Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photography homework help?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MockingJayJonas

Im about to start my A-levels and my new school have given me some summer photography homework except I don't get any of it and have no Idea what to do! So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Here's what my homework says;

Theme:Rock,paper scissors-The hand game

As an art project this seems to suggest that you generate ideas about the qualities of materials but it can be about much more.You can use this game as a starting point to look at the relationships between almost everything around us including Human and Animal interaction.

You are going to use photography as a means of exploring the rock,paper,scissors theme.

Please take lots of photos including;

Single shot images
Collaged
A mosaic of contrasting images which together make a shape.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? This is the first time I've done any photography as I normally do fine art.I find this theme too brief and I am absolutely clueless.I really need a starting point idea so I can go out and start snapping some photos!

THANKS Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Aug 2012 - 7:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 7:56 PM

Hi sorry if this sounds cruel, but if we give you ideas we kill the whole point of the exercise.

So err get a piece of paper and scribble down thoughts and ideas that you relate to the theme of Rock,paper scissors and then work out ways of taking photo's to explore that. It has to be personal and come from your life, current or past experiences.

Jestertheclown
30 Aug 2012 - 8:06 PM

. . . and you've got a week left in which to do it!

MockingJayJonas

Quote: . . . and you've got a week left in which to do it!

How do you know that.............

robthecamman
30 Aug 2012 - 9:05 PM

sounds like its testing your creativity youv gotta think an idea then show it

Jestertheclown
30 Aug 2012 - 9:06 PM

I'm assuming that it was supposed to have been done during the summer holidays and before the time that schools re-convene next Thursday.

That's the way summer homework has been applied in the schools where I've worked.

MockingJayJonas

Quote: I'm assuming that it was supposed to have been done during the summer holidays and before the time that schools re-convene next Thursday.

That's the way summer homework has been applied in the schools where I've worked.

PHEWWWWWWW I thought you were going to say that you were my art teacher Grin

Jestertheclown
30 Aug 2012 - 9:49 PM

No. I've taught a few things but art was never one of them!

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 9:57 PM

What does the game rock, paper, scissors mean to you? What talks to you about that?

MockingJayJonas
30 Aug 2012 - 10:15 PM

Quote: What does the game rock, paper, scissors mean to you? What talks to you about that?

To me its just a game,a cycle of actions representing wrapping,cutting and blunting.......no Idea how I can turn that into a photo though :/

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 10:26 PM

Quote: PHEWWWWWWW I thought you were going to say that you were my art teacher

lol that would have been so unfortunate.

It's hard not to help without helping. I always think it's too easy to ask someone else for the answer and then you do not learn how to solve problems

So you need to get thinking about the game - why do you play the game? what does it do? how does it develop?
Think laterally...explore the concepts

have you tried searching rock, paper and scissors to see what photographic images come up? They won't be the right kind for this project but they may get you thinking.

Try writing ideas down and then go out and try to recreate the ideas photographically.

When you've done it will you come back and share what you did? I'd be interested in seeing the results Smile

Last Modified By Pete at 30 Aug 2012 - 10:28 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014059 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 10:28 PM

Well you could start with something quite literal:
Paper wraps stone : A gift wrapped rock
Scissors cut paper: scissors cutting up money
stone blunts scissors: A pair of scissors bending as they cut the rock

or reverse them
stone wraps paper: a rock cut in half to show some paper
paper cuts scissors: A paper knife cutting through a pair of chocolate scissors
scissors blunt stone: errm something blunty happening Wink

crap ideas but might get you thinking

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 10:40 PM

Well give him all the answers then Chris Wink

so now you have example like A gift wrapped rock think about more examples that could illustrate this using the same thought process and you'll be sorted.

Eviscera
Eviscera  81098 forum posts United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 11:49 PM

Quote: but if we give you ideas we kill the whole point of the exercise.

Bollocks , that aint helping inspiration.

Be creative Jonas, think how the project would stand different u-sing analogous ideas.

Rock= Hard , rugged ,

Paper = soft , foldy

Scissors = open , closed , animated

etc

Just mix and natch the base themes (or if you not into art) create a well lit still life thats not to contrived and relates the structure of each.

project.jpg

Right , thats it im stoned , nite

Ian White
Ian White  11177 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Aug 2012 - 8:18 AM

What about 3 pictures

One of rock,one of paper,one of Scissors hand shapes as you would play the game , on black backgrounds just the hand in the picture

Just an idea, i think i do some thing like that

Ian

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.