Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photography Monthly Rudeness

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
paulbroad
paulbroad  781 forum posts United Kingdom850 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2007 - 5:16 PM

I've just read back further, and might start another arguement here. What does FRPS (ARPS, LRPS) actually mean?

It means - got there once and prepared to pay for it. It doesnt mean still can, or ever could in some subject areas. The photographer may not have exposed a frame on anything for years!

Remember, as in degrees, distinctions at the Royal are attained in certain subject areas. A person may have got his FRPS in dental photography! Not necessarily the best field to make him/her a general judge.

Always ask what field the distinction is in. Also remember that the panel judging process leaves open the cheating route. Who is to say the submitting photographer actually took some or all of the shots - only trust. My trust of people is not good!

For me, continued illustration of capability is the only route, not qualifications and certainley not those you pay for alone. (For the record, I have a good degree in Metallurgy, but havn't followed my profession since 1971, which puts me a little out of touch.)

Paul

Last Modified By paulbroad at 12 Aug 2007 - 5:17 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Aug 2007 - 5:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graysta
Graysta  91134 forum posts England
12 Aug 2007 - 7:34 PM

Possibly the Mags are being outdone.HERE.By having the best uptodate body of like minded people to comment /help/guide/critisize/and of course reward without having to wait a month to buy a mag that covers season by season year in year out.Besause its live & interactive.And L.R.P.S. is only qualified by the first letter.L= learner. told to me by an F.R.P.S. what does F stand for.

Graham

jaspernina
12 Aug 2007 - 7:42 PM

Haven't been in to Photography that long, only about 8 months. Bought loads of magazines at first. Now the only one i get is 'Outdoor Photography', which is really great for people of all skill levels, and for that area of photography obviouslySmile. But none seem anywhere near as informative or indeed, as addictive as this site.

Stephen

Last Modified By jaspernina at 12 Aug 2007 - 7:43 PM
miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2007 - 7:50 PM

Most of the mags are at an introductry level, and all say much the same thing e.g "6 tips to take better landscape photos", or "how to take better portraits". It describes subject areas like this quite a superficairy level. I am sure that many on this site are buying them or have bought them. The number of questions asked and answered by this site, and its collective knowldge, clearly shows that the magazines aren't quite getting it correct.

They, are of course, some useful and interesting articles, but they could do so much better. After about 1 years worth, it all starts repeating again, and doesn't really cover any new ground.

Mike

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Aug 2007 - 8:03 PM

There is a great deal to read in the photo mags. Just a shame that you would have to buy them all to make one interesting read these days.

They reach out to the lowest common denominator because that is their market.

Not intending to insult beginners. I have a collection of articles culled over the last couple of years.

I decided earlier this year to stop buying photomags altogether.

Kris_Dutson
12 Aug 2007 - 8:13 PM

Outdoor Photography's still worth a look.

Well, if you're into outdoorsy things it is. Smile

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Aug 2007 - 8:17 PM

Quote: Outdoor Photography's still worth a look

LOL.

Smile

jaspernina
12 Aug 2007 - 8:25 PM

You can always tell which are the naff photo mags, they are the one that end up in the dentist & doctor's surgeries waiting rooms! Wink

andytvcams
12 Aug 2007 - 8:41 PM

That would explain why Ive seen a fair few of Amateur photography magazines of late. Wink

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
12 Aug 2007 - 8:47 PM

Willie Chung came too a camera club of which I was a member some 7/8 years ago.
I found his comments on pix quite constructive, a bit strong possibly, but not particularly offensive.

Graywolf
Graywolf  7964 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Aug 2007 - 9:14 PM

Quote: Now the only one i get is 'Outdoor Photography'

I am a self confessed magazine addict, and since going digital I dread to think how much I have spent on photo magazines but I agree with Jaspernina as above.

Outdoor Photography is the one for me. Perhaps that's because I like taking photographs out of doors.

Any other mags I tend to buy for the reviews now.

Last Modified By Graywolf at 12 Aug 2007 - 9:16 PM
paulcr
paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2007 - 9:19 PM

DSLR, in my opinion is the best one out there at the moment. Varied articles, LOADS of excellent photographs, an excellent monthly competition format, minimal advertising (for now), which is why I moved from Digital Camera (half the mag is ads) and lots of recognisable EPZ'ers in DSLR.
(I'll expect the chq in the post then...Smile)
Paul

paulcr
paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2007 - 9:28 PM

edit: DSLR photography mag.

andytvcams
12 Aug 2007 - 10:01 PM

Quote: I'll expect the chq in the post then...

You may be waiting for some time then.

These magazines just love the i wont to be famous .

They only pay out to the known names not the wannabes.

Sorry but that is how it works.

And as long as you are happy to supply them they will be happy to fill their pages with your shots,
At no cost to themselves.

But at least you get your five minutes of fame Smile

Last Modified By andytvcams at 12 Aug 2007 - 10:03 PM
Maddie
Maddie  92714 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2007 - 9:53 AM

That is quite a statement Andy.....everyone starts somewhere, what is wrong with 5 mins of fame anyway......paid or unpaid....famous or infamous, everyone wants different things from their photography.

Last Modified By Maddie at 13 Aug 2007 - 9:55 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.