Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photography at its best.

Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
6 Feb 2010 11:36AM
Great stuff!
I shall look properly when I've more time but that site looks promising.
Thanks Jezz.
Jester.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

idem dito
SteveCharles
12 2.3k 18 England
6 Feb 2010 11:54AM
Excellent stuff. Very good street work, and in many ways quintessentially British. I think a lot of it has a very contemporary sensibility too, despite being dated by the content.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
7 Feb 2010 4:30PM
Really enjoyed that little slide show

There was so much else in those shots other than the subjects - things like bill boards, cars, flags etc. that added to the story.

Should we really be cloning that kind of thing out of our photos today?

The other thing is being aware of these moments happening around you - I often take the camera into town when shopping and it's a lot harder getting meaningful shots that tell a story, than anything I've attempted other genres such as architecture and landscape.

People are tricky, they move, they see you and change - trees and buildings just stand to attention for you Smile
User_Removed 7 736 4
7 Feb 2010 4:41PM

Quote: But under today's laws on requiring the permission of anyone in the photograph to be allowed for it to be published, could you get away with it now?
Or are there different rules/regulations with street photography.

Ken

Images used for editorial do not require permission.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Feb 2010 5:18PM
Excellent, well worth seeing.

Quote:The other thing is being aware of these moments happening around you - I often take the camera into town when shopping and it's a lot harder getting meaningful shots that tell a story, than anything I've attempted other genres such as architecture and landscape

I customised my kit especially for the street, I no longer use digital, it simply does not respond quick enough, remove lens cap, switch on, set this, set that etc.

A smallish zone focusing film camera, with little or no metering, no auto focusing and with very basic shutter control does the job.

Quote:People are tricky, they move, they see you and change - trees and buildings just stand to attention for you

Simple, make yourself invisible Smile Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
7 Feb 2010 6:52PM
....they'd be ringing the terrorist squad if they spotted you hid in the trees with a camera Wink

I guess a Leica M9 would be handy for street stuff - nice and small Wink
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
7 Feb 2010 6:58PM

Quote:There was so much else in those shots other than the subjects - things like bill boards, cars, flags etc. that added to the story.

Should we really be cloning that kind of thing out of our photos today?

I don't think we should Ade.

I look back at images of myself taken perhaps fifty years ago by my parents and grandparents.

These were people who couldn't tell one end of a camera from the other but those shots are full of the kind of poignant details to which you refer.

The very same kind of detail that I'm removing, or excluding when I take the shot, from the thousands of photographs I've got of my daughter.

Jester.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Feb 2010 9:19PM

Quote:....they'd be ringing the terrorist squad if they spotted you hid in the trees with a camera

They would have to spot me first, not that I use tree`s Smile

The link bellow fits in well here Smile

Documenting the human condition

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.