Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photography course/training

4 Feb 2013 10:37PM
Hi All,

Do you know where can I get some good photography training/course.

I want to improve.

Look at my photos you'll know what I'm talking about!

Tony

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

4 Feb 2013 10:43PM
I am coming to the end of a 5 week beginners class at our local college and have just signed up for a 10 week creative digital photography course as well,really enjoyable and learnt lots,also good to get with like minded people.

Andy
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
4 Feb 2013 10:56PM
Depends on your level of knowledge already.
Check out The Open University course T189.
4 Feb 2013 10:57PM
Where is that?
4 Feb 2013 11:03PM
Adrian, I just had a look at the OU course looks interesting. Have you done this course?
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
4 Feb 2013 11:17PM
No but my wife did it last year & she thoroughly enjoyed it. Learned a lot as well.
11 Feb 2013 5:40PM

Quote:I had a look at your images and I can say that you really need a strong infusion of pro photographic training at this stage. Amongst skills you need to acquire you will mainly need to learn how to use your eyes, yes your eyes not your camera and about light. Saying that, you will need to ensure you will be trained by a pro-active art / commercial photographer who has a good level of photographic skills, someone who uses these skills every day.

Photoion: what seems to be the issue with my eyes? Or understanding of light?

What's wrong with my photographic techniques?

What is your academic qualification?

If you give me a brief emanation, I may condpsider booking a course from you.

Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 6:43PM
I think that was just a blatant excuse for a plug. There is plenty you can look into and learn before rushing into a course that will cost a lot of money. For instance, there are a lot of tutorials and stuff on here worth looking at first.

Maybe a project, or concentrating on one type of subject, an area (such as within a mile of your home, or a local beauty spot or parkland) or trying something you haven't tried before (still life, product shots, home portraits, cars, sport, clouds....the list is as long as your imagination). Looking at a few pics on here doesn't tell much about your ability or knowledge, and chatting with other photographers will often spark something and you can ask anything on here. There is usually no such thing as a stupid question, and if you are embarrassed about asking what you think is an obvious one, you can always pm one of the moderators or members.

The critique gallery is a good place to start.... Be prepared for posters to say what they think is wrong, but most are helpful and often show in a modification what they mean. Be sure to include exposure details and what you are trying to achieve, then you will get a lot of constructive help.

This may not be much help, and courses can be good, but I like the idea of exhausting the free options first... Photography doesn't have to be expensive!

Nick
11 Feb 2013 9:47PM
Thanks Nick!
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
12 Feb 2013 5:37AM
I had a look at your PF Tony, I think it shows quite a bit of potential. I would hazard a guess you are drawn more to mono abstract type images.

One thing you could do very quickly at no cost would be to go through the galleries, favourite images you like. Then go back and analyse for yourself why you like them, and why they work for you. Although one bit of advice would be to cut back on the over tone mapped look in some of your images.
Jok5 e2
7 6 Scotland
27 Feb 2013 11:38PM
Tony if your in Scotland I would recommend Douglas Ritchie. I just done a 1to 1 with him on Monday was a great experience. Highly recommended.
28 Feb 2013 5:19PM
Unfortunately I'm not in Scotland, but thanks for suggesting!
28 Feb 2013 6:52PM
Hi Tony. I never had the money to do a course or anything. Have been on here just over a year and initially put all my images in the critique gallery and the help and advice was invaluable, there's nothing that someone on here won't be able to help you with and all willing to share their knowledge. Grin
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
28 Feb 2013 6:57PM
You can find the critique gallery under photos / galleries / select a gallery / critique gallery
... Or following the link below

http://www.ephotozine.com/critique-gallery
28 Feb 2013 8:23PM

Quote:Hi Tony. I never had the money to do a course or anything. Have been on here just over a year and initially put all my images in the critique gallery and the help and advice was invaluable, there's nothing that someone on here won't be able to help you with and all willing to share their knowledge. Grin

I agree: I'll start doing this from now on.

Thank you

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.