Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photography Monthly Rudeness

answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2006 2:09AM
I buy Digital Camera every now and then if an article interests me, they had a good one on lighting recently but I wouldnt buy them regularly.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
12 9.2k 92
21 Mar 2006 2:32AM
So really it is K's fault, and others like her that fail to regularly buy magazines that force companies to make savings by moving to a single location and hence people like Dan lose their job Smile

Seriously though, it is a shame that Dan has decided not to move with the magazine, but did anyone really expect a ten page spread of his work in the final issue. I mean at least you found out, I bet many of my customers through my old job don't even know I no longer work for the company.

I have met and spoken to Will on a number of ocassions and for me it was his feedback that changed my work from being unlikely ever to be printed to so far a 100% success rate. Everytime I have sent something to a magazine at least one image has been printed. Now I also include Pete in this praise, because his feedback has also been invaluable and generally a picture he likes will also be liked by other editors.

Was Will's feedback to me particularly nice, no but it certainly made me think about what I was doing. Basically the gist of it was that my work was competent, but had no outstanding features that would get it published. I listened to what he said and I think anyone that knows my work from before a couple of years ago would agree that there has been a marked improvement. Sometimes you need harsh criticism to move on, it's how you react to it that counts.

Let's face it all magazines choose images that are easy to criticise for their improvement section, they don't have time to spend looking for every little fact about the image. They are usually chosen because they have common faults and so hopefully not only the original poster but lots of other people learn as well.

I do, however, wish for a few less landscape issues as both PM and PP seem obsessed at the moment. But then again that's down to the likes of us to send them something else that they want to use.

Cheryl

ps. Thanks for the thread it reminded me to send an email
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2006 2:40AM

Quote:I bet many of my customers through my old job don't even know I no longer work for the company.

or even care.
csurry
12 9.2k 92
21 Mar 2006 2:43AM
Maybe true Chris, maybe not. As some of them are being quoted long waiting times for consultancy they may care more than certain people like to admit.

My point being people move on and most times you never know why, when, etc.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2006 2:43AM
Hey? What you blaming me for? Wink I'd consider myself extra money they wouldnt have had if I hadn't got into photography, never bought any photography magazines, ever before. So there! Wink)
csurry
12 9.2k 92
21 Mar 2006 2:46AM
There's always eBay K if you want to get some of your money back Tongue
timiano 10 894 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2006 2:54AM
So anyone going to post what was actually printed?
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2006 2:54AM
sorry Cheryl - i was just taking part in the monthly rudeness that is at the top of the thread.

Will the photography monthly rudness be a regular thing like Fun friday?
conrad 10 10.9k 116
21 Mar 2006 2:59AM

Quote:I also include Pete ... because his feedback has also been invaluable

Pete gives feedback??? When? Where? Wink

Conrad
cathal 10 492 4 Ireland
21 Mar 2006 3:42AM
I've not yet got the latest edition of PM, so Dan's departure comes as a surprise. I did wonder if the arrival of Will is something Dan would have welcomed. Hopefully, he's moving on to better things and isn't a victim of some clash with Will Cheung.

I have to say I'm not impressed with the way PP went downhill in recent years, (though the last issue I read was worse) so much so that I haven't bought an issue now, for probably two years. I do get PM, so if Will Cheung is now at the helm, I'm not sure for how much longer!

The good guy / bad guy routine in reviewing pictures has now been taken up by Outdoor Photography, which isn't a good sign.

All, of course, in my opinion...
IanO 11 195 Scotland
21 Mar 2006 3:48AM
timiano - this is the quote in question

You probably expected to see Daniel Lazano's face beaming at you as usual this month - you certainly weren't expecting me! - but at PM Towers, there have been some changes. We have moved editorial offices, and as a consequence, Dan has decided to move on to pastures new. Since PM's launch in 2001, Dan has done a brilliant job and we wish him all the best."

That's it - all that was said.

Ian
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
21 Mar 2006 3:56AM
Seems alright to me.
ahollowa 10 1.1k England
21 Mar 2006 3:56AM

Quote:I have to say I'm not impressed with the way PP went downhill in recent years, (though the last issue I read was worse) so much so that I haven't bought an issue now, for probably two years. I do get PM, so if Will Cheung is now at the helm, I'm not sure for how much longer!

I think you will find that the two years that PP has gone downhill are the 2 since Will left. I used to get PP but found it went "low rent" when Will left. I swapped to PM after this as it's quality improved greatly after Will joined. Though I don't tend to get either now as I have subscriptions to OP and EOS mags which I find better for what I want.

cheers

Al.
BigCol e2
13 1.8k 1 Scotland
21 Mar 2006 3:59AM
And you expected more? The guy has left the publication because he wasn't happy to relocate, apparently, he hasn't died!
Magazines stand or fall on their readership numbers, or more correctly on the number of people who buy the magazine. We see a lot of landscapes because that's what the vast majority of the buying public take. If the pendulum were to swing in the other direction and portraiture were to become more popular we'd see an awful lot more of that, rather than the occasional feature issue.

In his time at the helm of PM Dan did a great job building up the reputation of the magazine and I'm sure that he's already got something lined up. Good luck to him.
jeanie e2
10 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2006 3:59AM

Quote:PM Towers
... (sorry I cant do quote from quote LOL)..

There is only one Towers and that is EPZ Towers - they nicked our name LOL!!!!!!!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.