Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photography Exhibitions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Billlee
Billlee  85531 forum posts England
19 Aug 2006 - 8:30 PM

Today I went to a Photographic Exhibition, a landscape/seascape photographer was displaying her efforts, some images I must admit were high quality, but some of the beach'n'sea and seascape images had the horizons right in the middle of the view and also had sloping horizons including a huge 40"x30" seascape with a 3" slope and a price tag of £390!! An information sheet informed me that the photographer had several qualifications and degrees in photographic art and was using a Hasslebad!! The photographer was not present at the exhibition. Has anyone else come across this phenomenon??? It helps to make me think I'm in with a chance of making a sale one day!! Bill.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Aug 2006 - 8:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023194 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2006 - 8:35 PM

Putting an horizon in the middle of an image is not a crime...in fact it's a compositional aid to achieving the feel of open space.

So before we go any further.....

joolsb
joolsb  1027115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2006 - 8:36 PM

Fair point Keith... but a sloping horizon???

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014171 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2006 - 8:36 PM

Maybe she is confident enough in her work not to have to follow "the rules".

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2006 - 8:39 PM

In France I saw photographs of Étretat exhibited (a place much like Durdle Door, only on the French side of the water...), and they had exactly the same "problems" (?). But I had the impression the photographer was successful. They weren't quite as expensive as the ones mentioned above, but still.

Conrad

Kris_Dutson
19 Aug 2006 - 8:39 PM

Confident enough to be ok with a sloping horizon? I can't see that as a compositional aid.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023194 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2006 - 8:41 PM

I didnt see them, did you Kris?
Wink

name the photographer..maybe we can link to some examples?

Kris_Dutson
19 Aug 2006 - 8:47 PM

Fair point Keith, I should've kept shtum until I'd seen an example.

Hey, maybe she's an Irish water skier and found the fabled lake...

Wink

keithh
19 Aug 2006 - 8:50 PM

LOL....

I always forget my ruler and set square when I go to exhibitions.

andytvcams
andytvcams  1210396 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Aug 2006 - 8:51 PM

Yep Ive seen many with sloping horizons

but then the Artist will tell you that they were trying to be different from the norm

And with some wonderful comments by so called Art critics.

it commands a hefty price tag.

In reality they are just crap

Billlee
Billlee  85531 forum posts England
19 Aug 2006 - 8:54 PM

I agree a midline horizon can work but it has to be a cracking shot, not all of these were IMHO. What I really wondered was if anyone else had seen exhibitions where you were hit in the eye by such an obvious "beginner's error". Bill.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110369 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2006 - 8:58 PM

Couldn't agree more with your analysis Andy! Smile

joolsb
joolsb  1027115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2006 - 8:59 PM

Perhaps it wasn't the picture that was the problem? Maybe somebody simply forgot it wasn't supposed to be hung straight?

keithh
19 Aug 2006 - 9:17 PM

what beginners error? Turner did it a few years back on regular basis...and after he passed beginners stage too. Central horizons don't need to be astounding shots they are just part of the armoury.

what was the artists name anyway?

Last year a mate of mine was hanging one of Monet's Houses of Parliament (an original I might add). You'll have seen it - purple tinge, reflection in the Thames etc.

It had been on his wall for a week before someone pointed out it was upside down.

c_evans99
c_evans99  117013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2006 - 9:32 PM

Bleedin' thirds... if they'd only put something else on page one of the rule book

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.