Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

photography course

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
leanne21
leanne21  2 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2012 - 8:23 PM

hi i am new to photography and want to pursue my career in this been looking at courses and have seen the photography institute has people enroled on this course would love to hear back thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Apr 2012 - 8:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
22 Apr 2012 - 9:30 PM

Welcome to ePHOTOzine Leanne.

This site is a first-class resource for learning about photography but...

Quote: hi i am new to photography and want to pursue my career in this

I have to ask...

Quote: ...career...

Why? What is your motivation to go down this route?

scottishphototours

Leanne there have been several recent threads about this on epz you can try going to the search box in the top right hand part of the screen and entering a search term like "courses" and there will be lots of forum posts that are there for you to read and these may help you make your mind up and help you in your decision as to whether or not this is the kind of career that you would be interetsed in or whether or not you'd be better of going to college and doing something like english lit or summit hope this helps you in your quest to be the best that you can be in your life thanks andy Wink

Last Modified By scottishphototours at 22 Apr 2012 - 10:50 PM
leanne21
23 Apr 2012 - 8:53 AM

hello cos i want a change in life i studied health and social care and its just not me ive got my heart set on this now my parnter got me a dslr camera for my birthday to start but reading some of the posts about photography institute but ive come across regent acadamy which looks good these have sent a information pack out which is very interesting aparently when i pass i will get ncfe level 3 qualification and will get a regent academy diploma just need to read up about it going to ring them up this morning see what there about i want to do portraits and wedding etc in the future and have my own studio

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82312 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2012 - 9:21 AM

Welcome to the site.

You need to know what you are up against... I remember reading a stat on here a year or two ago that claimed that there are more UK photography graduates per year (university graduates) than there are full time professional photographers working in europe. Its a hard job and one that isn't laden with the money many imagine. I suspect that the 80:20 rule applies - 80% of pro photographers struggle to get by and only the top 20% make any serious money.

Still that said... we should all occasionally follow the dreams we have.

Go for it Leanne! Grin

Oh - and by the way. I seem to recall a few of the epz staff doing the course you mention. You might want to take a trawl through the articles (see the Home tan above - the articles link can be found under this)

Regards,

Adam (firmly a hobbits with no professional photographic ambitions!)

leanne21
23 Apr 2012 - 9:27 AM

ok thank you for your info hopefully i will make it and have a better career from what i have now thanks again x

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2012 - 9:28 AM

Good luck on this leanne, The skills you need to have any chance of success are not photographic but what you need to learn is how to market yourself, to run a business and any skills that find you work, Wasting your money on qualifications will have no effect on if you succeed or not as all the information is out there for free. Most successful photographers out there have never taken a course in there life.
You need also to research your local area and find out if there would be a demand for what type of work you want to focus on.

The world has changed and the photographer is now ten a penny due to Cameras being much better so to stand out you have to be better and prepared to work round the clock finding work, Picture taking comes a second place. taking pictures for pleasure can be very fulfilling but for a living a nightmare. Something I personally couldent even contemplate.

TonyBrooks
23 Apr 2012 - 5:27 PM

Hi Leanne

Not sure where you are geographically but if you were any where in Hertfordshire perhaps you would be interested in joining my studio group www.imagerealm.co.uk

Best of Luck

Tony

scottishphototours

Leanne,

OK, my first post was a bit of fun but now it's time to be serious.

KevSB has written a perfectly good reason why this will be FAR harder to acheive than you think. As a complete beginner you will not only have to master the camera, lenses, light, computers, software and post processing but you'll also have to master all aspects of business including accounting and marketing, not to mention the many thousands of pounds it could cost you by the time you actually get to your first customer and start building a portfolio and client base then generate a website.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but too many people think this whole photography lark is a great way of making money and that it's easy - it just is not. I have worked very hard at this for a long time now and we recently closed our studio due to the recession - people are just not spending money on photography these days.

Naturally you can take all of this with a pinch of salt, but I've taken 5 minutes of my life to give you some heartfelt advice and wish you success in whatever you choose to do.

Andy.

PS - did you notice my punctuation this time?

leanne21
23 Apr 2012 - 8:39 PM

i didn't say it would be easy did i! everyone has to start from somewhere and im starting now i didn't say i would make lots of money at the end of the day its something i want to do i know i have to learn the other side of things including managing a buisness but i have alot of help in that feild and will learn my self so you can try to rain on my parade but at least you can give me a chance im not asking for all the negativity about starting on my own as i have at least 5 more years of learning to go through things first before i even start up!

leanne21
23 Apr 2012 - 8:41 PM

if it dont work out for me at the end then at least i tryed and i will have a job to fall back up on its not like i will quit working to become this i just want something different for me and my family Smile
thankyou for the advice though x

leanne21
23 Apr 2012 - 8:47 PM

just cos it didn't work out for you doesn't mean it wont work out for everyone else thanks!!

Jestertheclown
23 Apr 2012 - 8:54 PM

Quote: PS - did you notice my punctuation this time?

A very valid point.

An even-only-half-way decent grasp of basic English grammar will go a long way when you're dealing with clients.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 23 Apr 2012 - 8:54 PM
kathrynlouise
kathrynlouise e2 Member 2364 forum postskathrynlouise vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2012 - 10:25 PM

I wish you all the best Leanne.
But i wouldn't dismiss everything that people have said, i don't think its them being negative, i think its those who have been/are in the business just giving you the plus and minus points. These guys could help you alot with the experience they have.
Grin
Take care

Kathryn

scottishphototours

Quote: Just cos it didn't work out for you doesn't mean it wont work out for everyone else thanks!!

Leanne, we're doing over 40 weddings this year and have ongoing contracts with local businesses and hotel groups as well as working for a few very well known clients, so we're not exactly skint...

Yet again an offer of honest advice is given to a newbie, who then spits in my face. Will I never learn?!!

Jester has pointed out the reason why you'll fall at the first hurdle in this game. Suggest you read his advice too.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.