Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photography Franchises

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
SosFM
SosFM  581 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Hi,
just doing a bit of research. I wondered if anyone has any knowledge of either of these photography franchises:

http://www.redhotcamera.com/About/About.aspx
or
http://www.thelimestudio.com/Home_Photographers.aspx

Or is anyone already a franchisee?
All thoughts, comments welcome.
Thanks,
Soren.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
1 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

no experience, just wondering how much they charge (rip you off) to buy into the franchise.

And is it one of those where they promise you an area and that your the only one, yet they have another 10 people with the same promise.

Can't see it being a cheap franchise, 5-10K ?

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
1 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

UPDATE

Found this about Red Hot Camera.

http://www.businessfranchise.com/profiles/148/

I was wrong the franchise isn't 5-10K it's 20-40K

TonyBrooks
2 May 2012 - 9:29 AM

personally I would avoid like the plague the only People that make out of these ventures are the Franchises.If you are a good competant Photographer and I'm sure you are then work off your on back

Best wishes

Tony

MrGoatsmilk
2 May 2012 - 9:45 AM

Just think of the training and equipment a fraction of the above amounts would buy you.

thewilliam
2 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Check out Barrett & Coe.

Not exactly the cheapest but Andrew Coe reckons that he can take a complete novice to profit in 2 months because their training is so thorough.

The whole point of a franchise is that a novice doesn't have to invent his/her own wheels. That comes at a price but the business should be profitable straight away and the B&C success rate is near 100%. Bear in mind that over 80% of photographic businesses fail within the first year.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 2 May 2012 - 10:56 AM
SosFM
2 May 2012 - 1:28 PM

I knew there was a tremendous difference between RHC and Lime Studio for buying into the franchise. There are some tremendous differences between them both. RHC main selling point is their use of telescopic masts for aerial photography which are vehicle mounted. I dont want to give too much away but I can see a benefit there for me due to my background. Also Lime Studio do a half day training compared to a 2 or 3 week course for RHC and the promise of further training. So what you get for your money is substantially different but for 40K you would expect that.

I have done some research and RHC seem to be predominant in the SE I am in the NE and can find no trace of them up here.

I will check out B&C, thanks for the tip and giving me the reality check!

Still willing to listen to any other responders if people have anything to say.

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
2 May 2012 - 2:03 PM

A freind went into a similar francise last year cost 45,750.
He got a Ford connect van equipped with a 7.4 metre skyway mast and a list of estate agents within the home counties, it was implied that they were expecting him to contact them.
He had been told up to three weeks training would be provided and would he bring with him 20 x A4 colour prints of work he had done.
He duly arrived at an industrial unit in Birmingham showed his work to the manager who told him that his photos were good and that he didnt need any training.
He was issued with the keys to the van a 58 reg with 113,000 miles on the clock and sent on his way.
The estate agents he contacted had little if any interest in what he had to offer and had never heard of the company.
To date he has struggled to make any money let alone a profit

4 year old clapped out van 7.4 metre skyway mast and a list of estate agents for 45,750 nice profits for someone

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2012 - 2:17 PM

Five grand for a 20 meter van pole, five grand for a van, a grand for fittings and extras, and a couple of grand for a 15 meter free standing pole.

Where does the 40K come in? that's a lot of cold (even warm) contacts if that's all they give you.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2012 - 2:44 PM

Knowledge transfer Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2012 - 3:19 PM

Sounds more like a money transfer - pure and simple - the other way! Wink

SosFM
2 May 2012 - 3:36 PM

IKKY - thats interesting, sounds like them. is your friend an ephoto member? Not the picture they portray on their web site. Following all these posts with great interest. Any one else?

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2012 - 5:24 PM

Not a comment about the franchise, but have worked for an estate agent now for 13 years and they do all their own photography. On most properties, the margins are not big enough to get a company in to do the photographs. I don't know about some of the large city companies, but from talking to other companies, in house is the norm.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2012 - 8:26 AM

Before the economy crashed I was making a reasonable living doing property and commercial work (estate agents, developers, etc). I did their photography and produced high quality brochures for the top end properties. As soon as the property market stalled the agents that didn't go out of business cut their photography budgets right back and went back to taking their own (awful) photographs.

Some of the agents who do a lot of expensive property still use 'professionals' but the margins are very tight and it would be very difficult for a new business to break in to the market at this point. What makes it worse is that agents only get paid when the property eventually sells, so they can be very slow to pay their bills.

Ian

isphoto
isphoto  928 forum posts Ireland
3 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hi Soren

You may want to check out this book, its a download http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Guide-Buying-Franchise-ebook/dp/B005EM714M/ref=sr... it helped me in not ploughing into a franchise too fast.

I would be very weary of any franchise that was not a well known brand name and one that would not deliver customers day one, You really have to weigh up how much business could you generate yourself if you spent that amount of money on a local marketing campaign dedicated to your business, remember if you buy a franchise you will still have to spend money on kit and marketing and your prices will have to reflect you getting your money back over and above your normal business.

Good luck

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.