Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographing the planets and stars ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2011 - 7:24 PM

I have a great viewing position from our garden at home and would love to take some astronomical photos , I can get ok shots of the moon with my 70-200 but looking for a lot more, dont want to spend the earth as its just hobbyist stuff and have seen things like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-30x-50-1200mm-2500mm-DSLR-Telescope-Canon-Rebel-Kis... any advice from anyone would be appreciated , kit is canon 5dmk2 ..

Andrew

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Sep 2011 - 7:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
30 Sep 2011 - 8:10 PM

Have a look on stargazers lounge there are a few threads re astrophotography that will really help. I think you would be wasting your money on the item you link to. I use a made lx90 gps 8" with various attachments and still find it hard.

MrGoatsmilk
30 Sep 2011 - 8:12 PM

Meade not made (damn predictive text) Tongue

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2011 - 10:15 PM

Get a telescope and an adaptor for your camera and hey presto you have your close up images.
(caps lock turned off - mod)

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 1 Oct 2011 - 9:14 AM
oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3773 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Oct 2011 - 11:12 AM

There are lots of reasons why this kit will not produce good results. If you really want to have a go at low-cost astrophotography, maybe have a try at constructing a barn door: Wikipedia article on barn door tracker. It's a device that allows you to track the apparent movement of the stars across the sky so as to take exposures without star trailing.

Last Modified By oldblokeh at 1 Oct 2011 - 11:13 AM
thermosoflask

Oldblokeh is correct, buy a 6'' telescope plus adaptor for your camera and make sure the telescope comes with a motor, i paid 250 for mine. you need the motor to move the telescope in time with the earths rotation.

User_Removed
1 Oct 2011 - 9:27 PM

The earth is rotating?

snapbandit
snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2011 - 9:32 PM

Quote: The earth is rotating?

Don't be ridiculous!!!!, the Earth is flat & the universe rotates around it, the motor will track with the movement of the skies.....obviously!! TongueWink

(P.S. Saturns rings are made up from lost lens caps!! )...probably....

User_Removed
1 Oct 2011 - 9:37 PM

Yes the motor will track the movement of the skies!

snapbandit
snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2011 - 9:45 PM

(Back on topic) I'm interested in this as well but have absolutely no knowledge of the subject, another question...roughly what would the magnification (in focal length/mm terms for a simpleton like me Sad ) of the aforementioned 6" telescope? & what size in the frame would the other planets, such as Saturn or Jupiter when visible, be?

Joe B

oldblokeh
1 Oct 2011 - 10:04 PM

Well now, let's see... 2000mm will make the moon nearly full frame in 35mm format, and the angular diameter of the moon is about 30 arcminutes. The angular diameter of Jupiter at opposition (closest approach) is about 30 arcseconds, so to get it nearly full frame would need 60 times the focal length. Of course, the image will be pretty dim by then.

Another issue is that you need very still air, what astronomers call 'good seeing', to capture decent planetary images. If the stars are at all twinkly forget it.

Last Modified By oldblokeh at 1 Oct 2011 - 10:05 PM
User_Removed
1 Oct 2011 - 11:34 PM

Quote: to get it nearly full frame would need 60 times the focal length. Of course, the image will be pretty dim by then.

He didn't ask about getting it full frame. He asked how big such planets might appear using the aforementioned 6" telescope

oldblokeh
2 Oct 2011 - 8:24 AM

Correct, but I can't give an answer since I don't know the focal length of the 6" telescope objective. He may know and be able to do the arithmetic.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2011 - 10:15 AM

Is a motor really able to allow a precise sharp shot over a long exposure with a telescope , seems like a pretty exact science ! is the earths rotation an exact constant or is that something that also needs to be worked out , sorry if Im sounding thick ! but never looked into this before .. ( well looked into the sky but not the workings of it )

bfgstew
bfgstew  7668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2011 - 10:56 AM

This Astrophotography should give you all the info you need to get going, or at least think about it!!!!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.