Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Photography pen pals

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : concerns regarding email etc

collywobles 10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 8:49AM

Quote: my advice I would give to anyone who posts personal email addresses on any site - its good practice not to do it anywhere.

Becca - You are either not reading the Forums or ignoring good advice....

DO NOT POST ANY PERSONAL DETAILS OR EMAIL ADDRESSES ON PUBLIC WEBSITES !

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 9:53AM
I'm not even sure why this thread hasn't been deleted.
AlexandraSD 3 435 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 1:26PM
Hi, im lexi, and i will be your fwend, just send me $500 through some bank you never heard of, its kosher i promise, mail me at scamartist@fleeceyou.big.time.con

Tongue
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
17 Jan 2013 4:49PM

Quote:I'm not even sure why this thread hasn't been deleted.

That would make sense.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
17 Jan 2013 6:39PM
I agree 100%. This is ridiculous!! All those emails there for the taking!!
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
17 Jan 2013 6:45PM
I have submitted a Report requesting it is removed - but I aint holding my breath.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2013 8:24AM
Someone is going to have to enlighten me as to what the big problem is. Most of the email address have been on this thread for up to 10 years! Easily time for a bot to pick them up.

So, someone has your email address? ...you get spammed..big deal.
My email has been on the web for 10-12 years now, doesn't seem to be a problem.

What am I missing?
LindaD3x 10 197 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2013 8:43AM
Surely if you want to put your email up here its up to you... you know the score.

Oh by the way my bank account number is....610987556 sort code 17-80-95

I'm sure someone said they would like to deposit a large cash sum prize at some point after I send them 10k to verify the account Smile
779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
18 Jan 2013 9:12AM

Quote:What am I missing?

It's got nothing to do with spam as far as I am concerned. You have a thread, all be it old, asking people to put up email addresses. Its called penpals - which could be seen as a term that attracts younger members. It's a classic grooming tactic. Ask for a penpal, get the email and move the conversation off the main public area of the site. The last person to post and email was a few days ago and was 15. Ok you have removed the email now but with a notification set the people on the thread would have been told of a new posting before you removed it.

It up to you.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2013 9:20AM

Quote: Its called penpals - which could be seen as a term that attracts younger members.

Do kids today still do pen pals ? Seems a bit old-hat to me.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
18 Jan 2013 9:33AM

Quote:Do kids today still do pen pals ?

No I doubt they do in the same format - facebook, tumblr etc is the modern way. This thread began in 2001 when there would certainly have still been letters written and emails sent. It gets picked up in searches. I guess we should lock it down as it is a vintage thread. Just highlights how our attitudes have changes over the years regards to email etc. No one battered an eyelid in those early days.