Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photography in Churches

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: time please
Jestertheclown
11 Oct 2012 - 2:38 PM

Or alternatively, you can do it the easy way.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Oct 2012 - 2:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 2:46 PM

Sorry it came across to me that you were mocking a person who had a role in said religious building. Not being there you have to fill in the missing info from your content and how you react to questions. I get a clear picture now. I like the approach shown by Jester.

Last Modified By strawman at 11 Oct 2012 - 2:47 PM
Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 2:59 PM

I read Jester's approach, mine was even easier. The guy had no jurisdiaction and I was the official photographer with full permission from the clergy who were performing the ceremony. I was just attempting to tell a little story about taking pictures in a religious establishment. Perhaps those who failed to grasp that should confine themselves to Enit Blyton.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 3:09 PM

Should that read Innit Blyton?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014143 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 3:10 PM

Or south of the river Innit Blyton though? Innit Brov?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 3:19 PM

Ar fink it's ap Norf. Laverly church if memory serves, Guv.

thewilliam
11 Oct 2012 - 3:21 PM

About a decade ago, when I was doing the recce for a wedding due to be held in an RC cathederal, I was told that only the Bishop himself could authorise photography during the service.

Luckily the Bishop was taking his turn at confession duty, so I waited in line and "confessed" my unusual motive for seeing him. Permission was graciously granted.

As others have said, a little respect goes a long way. It's their church, after all.

keithh
11 Oct 2012 - 3:25 PM

But it's God's House. A letter from him would get you anything.

Dave_Canon
11 Oct 2012 - 3:50 PM

I have never had a problem photographing in churches anywhere and particularly in the UK. If I visit a large cathedral e.g. Gloucester, Worcester, York there is a charge for tripod photography and I gladly pay the charge which I find is a bargain considering the splendid photographs I can take and the cost of maintaining such splendid buildings. I have also visited many local village norman churches on Sunday mornings. It is common practice for one vicar to look after three churches and move around in rotation. We have arranged with either the Church Warden or Vicar to turn up (usually with a small group from my club) on a Sunday that they do not have a service. They have always been happy to open up just for us and only ask two things a. that we do not disturb anyone who comes in to pray; b. that we leave a donation. We have always stuck to this and left a generous donation thus maintaining excellent relations with the churches for future visits. We often send them a few photographs as well. We have never been turned down yet but would accept this if we were. As others have said the key thing is to ask.

Dave

strawman
11 Oct 2012 - 3:58 PM

Quote: Enit Blyton.

Certain at least its a step on from Janet and John Not everyone makes it onto the hard stuff. Wink

Last Modified By strawman at 11 Oct 2012 - 4:03 PM
Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 4:06 PM

Quote: Enid Blyton. Certain at least its a step on from Janet and John Not everyone makes it onto the hard stuff. Wink

I can see why you would like Janet & John, it has pictures instead of text.

strawman
11 Oct 2012 - 4:14 PM

Next week I hope to read Thomas the Tank engine and possible regress to a Jeffrey Archer. Why do you have to be so angry and aggressive with people? does it not worry you? And why do you feel the need to belittle people?

Last Modified By strawman at 11 Oct 2012 - 4:17 PM
whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 4:31 PM

The problem seems to stem from the original post which you stated
Quote: I just laughed and carried on

you didn't say that you explained that you had permission, which is why people may have thought you were being rude to the employee or volunteer, who after all were just doing the job/voluntary work they had been asked to do. You may have felt they were being a jobsworth, but we all have a job to do after all.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 11 Oct 2012 - 4:31 PM
simont
simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 4:45 PM

Quote: Many years ago ..... jobsworth ...... I just laughed and carried on

This was obviously back in the days when we had an Empire and ignorant behaviour was tollerated, if expected from the ruling gentry.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 4:55 PM

Did you mean this Janet & John Smile

Last Modified By whipspeed at 11 Oct 2012 - 4:56 PM

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: time please