Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Photographing the Northern Lights

JanieB43 6 47 6 England
13 Nov 2013 4:56PM
With a possible trip to Iceland in the offing next March I need advice on which gear to take. I've got a Canon 7D and a selection of decent lenses. Do I take a prime 20mm or my Sigma 10-20mm or indeed my 18-135mm IS ? Also I'm thinking of investing in a travel tripod and I've heard the Manfrotto BeFree is a good one. Do I need to buy a head for it ?

Can anyone give me any tips as to settings for the perfect Aurora shot too ??

Thanks Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TyChee e2
9 199 1 United States
13 Nov 2013 7:06PM
I'm interested in this as well. What is the best month for having the best shot or capturing the northern lights?
JanieB43 6 47 6 England
13 Nov 2013 7:37PM

Quote:What is the best month for having the best shot or capturing the northern lights?

Hi TyChee,

Apparently there's supposed to be increased activity this year up until March/April 2014 but as they're very unpredictable I'm hoping I'm going to get lucky Wink

Jane
IanBurton 5 78 7 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2013 8:37AM
I travelled to Lapland last December when the aurora activity was supposed to be high. Never seen the lights during my 5 night stay, low cloud and continuous snow fall prevented that Sad Was still a lovely experience, particularly for my little daughter. Anyway, I never did any hiking so I took my full sized tripod and head along with my 17-40 & 24-70 lenses. I never took the 17-40 lens off the camera. If I was you I would leave the prime at home and carry both the 10-20 & 18-135. I had a quick look at the Manfrotto BeFree tripod I think the head comes with it. Have a look at the EPZ review also has some other recommendations. Also take a look at the Feisol traveller tripods, they've been getting some good reviews.
Rick51 1 7
14 Nov 2013 11:16AM
Can't help with the photography - but have you seen the Aurora prediction site for Iceland?
http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora/
We were there this March and it was very helpful. We saw the lights 3 times out of 3 tries. We hired an apartment in Reykjavic and a car rather than rely on package trips. It gave us the freedom to do what we wanted rather than being whisked round in a coach.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.