Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photography at Motocross Tracks

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111064 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 5:24 PM

hi cuffit just took a look at your bike shots, very good welcome to the no votes club Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Oct 2012 - 5:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cuffit
cuffit  7161 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 11:42 PM

Hi Colin

I don't get many votes for mine as you point out and if I have your meaning correct, motorsports doesn't seem to fare too well against other categories. I have thought about it but as long as I get one or two votes, then at least it has caught someone's eye - I think someone has always saved me from zero! Perhaps our shots all look the same to viewers as we often take photos, by dint of access, at the same places (Brands hairpin for example (not that I have been to that track), Cadwell at the Mountain etc.

I have improved though through the site and every now and again you see a motorsports shot which leaps out at you and it scores really well -by which I mean, say, 15 votes and upwards - and every now and again a 30 or more so it is possible.

Having said all that, I suppose that the number of photographers interested in motorsports on this site is probably proportional to those interested within the country as a whole. I also think that with an increasing number of photographers on the site since I started, the photo soon disappears off the radar as the pages drift quickly to the right, so they may not be seen as much as they used to be.

Glad you liked some of the shots, there may be hope for me yet! The meetings are always a great day out so we win anyway.

Chris

snapbandit
26 Oct 2012 - 7:26 AM

Another tip I used for years while shooting MX (as well as Supermoto/circuits & anywhere else where I had to go out in all weather/dust conditions) for gear protection, was cover the kit (camera & lens) in electrical/insulating tape (I used to cut in so as to only leave the buttons/dials I needed visible), this will help to seal all the joints where dust etc. can get into the camera & lens and it also keeps the kit in far better looking condition when selling on as the dust will act as 'grinding paste' on the finish of the kit as it is handled.

I don't shoot for the magazines/papers any more so can pick & choose which meetings/conditions I go out in now and am rapidly turning into a 'fair weather tog!'

HTH

Joe B

cuffit
26 Oct 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hi Joe, an interesting solution. Is the choice of electrical insulating tape because it peels away from the camera without leaving any 'glue' on the lens? I imagine this would look preety odd but, as previous ideas have mentioned, if it keeps the dust out. It's the focussing ring that I thought might be an issue when covering the lens but I shall have to give all these ideas a good look over the winter.

I think I am a BSB 'fair weather man' unless it starts to rain after I have got there, if only because it costs so much in fuel to travel then find the pratice/racing is off. However, I have a capable 4x4 to make sure I can get in and out of most muddy paddocks but the rain this year didn't even give organizers the chance of holding the meetings.

Chris

snapbandit
26 Oct 2012 - 11:14 AM

Yes (in my experience) electrical tape does not leave any residue on any of the bodies or lenses I have ever used it on. on lenses I left the focussing ring & zoom ring (if a zoom lens) clear and taped over the switches, having checlked they were set to A/M focus & VR off (pointless for most motorsport pics), same with camera bodies I only left the few switches/buttons I needed clear.
after removing the tape there was not a scratch on the bodies (apart from a crack in a D70 body when it got dropped onto concrete with a 300 f2.8 lens attached Sad , still worked fine though! Smile )

takes a bit of time to do but as I wasn't taking the tape off for weeks (apart from the battery cover door on grip & card slot covers) it was well worth it.

Joe B

cuffit
28 Oct 2012 - 10:08 AM

Joe, thanks for the tip, I will gve it a try. Chris

Johno450
Johno450  3 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2012 - 10:39 PM

As another point of lens protection Chris.... I use Lens Coat neoprene covers on both my 70-200 f2.8 and 300 f2.8.... each set a tad expensive.... but what cost in looking after those expensive L series optics Smile

There also used to be a company called Camera Armour that made rubber coverings for camera bodies.... they seem to have gone off the radar now though :-(

Joe's tip on elec tape is a good idea... I've not tried that one.... mind you I suffer a bit from that 'fair weather' tog syndrome too Smile

On the subject of motorsports images and votes.... it seems to be a closed subject with not as large fan base as the general photography likes.... always mystified me.... who likes what etc..... still 'horses for courses'

I'm going to try and start getting to more of the tracks next year.... lets hope the weather is kinder to the meetings.

John.

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111064 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2012 - 10:50 AM

camera armour for a 7d here

Johno450
Johno450  3 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2012 - 5:24 AM

Thanks Colin Smile I have seen this Silicone Skin for the 7D before at Bristol Cameras.... might try it.
The original covers were from a company Camera Armour which also made covers for the battery grips too.... they used to be available from Wex.... but I've not seen them and think they were originally from the USA...

John.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.