Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photography in Churches

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : time please

iancrowson e2
4 211 129 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 2:41PM
Have you any experience hassle when taking photos in churches? No not you wedding guys, your always at it! I was recently in the Greek Islands and captured what I felt was a special insiite shot of a Greek Priest at the alter, but I was outside. Last year in Spain I was man handled to the door of a church in Toleda for taking photos. Has anybody any experience of Cuba where I' going in the New Year?
regards
Ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 3:02PM
I'm not sure what their rules are but here's a taster... .
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 3:13PM
The simple answer is to ask!
steve486 e2
4 126 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 3:13PM
i have taken pictures in churches in italy,gb. france and spain. but my first rule is always ask.
Graysta 9 1.1k England
9 Oct 2012 7:48PM
The main problems alway's seem to be the C of E. I dont know why , I am if you want of their faith, but usually the Catholic Preist's offer a warm welcome and like their church to be photographed and they are usually more ornate than the Cof E. As said ask it always shows respect.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
9 Oct 2012 11:42PM

Quote:The main problems alway's seem to be the C of E

Absolutely. Why? Because the vicars are civil servants with a dog collar.Wink
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 11:51PM
I find in most cases if you show respect and ask first, people are more likely to be flattered and feel that as you have been polite they ought to say yes. If you just go ahead and take photo's you may well offend them and be seen as being disrespectful and selfish and so get the go away reaction.

For many a church is a place for privacy and contemplation and worship. As such they are avoiding the outside world and you plus your camera may be an invasion of that privacy.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Oct 2012 12:56AM

Quote:I find in most cases if you show respect and ask first, people are more likely to be flattered and feel that as you have been polite they ought to say yes.

I have found that as well. But not in all cases, sadly.............
newfocus e2
8 644 2 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 8:42AM

Quote:show respect and ask first

I'd have though that simple rule of courtesy goes for taking photos of anyone in any situation Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
10 Oct 2012 9:53AM
get photos first, ask questions later Wink

lol
Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 10:34AM
Many years ago I was doing a wedding at the Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral (Catholic), when a 'Jobsworth' told me to stop taking pictures in the cathedral, as, if I wished to have any pictures of the place I was welcome to buy postcards in their shop. He must have been blind not to see a bride & groom. Nevertheless I just laughed and carried on as I had sought the necessary permission from the correct source before carrying out the commission.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 11:01AM

Quote:He must have been blind not to see a bride & groom.
And the relevance of that is?

If the church decides no photography at certain points that is it. I attended one wedding where the vicar announced there would be no photographs during the service take it or find another church as they were fed up with people not paying respect to the building or the service. Plenty of time for photo's after the service in or around the church, but during the service it was an act of worship and dedication and as such that was all that was to occur.

It is their service and their facility, why not make it important and not allow photography. In the circumstances you were rude and also outside your rights. It is the churches property, and they are allowed to ban photography if they choose to do so.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
10 Oct 2012 11:30AM

Quote:The simple answer is to ask!

Absolutely. Even those of us who know there is no such thing as a supernatural god, as espoused by most church-based religions, should respect the beliefs of those poor souls who build and run churches. They are there for the "spiritual" needs of their flock; not as photo-props for the rest of us.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Oct 2012 4:04PM

Quote:It is the churches property, and they are allowed to ban photography if they choose to do so.

Yep. It's private property - just like one's own home.

Quote:Even those of us who know there is no such thing as a supernatural god

Gosh, how do you know - do tell! Wink
11 Oct 2012 12:15AM

Quote:Gosh, how do you know - do tell!

God only knows. Wink