Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographing your assets

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104004 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 9:56 AM

No...not those!! Wink

We've been reviewing our security arrangements at home and thought it a good idea to record all our assets...thinking it will be useful if we ever had to make an insurance claim or give police a description of `stolen' items....

Just worked round the interior of our house photographing all the larger pieces of furniture/equipment/paintings/art work etc......damn! forgot the camera Grin

Next will be serial numbers.....

has anyone done this sort of thing?... what else do you do?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jun 2012 - 9:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96233 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 10:01 AM

Do not forget to keep this record of assets in another location as well ...... could get stolen with all the other stuff Wink

Last Modified By JJGEE at 20 Jun 2012 - 10:03 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104004 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 10:16 AM

Quote: Do not forget to keep this record of assets in another location as well ...... could get stolen with all the other stuff Wink

synced to my netbook (Google Drive) and backed up on my cloud Smile

but yes...perhaps a printed (or separate external drive/CD/SD Card) version might be useful Smile

User_Removed
20 Jun 2012 - 10:19 AM

I have all the details of my camera equipment logged and printed and have often thought about doing the same for all assets. (Even the good Mrs Steinbeck) Wink

cats_123
20 Jun 2012 - 10:22 AM

Quote: I have all the details of my camera equipment logged and printed and have often thought about doing the same for all assets. (Even the good Mrs Steinbeck) Wink

HeHe..Could you describe your best asset it/he/she went missing????? WinkGrinGrin

strawman
strawman  1022004 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 10:27 AM

For a moment I thought it was another office Christmas party story.

doolittle
doolittle  4 South Africa2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 10:29 AM

My insurance company sends out a regular reminder to do this and keep it up to date.

BTW, they also allow a small discount if you agree to undergo a lie detector test in the event of a claim.

Another BTW, in case you haven't guessed we have a rather high crime rate where I live.

lemmy
lemmy  71774 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Jun 2012 - 10:47 AM

You can guard against overlooking anything by doing a short video panning round the entire room.

puertouk
puertouk  21057 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 10:59 AM

You will normally find you have to give your insurance company details and serial numbers for any goods over a certain value. I assume you have your camera equipment insured, if not, tell your insurance company to put it on your policy and make sure it's insured for loss, accidental damage and theft, not just for inside your home, but outside as well. Make sure everything is watertight with your insurance people, otherwise, if there's a loophole, they'll find it.

Also, if you have an excess with your insurance, they will take the excess off of every single item! So, if you have a camera and 3 lenses, they will take the excess for the 4 items!
I had my golf equipment stolen from my car in the golf club car park quite a few years ago. I had just renewed everything, irons, clubs, shoes and bag. The insurance company took 50 excess off every item (200)
Stephen

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Jun 2012 - 12:22 PM

All above are good ideas we have done a similar exercise and all the details are with our other legal docs lodged with our bank that way even if the house burns down we still have a record

cats_123
20 Jun 2012 - 12:30 PM

Quote: You will normally find you have to give your insurance company details and serial numbers for any goods over a certain value. I assume you have your camera equipment insured, if not, tell your insurance company to put it on your policy and make sure it's insured for loss, accidental damage and theft, not just for inside your home, but outside as well. Make sure everything is watertight with your insurance people, otherwise, if there's a loophole, they'll find it.

Also, if you have an excess with your insurance, they will take the excess off of every single item! So, if you have a camera and 3 lenses, they will take the excess for the 4 items!
I had my golf equipment stolen from my car in the golf club car park quite a few years ago. I had just renewed everything, irons, clubs, shoes and bag. The insurance company took 50 excess off every item (200)
Stephen

my camera and lenses probably only amount to about 800 (new for old), but can imagine if anyone has pro equipment how expensive that could be...I still wouldn't like to have to replace them. I haven't got them separately itemised, but I ma covered away from home as well....and excess is 200. So good point, worth noting, thanks Smile

Quote: All above are good ideas we have done a similar exercise and all the details are with our other legal docs lodged with our bank that way even if the house burns down we still have a record

I have somewhere safe to keep everything but need to consider where best off-site. Smile

keithh
keithh  1022818 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 12:32 PM

Don't forget to record all your serial numbers on www.immobilise.com. The police can then search for owners of recovered property via the National Mobile Property Register.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Lynx08
Lynx08 e2 Member 61232 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
20 Jun 2012 - 12:36 PM

Quote: BTW, they also allow a small discount if you agree to undergo a lie detector test in the event of a claim.

Seems a bit extreme! even with a high crime rate. Which insurance company are you with?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 12:41 PM

Quote: You can guard against overlooking anything by doing a short video panning round the entire room.

Exactly what I have done.

As to serial numbers, it is not something that insurance companies tend to ask about. They know so few people bother to keep a record.

keithh
keithh  1022818 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 12:44 PM

Quote: BTW, they also allow a small discount if you agree to undergo a lie detector test in the event of a claim.

They want you to submit to something that is inadmissible in court?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.