Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photographing your assets

cats_123 Plus
11 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
20 Jun 2012 9:56AM
No...not those!! Wink

We've been reviewing our security arrangements at home and thought it a good idea to record all our assets...thinking it will be useful if we ever had to make an insurance claim or give police a description of `stolen' items....

Just worked round the interior of our house photographing all the larger pieces of furniture/equipment/paintings/art work etc......damn! forgot the camera Grin

Next will be serial numbers.....

has anyone done this sort of thing?... what else do you do?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 10 6.5k 18 England
20 Jun 2012 10:01AM
Do not forget to keep this record of assets in another location as well ...... could get stolen with all the other stuff Wink
cats_123 Plus
20 Jun 2012 10:16AM

Quote:Do not forget to keep this record of assets in another location as well ...... could get stolen with all the other stuff Wink
synced to my netbook (Google Drive) and backed up on my cloud Smile

but yes...perhaps a printed (or separate external drive/CD/SD Card) version might be useful Smile
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2012 10:19AM
I have all the details of my camera equipment logged and printed and have often thought about doing the same for all assets. (Even the good Mrs Steinbeck) Wink
cats_123 Plus
20 Jun 2012 10:22AM

Quote:I have all the details of my camera equipment logged and printed and have often thought about doing the same for all assets. (Even the good Mrs Steinbeck) Wink

HeHe..Could you describe your best asset it/he/she went missing????? WinkGrinGrin
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2012 10:27AM
For a moment I thought it was another office Christmas party story.
doolittle 5 1 2 South Africa
20 Jun 2012 10:29AM
My insurance company sends out a regular reminder to do this and keep it up to date.

BTW, they also allow a small discount if you agree to undergo a lie detector test in the event of a claim.

Another BTW, in case you haven't guessed we have a rather high crime rate where I live.
lemmy 7 2.2k United Kingdom
20 Jun 2012 10:47AM
You can guard against overlooking anything by doing a short video panning round the entire room.
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2012 10:59AM
You will normally find you have to give your insurance company details and serial numbers for any goods over a certain value. I assume you have your camera equipment insured, if not, tell your insurance company to put it on your policy and make sure it's insured for loss, accidental damage and theft, not just for inside your home, but outside as well. Make sure everything is watertight with your insurance people, otherwise, if there's a loophole, they'll find it.

Also, if you have an excess with your insurance, they will take the excess off of every single item! So, if you have a camera and 3 lenses, they will take the excess for the 4 items!
I had my golf equipment stolen from my car in the golf club car park quite a few years ago. I had just renewed everything, irons, clubs, shoes and bag. The insurance company took 50 excess off every item (200)
Stephen
NEWDIGIT 3 401 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2012 12:22PM
All above are good ideas we have done a similar exercise and all the details are with our other legal docs lodged with our bank that way even if the house burns down we still have a record
cats_123 Plus
20 Jun 2012 12:30PM

Quote:You will normally find you have to give your insurance company details and serial numbers for any goods over a certain value. I assume you have your camera equipment insured, if not, tell your insurance company to put it on your policy and make sure it's insured for loss, accidental damage and theft, not just for inside your home, but outside as well. Make sure everything is watertight with your insurance people, otherwise, if there's a loophole, they'll find it.

Also, if you have an excess with your insurance, they will take the excess off of every single item! So, if you have a camera and 3 lenses, they will take the excess for the 4 items!
I had my golf equipment stolen from my car in the golf club car park quite a few years ago. I had just renewed everything, irons, clubs, shoes and bag. The insurance company took 50 excess off every item (200)
Stephen

my camera and lenses probably only amount to about 800 (new for old), but can imagine if anyone has pro equipment how expensive that could be...I still wouldn't like to have to replace them. I haven't got them separately itemised, but I ma covered away from home as well....and excess is 200. So good point, worth noting, thanks Smile

Quote:All above are good ideas we have done a similar exercise and all the details are with our other legal docs lodged with our bank that way even if the house burns down we still have a record

I have somewhere safe to keep everything but need to consider where best off-site. Smile
keithh Plus
11 23.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 Jun 2012 12:32PM
Don't forget to record all your serial numbers on www.immobilise.com . The police can then search for owners of recovered property via the National Mobile Property Register.
Lynx08 Plus
6 1.2k England
20 Jun 2012 12:36PM

Quote:BTW, they also allow a small discount if you agree to undergo a lie detector test in the event of a claim.

Seems a bit extreme! even with a high crime rate. Which insurance company are you with?
Carabosse Plus
12 39.7k 269 England
20 Jun 2012 12:41PM

Quote:You can guard against overlooking anything by doing a short video panning round the entire room.

Exactly what I have done.

As to serial numbers, it is not something that insurance companies tend to ask about. They know so few people bother to keep a record.
keithh Plus
11 23.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 Jun 2012 12:44PM

Quote:BTW, they also allow a small discount if you agree to undergo a lie detector test in the event of a claim.

They want you to submit to something that is inadmissible in court?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.