Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photography to aspire too

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72268 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2010 - 1:54 PM

Same here Michael - I've never really explored the great photographers of the past...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Nov 2010 - 1:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Drippingsoul13
20 Nov 2010 - 2:23 PM

I do not know of to many photographers however my music inspires me.

geoffash26
geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Nov 2010 - 3:28 PM

Juza some inspiring nature shots

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2010 - 3:41 PM

Please keep posting, the links are inspirational and educational for all of us. There are so many great photographers of past and present. I really wish I had a better idea of who they were/are, and the body of their work.

rogerbryan
rogerbryan e2 Member 10397 forum postsrogerbryan vcard United Kingdom
21 Nov 2010 - 12:12 AM

Great thread

Links to some stunning work.

roger

Picture_Newport

This ladies work is very nice.

Picture_Newport

Bump...

Came across this gentlemans portfolio just this morning, very interesting, great photographic timing and nice short write ups.

lillypix
lillypix  460 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2010 - 6:28 PM

This man is an all time great and very well known for it already!

And this guy's work always brings a smile to my face, especially this story.

I'll have to go looking for someone a little less famous now...

Lianna.

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2010 - 6:48 PM

Saw Steve McCurry's (this man in above post) work at the Magnum touring exhibition in Birmingham. Simply inspirational for any portrait photograoher.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2010 - 6:50 PM

Just looked up what "inspire" really means

[quote]inĚspire (n-spr)
v. inĚspired, inĚspirĚing, inĚspires
v.tr.
1. To affect, guide, or arouse by divine influence.
2. To fill with enlivening or exalting emotion: hymns that inspire the congregation; an artist who was inspired by Impressionism.
a. To stimulate to action; motivate: a sales force that was inspired by the prospect of a bonus.
b. To affect or touch: The falling leaves inspired her with sadness.
4. To draw forth; elicit or arouse: a teacher who inspired admiration and respect.
5. To be the cause or source of; bring about: an invention that inspired many imitations.

To be honest, no one really "inspires" me in any of those ways

I "admire" lots of people's work though

But I can't really say that I look at anyone's work and feel energised to go out and shoot

lillypix
lillypix  460 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2010 - 8:19 PM

@ miptog - I'm very envious. When I was a kid I used to just try and take photos of nice landscapes and birds and trees etc. and then one day I saw a Steve McCurry portfolio in some magazine and my outlook changed completely. Inspirational and aspirational...

Sezz
Sezz  9617 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2010 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for bringing to my attention, have just checked out his website - awesome work, Steve McCurry!

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73868 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2010 - 11:11 PM

Quote: I "admire" lots of people's work though But I can't really say that I look at anyone's work and feel energised to go out and shoot

... I think we all have people who inspire us weather we realise it or not (or care to admit it in public Wink ), there is very little that is completely unique. For you Ade I would hasten a guess at Helmut Newton & Bill Brandt. High contrast monos with a touch of quirkiness & in the case of Bill Brandt he did some stunning mono of the back streets of Northern towns - notably 'alifax.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2010 - 5:09 PM

I've never heard of Helmut Newton & Bill Brandt, Nick - I'll take a look though. I worked in Halifax for long enough, so there's probably a fair chance I saw his stuff around the place.

When Dave and I started with the strobist stuff, he'd come along packed with ideas from watching strobist stuff - so there's definitely influence there. Also with the light painting we did, that was something dave had seen online and wanted to do - the very first time I did it was at the satellite dish thing on the moors near Hebden Bridge.

A good example is that I really like DaveU's HDR's - think they are fantastic and disctinctive - but it's never "inspired" me to try what he does, I "admire" it, but I don't see it and think "I'll go out and try to do that now".

Inspiration's a different beast to appreciation.

I think Keef's stuff back in the early days did inspire me to go to the yorkshire coast for the first time (as he did with just about every landscaper on the site), so I'm not saying it's never happened. Just doesn't really happen any more. I'm far happier taking shots, editing them and winding people up on the forums that looking at what others are up to Wink

People mention long lists of photographers on the forums, I probably know "Bresson", Adams, Litchfield, Rankin... err... Bailey, ummmm... then I run out of names. That bloke who does monos of elephants... err... that bloke who did that shot of someone falling over in Vietnam.... err.... I should really put more effort in, but then again, if I'm enjoying my own photography at the moment (and I am) I'd rather keep doing it whilst the buzz lasts Wink

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72268 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2010 - 5:38 PM

I can relate to what Ade is saying, as I spend very little time - if any, looking at photographers from the past, who have been influential.
That is not to say that I haven't affected on a subliminal level, and I believe that this is where and how inspiration can occur.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.