Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photography copyright

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MissAngeldust
24 Apr 2012 - 9:36 AM

Not been doing photograph long and need some advice. A local business has asked if they may use 9 of my photographs in there brochure I have said yes and I'm currently sorting out the photographs. As I know the people who run the business I have said that they can use the photographs and I would like to be have acknowledgement for taking them on the brochure.

I would like to get them to sign some sort of contract so they can't reuse the photographs in any other advertising,web page etc, that they acknowledge that the copyright still belongs to me and will give me acknowledgement for taking the photographs. Would I need to write down the photograph details from the properties? Is there any templates online that could help?? Part of me wishes that I'd said NO now.

Thank in advance for any help and advice

Trina. x

P.S maybe I should of asked for payment

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Apr 2012 - 9:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
24 Apr 2012 - 10:50 AM

Go to the AoP site and download their documentation.

You're being very sensible but be aware that copyright protection only applies to big corporations such as Getty. Ordinary photographers enjoy no such protection!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 24 Apr 2012 - 10:51 AM
llareggub
llareggub  3664 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Apr 2012 - 11:07 AM

"You're being very sensible but be aware that copyright protection only applies to big corporations such as Getty. Ordinary photographers enjoy no such protection!"

I'm sure this is written tongue in cheek a swipe at large organisations but it is completely incorrect the minute you press the shutter button the image copyright belongs to you and you and only you can define how, where and why your photograph can be used.

Can't help with the resources I'm afraid but good luck!

clmsdeeming
24 Apr 2012 - 11:11 AM

Please see the following http://www.ipo.gov.uk/c-essential.pdf which will give you the full information you need. You do indeed have copyright protection in the UK and you do not have to get a certificate etc.

Last Modified By clmsdeeming at 24 Apr 2012 - 11:12 AM
MissAngeldust
24 Apr 2012 - 11:14 AM

Thank you all for your advice and will let you know how I get on.

hornchurch
26 Apr 2012 - 3:22 PM

I think you should be paid and ask for payment..... the business will I guess make money from your images improving there brochure... and you are taking time sorting and supplyng the images If they commisioned the images they would have to pay..... I would not supply any business for a credit or byeline....

MissAngeldust
26 Apr 2012 - 8:24 PM

I'm not sure what the brochure is going to be used for as I didn't ask, just assumed it would be advertising for them and as rightly said they will be making money from the advertising. I have known the owners of the business for quite awhile and as I haven't had any work published before thought that it would help get my name out there, as I'm a complete beginner to photography (2yrs) and have no qualifications. This is going to be the first and last freebie. Going to see them on Saturday with the images..I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Smile

thewilliam
27 Apr 2012 - 10:43 AM

Quote: Be aware that copyright protection only applies to big corporations such as Getty. Ordinary photographers enjoy no such protection!

Yes, this was written tongue in cheek. Maybe I should have said that ordinary photographers are often unable to enforce their copyright unless there's a big brother, like AoP, in the background.

One woman in our local business scene stole a picture from a website and then had a bill from Getty, who owned the imge, for a whisker short of GBP1000. This was about 50 times as much as the licence fee would have been. After taking advice, she paid up because it was her cheapest option. Getty can afford to keep the punters in line by funding the occasional law suit.

I'm convinced that UK laws are framed to protect those who fund the political parties who form the government. The average voter can be manipulated by the media so doesn't come into the equation.

llareggub
llareggub  3664 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Apr 2012 - 11:05 AM

I agree that it is much more difficult for us "little people" to assert our copyright and it is certainly framed to protect the interests of large organisations, but it is still ours Smile

UK copyright laws are largely part of a global framework and the product of much negotiation with HUGE multinational corporations/industries and their lobyists aimed at stiffling competition and protecting the positions of those that have found themselves at the top of the pile rather than the interests and rights of independent businesses. But that's just my point of view.

contemporary dave

Yes, you should ask for payment. They want to use your photographs for commercial gain.

No doubt they are paying the brochure designer and the priner, so they should pay you too.

meercat
meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Apr 2012 - 8:18 PM

Quote: I think you should be paid and ask for payment..... the business will I guess make money from your images improving there brochure... and you are taking time sorting and supplyng the images If they commisioned the images they would have to pay..... I would not supply any business for a credit or byeline....

Quote: Yes, you should ask for payment. They want to use your photographs for commercial gain.

No doubt they are paying the brochure designer and the priner, so they should pay you too.

This is something I find quite interesting, I have read it numberous times here and there, people saying you should always ask for payment etc. They are getting commercial gain etc. yet both the two people quoted above have images posted on this very website, "given" free of charge to the profit making company to use on this site (only in your gallery but it still attracts people to the site) what is the difference?

This isn't a dig Grin but an honest question, why is it seen as fine to do this, but giving your work free for a brochure (as long as you get a tagline etc. is frowned upon?

contemporary dave
29 Apr 2012 - 12:19 PM

Quote:
This is something I find quite interesting, I have read it numberous times here and there, people saying you should always ask for payment etc. They are getting commercial gain etc. yet both the two people quoted above have images posted on this very website, "given" free of charge to the profit making company to use on this site (only in your gallery but it still attracts people to the site) what is the difference?

This isn't a dig Grin but an honest question, why is it seen as fine to do this, but giving your work free for a brochure (as long as you get a tagline etc. is frowned upon?

An interesting point.

I see the galleries here are to showcase your work to fellow enthusiasts. EPZ's main source of income comes from the ads they display and not from my and your pics - and personally I am cool with that. Where it is clear that a business wants to use my work to make money from my skill and expertise, then they have to pay.

hornchurch
29 Apr 2012 - 1:30 PM

in answer to meer cat well.... the images I have on here are different to he ones I Sell through agencies, getting a tagline or byeline does not pay your mortgage or household bill, there are lots of people that think because they know a phtographer he will work for free or supply images for free..... and I refuse all request like this.....if that person gets the hump about it thats fair enough... in my case if I need help with something i can not do myself i will always pay and insist on paying, wether thats a friend sorting out a pc problem, giving me a lift in there car etc etc..... i will always pay......... if a commercial company expects you to work for nothing then refuse it.. and let them buy images through a agency.....

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2012 - 1:45 PM

It happens all the time - some lass from Halifax was after some shots for the cover of her "local ads mag" - I emailed for details and was proudly told that "you get a credit which is great publicity"....

cool, so how does that help pay the mortgage?

I asked for a full page ad in return for a front cover photo

The reply was that a page is worth 150, she didn't want to do the trade.... and she could get a stock image for a few pounds if needed (which pissed me right off).

So I just didn't reply...

Then I got a message saying she'd swap an editoral feature for 3 covers...

After a bit of pondering, I said I'd need a feature of at least 4 pages to showcase the images and get the message out...

She offered 1 page... AFTER the 3 covers had been used...

People take the piss, 1 page for 3 = crap deal.... and only after the 3 covers had been use was terrible, they may go out of business before that! And it showed no trust on her part

I just wished her good luck in the search and left her to it.

No doubt someone will give her the free cover and f**k up the industry further for us all

hornchurch
30 Apr 2012 - 12:43 AM

Ade you are right..... there is even a site that allows people to upload images and people can take them for free for just a byeline..... microstock agencies that sell your image for 50p are only a fraction better...... here is the freebie site ................

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/faq.php

you go out for the day and with your 400-5000 worth of camera equipment you take a good image you then let a company have it for a byeline or for 50p..... utterly senseless......Rant over

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.