter secondary light on it.

User_Removed
    16 Apr 2010 - 1:01 AM

It sounds to me like an entirely PP created spray would be best.

It is very unlikely that the actual spray from the bottle will give you a nice uniform pattern, at the correct speed.

Much easier to create it digitally and add in.

- as opposed to the work required to produce an electromechanical switch for the spray activation, and then shooting the mist at high speed in a darkened room.

Shooting perfume mist in a regular fashion will make it look like paint/bugkiller (due to the lateral motion blur given by the max x-sync speed 1/200 )- not really desirable at all. Tongue

So unless you have a leaf shutter camera, or a highspeed set-up easily available its gunna look like more streaky than misty.

A la...

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4788562/2/istockphoto_4788562-spray-perfume.jpg

But, if you must... Take it on a dark background with strobe from the direction of spray, invert the result, compose onto light background model and then reinvert.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 16 Apr 2010 - 1:03 AM
    BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2010 - 8:03 PM

Set up with light from behind so the spray is lit against a black background, then then light from the front using barn doors or honeycomb to highlight the face etc.

johnp
    johnp  9136 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Apr 2010 - 5:52 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll give it a try based on them. If I succeed I'll post an image.
    John

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.