Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographing properties for estate agents

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    goexplorephotography

Hi,
    I been approach by an estate agent to photography some prperties. Probably the higher end value.
    Its been i while since i did this sort of work, in fact it was in the 1980's and the days of film.
    Is anyone working in this area and can you give me an idea of fees. Do you charge on the size of property or on the value.

I normally work on a day rate for commercial jobs. But i would like to get an idea of prices to see if i can be competitive.
    Even if your not a professional photographer you may have recently paid for photographs via an estate agent. Would you min telling me how much they charged,

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Dec 2012 - 9:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53471 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Dec 2012 - 1:49 PM

I'd say you are perhaps quite lucky as most of the estate agents for flat letting i know just whip out a small compact and get on with it.

I don't think you give much detail for the pro's to comment - outside shots only, perspective correction, basic room shots, HDR adjusted shots to show inside and outside in same shot, added lighting inside to capture atmosphere.
    Special's - panorama's, video's, that eye-360 thing on the prize draw?
    Format shots are delivered in, responsive time-scales on your part - do they expect something in a week or an hour?
    If your unsure why don't you think of a realistic day rate and add income tax and insurance, then divide down to the hour and double it to ensure you cater for processing and delivery time?
    Would travel be extra - driving 50 miles to the shoot?

I'd be interested to hear what you do quote and if they take the quote?

Cheers
    Stuart

goexplorephotography

Hi Stuart, thanks for your reply,
    however I think you over complicating the question,
    if i was quoting for a commercial job, then yes i take into account every detail.
    However Estate agents generally work on a set fee for a basic number of shots. Prices sometimes vary depending on number of shots required for different sized properties. Such as an average 3 bed semi would be 9 shots made up of 3 outdoor and 7 indoor.

You are correct I could divide my day rate between how many properties i think ill get done in a day, But day rate prices vary depending on the industry, type of job and level. i.e.. doing a days shoot for vogue compared to a days shoot for a local magazine. they are both a days work, but the pay level is different. it all depends on where you pitch yourself and at what market level. As i have not done this type of work for quite a while im not sure what is the going rate. My day rate may work out too much for this type of work. What im after is an idea of prices which are being paid by estate agents at the moment. it may turn out its not worth me doing.

from a bit of research some prices I've come up with are
    90.00 for 9 images for properties up to a value of 250k
    150.00 12 image for properties 250k to 400k
    250.00 18 images for properties 400k to 1 million.
    350.00 for 20+ image for properties 1 million plus.

sorry if that sounds a bit ungrateful, its not meant to be, but thanks for taking the time to read my post and reply

Garreth

Lucian
    Lucian  4509 forum posts
    19 Dec 2012 - 3:27 PM

Estate agents usually pay about 15-20 per property.

goexplorephotography

15-20 per property??? i was getting that in 1984.

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Dec 2012 - 7:14 PM

Quote: Estate agents usually pay about 15-20 per property.

Probably for a tin shack on the Wester Hailes estate.

Railcam
    Railcam  7450 forum posts Scotland
    19 Dec 2012 - 7:44 PM

[quote][Probably for a tin shack on the Wester Hailes estate./quote]

So property prices in SW Edinburgh (Wester Hailes) have risen then. Wink

scrimmy
    scrimmy e2 Member 5351 forum postsscrimmy vcard Scotland5 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Dec 2012 - 7:46 PM

Quote: So property prices in SW Edinburgh (Wester Hailes) have risen then

no VAT has risen Tongue

Paul_Anthony
    19 Dec 2012 - 8:14 PM

Quote: Estate agents usually pay about 15-20 per property.

Is this based on personal experience Lucian?

Paul

scottishphototours

I sent flyers out to a few estate agents about 3 years ago offering a free set of pics to each one for a property over 250k. I did shots for 4 agents and all 4 booked me again for their high-end properties, for which I charged 350 for a set of around 15 images, both inside and outside. Things were ticking along nicely...

Then a local lad from college started doing the same. He charged 50 for the same 15 pics and I got dumped. He was doing it for the same 4 agents for 3 months then they started taking their own shots with a bridge camera, most of which were better than the college boys, and then he got dumped too. Now all 4 do their own, crap, pictures for clients and charge them a fee for pics that depends on the value of the property. They use the same bridge camera throughout and the results are truly awful.

The motto?? - stick to your realistic pricing and your quality as most of the agents that I used to deal with now wouldn't know a good picture if it slapped them in the face. People like "college boy" are responsible for killing yet another avenue of photography imho... good luck with it!!

User_Removed
    5 Jan 2013 - 5:07 PM

Quote: 15-20 per property??? i was getting that in 1984.

No doubt.

But that was before every estate agent's work experience trainee had a digital compact camera.

Wink

User_Removed
    5 Jan 2013 - 8:24 PM

....and, I kid you not, a neighbour who put her house on the market last year commented that when the estate agent came to draw up particulars, he took the photographs for the job with a mobile phone.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.