Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photography in Churches

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: time please
iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 2:41 PM

Have you any experience hassle when taking photos in churches? No not you wedding guys, your always at it! I was recently in the Greek Islands and captured what I felt was a special insiite shot of a Greek Priest at the alter, but I was outside. Last year in Spain I was man handled to the door of a church in Toleda for taking photos. Has anybody any experience of Cuba where I' going in the New Year?
regards
Ian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Oct 2012 - 2:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122238 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 3:02 PM

I'm not sure what their rules are but here's a taster....

puertouk
puertouk  21065 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 3:13 PM

The simple answer is to ask!

steve486
steve486  3126 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 - 3:13 PM

i have taken pictures in churches in italy,gb. france and spain. but my first rule is always ask.

Graysta
Graysta  91134 forum posts England
9 Oct 2012 - 7:48 PM

The main problems alway's seem to be the C of E. I dont know why , I am if you want of their faith, but usually the Catholic Preist's offer a warm welcome and like their church to be photographed and they are usually more ornate than the Cof E. As said ask it always shows respect.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 11:42 PM

Quote: The main problems alway's seem to be the C of E

Absolutely. Why? Because the vicars are civil servants with a dog collar.Wink

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 11:51 PM

I find in most cases if you show respect and ask first, people are more likely to be flattered and feel that as you have been polite they ought to say yes. If you just go ahead and take photo's you may well offend them and be seen as being disrespectful and selfish and so get the go away reaction.

For many a church is a place for privacy and contemplation and worship. As such they are avoiding the outside world and you plus your camera may be an invasion of that privacy.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 12:56 AM

Quote: I find in most cases if you show respect and ask first, people are more likely to be flattered and feel that as you have been polite they ought to say yes.

I have found that as well. But not in all cases, sadly.............

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 8:42 AM

Quote: show respect and ask first

I'd have though that simple rule of courtesy goes for taking photos of anyone in any situation Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014788 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 9:53 AM

get photos first, ask questions later Wink

lol

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 10:34 AM

Many years ago I was doing a wedding at the Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral (Catholic), when a 'Jobsworth' told me to stop taking pictures in the cathedral, as, if I wished to have any pictures of the place I was welcome to buy postcards in their shop. He must have been blind not to see a bride & groom. Nevertheless I just laughed and carried on as I had sought the necessary permission from the correct source before carrying out the commission.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 11:01 AM

Quote: He must have been blind not to see a bride & groom.

And the relevance of that is?

If the church decides no photography at certain points that is it. I attended one wedding where the vicar announced there would be no photographs during the service take it or find another church as they were fed up with people not paying respect to the building or the service. Plenty of time for photo's after the service in or around the church, but during the service it was an act of worship and dedication and as such that was all that was to occur.

It is their service and their facility, why not make it important and not allow photography. In the circumstances you were rude and also outside your rights. It is the churches property, and they are allowed to ban photography if they choose to do so.

User_Removed
10 Oct 2012 - 11:30 AM

Quote: The simple answer is to ask!

Absolutely. Even those of us who know there is no such thing as a supernatural god, as espoused by most church-based religions, should respect the beliefs of those poor souls who build and run churches. They are there for the "spiritual" needs of their flock; not as photo-props for the rest of us.

Carabosse
10 Oct 2012 - 4:04 PM

Quote: It is the churches property, and they are allowed to ban photography if they choose to do so.

Yep. It's private property - just like one's own home.

Quote: Even those of us who know there is no such thing as a supernatural god

Gosh, how do you know - do tell! Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 12:15 AM

Quote: Gosh, how do you know - do tell!

God only knows. Wink

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: time please