Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photography vs PhotoEditing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
8 Sep 2012 - 4:30 PM

Quote:
My main "lament" would be that, based on observation, the community online tends towards the more "processed" end of the spectrum at the expense of the more "pure" - substitute with more appropriate word if you know one... .

I think that is kind of inevitable, Ade.

Almost by definition, the folk you find on here will be those that are happy spending at least part of their lives fiddling about with computers.

Those who only have a computer for basic processing of their photographs are likely to restrict their other "online" activities to essential e-mails and perhaps a bit of banking, booking holidays, and maybe buying a book on Amazon.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Sep 2012 - 4:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2012 - 5:02 PM

Maybe I'll rephrase that... I can see it reads differently to what I intended Smile

Pictures which "do well" tend to be "processed" heavily

It because of image fatigue - spend too long looking at the same style of photograph they all become much of a muchness, till you see something "different" - usually via processing. These get the votes because they are "different" to the usual style....

Go take a look at the leader boards on Pixoto or the Editors Choices on 500px.... get your shades ready Wink

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2012 - 2:41 AM

Quote: Do whatever turns you on with your photography.... some get off on kit, some get off on the social side of group meets, some love perving over lovely young models, some love the solitude of sitting watching sunrises, some love the techy side of processing, some like arguing the toss and winning pointless debates, some just like taking photos....Do whatever turns you on with your photography.... some get off on kit, some get off on the social side of group meets, some love perving over lovely young models, some love the solitude of sitting watching sunrises, some love the techy side of processing, some like arguing the toss and winning pointless debates, some just like taking photos....

Well Ade, prolific forum contributor as you are, I think you've just posted the post of the century Wink...should be on EPZ's welcome homepage at least..

Stephen

llareggub
llareggub  3664 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Sep 2012 - 1:35 PM

The thing to bare in mind is that nobody "owns" the fundamental premise that is photography, it's definition is not and never will be fixed it is a process that results in a final image as simple as that. Sure as time passes styles, processes and tastes change and lets face it we can't all like the same sh1t, can you imagine how long the queue would be?

For all that talk of incredibly bright and colourful images enhanced by photoshop and post nuclear explosions I have not really noted the death of high contrast black and white images...

You cold spend you whole life trying to find and answer when in reality there is not even a question there, do what you do with your pictures, let other folk decide whether they like them!

ade_mcfade
9 Sep 2012 - 2:39 PM

Quote: Well Ade, prolific forum contributor as you are, I think you've just posted the post of the century ...should be on EPZ's welcome homepage at least..

so good you copied it twice Wink

lol

not sure what the intention of these words was though.... "prolific forum contributor as you are"???

Does it mean that were I not a prolific forum contributor, it'd have different meaning?

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2012 - 7:39 PM

No Ade, it was 2.41 AM on a Sat. night (hence the double vision Wink and there was no intention other than, of all the many many things you've posted, this is one of the very best..

on hindsight, I suppose the prolificness of your contributions is irrelevant to the quality of this one Smile

ade_mcfade
9 Sep 2012 - 10:59 PM

Lol. Gotcha Wink

ratedkg
ratedkg  1 United States
29 Sep 2012 - 5:35 AM

Quote: I am not sure why every time I see someone complaining about the use of photoshop /postprocessing /manipulating /photoediting, they are normally those who can't really do it themselves....Wink

That's indeed a big possibility. Grin

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
29 Sep 2012 - 7:57 PM

Quote:
Quote: I am not sure why every time I see someone complaining about the use of photoshop /postprocessing /manipulating /photoediting, they are normally those who can't really do it themselves....Wink

That's indeed a big possibility. Grin

They might also complain because the photoshopping/editing has not been successful and the result is an over saturated/overprocessed image with unreal colours....etc...

Applied properly, the manipulation enhances the photo rather than being detrimental as it's not noticeable.

Last Modified By JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY at 29 Sep 2012 - 8:06 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.