Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photokina So Far...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3596 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
18 Sep 2012 - 7:29 AM

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ephotozine-at-photokina-world-of-imaging-2012-...

ePHOTOzine is at Photokina, and yesterday was one of the biggest days for announcements, as the official press day. Today it opens to the public so everyone can get first hand experience with the new products.

What do you think so far? Any surprises? Any products you're particularly interested in?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Sep 2012 - 7:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96225 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 8:09 AM

Does Photokina include software as I have just spotted elsewhere that Google have bought Nik Software and wondered if there are any reactions / thoughts on the acquisition ?

Last Modified By JJGEE at 18 Sep 2012 - 8:11 AM
ChrisV
ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 12:12 PM

The announcements of the D600 and then 6D seem to have overshadowed everything else - at least in terms of discussion on these boards.

I'm intrigued by the Panasonic GH3 - I wonder if it will give the Olympus OM-D a run for its money in the IQ/features stakes? It's perhaps a shame it's so bulky, but perhaps that doesn't matter so much as these aren't pocketable cameras in any case?

Once they're teamed with the pro-spec lenses [at least the zooms], they do become a bit of a chunk in any case - albeit much lighter than equivalent 35mm sensor kit.

Which brings us onto the lenses. Still can't find a suggested price for the 35-100 f2.8. But that, together with the 12-35 f2.8 [is that "reassuringly" expensive?] it does send a real signal that m4/3 is taking a punt at the pro/serious enthusiast end of the market. If it can compete optically with the likes of Canon's superlative equivalent it will start to make a compelling case with the heft-conscious who would like to retain exacting standards. Then there's the announcement of all those future primes from Oly/Panny. Interesting times.

Was expecting/hoping for something for the format from Sigma/Tamron though.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 18 Sep 2012 - 12:14 PM
Steppenwolf
18 Sep 2012 - 1:21 PM

Quote: The announcements of the D600 and then 6D seem to have overshadowed everything else - at least in terms of discussion on these boards.

That just reflects that most of the people on this forum are Canikon owners. The real technical innovation is on the Sony A99. That's going to be the most interesting review to read - when DPR or AP get round to testing it, probably long after the D600 and 6D have been reviewed. As DPR said, it's a "technological tour de force".

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62435 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
18 Sep 2012 - 2:57 PM

No new DSLR lenses from Nikon or Canon Sad
I am particularly interested in Nikon's P7700 - as a possible compact lightweight alternative to a DX body and 18-200.
Does the P7700 have a front filter thread - for a pol?
I am not saying it can equal a D300 - but it should be closer the the P7100.
As a pedal cyclist getting on in years I am getting to an age where every little aid can help.

ChrisV
18 Sep 2012 - 3:50 PM

What I don't get is, if Sony are supplying the sensors to Nikon/Pentax and so on, how come their noise control lags behind those manufacturers? It isn't as if it's just the SLTs, either.

I don't think that it is just conservatism that's keeping the CaNikon duopoly at the top - at the moment their systems, ergonomics and ultimate IQ are still unrivalled at the high end of the market.

Even with the considerable disadvantage of much smaller sensors, Olympus and to a lesser degree Panasonic [and we'll see how well the GH3 performs] are starting to make serious inroads. Of course part of that is the advantage of size/weight. Perhaps the most interesting of all the recent Sony releases for just the same reason is the 6N - particularly with the collapsible lens. I'd agree they are doing some interesting things at the moment and somewhere down the line they may bear fruit. It seems most of the market doesn't feel they're quite there yet.

Time may change that, but for the moment it's a minority opinion.

Steppenwolf
18 Sep 2012 - 4:27 PM

Quote: What I don't get is, if Sony are supplying the sensors to Nikon/Pentax and so on, how come their noise control lags behind those manufacturers? It isn't as if it's just the SLTs, either.

It doesn't.

joshwa
18 Sep 2012 - 4:49 PM

Panasonic Lumix 35-100mm expected to be 1000-1100
I've put all the pricing information for the GH3 and others here:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-gh3-hands-on-preview-20183

joshwa
18 Sep 2012 - 5:01 PM

Quote: Does Photokina include software as I have just spotted elsewhere that Google have bought Nik Software and wondered if there are any reactions / thoughts on the acquisition ?

Hi, yes it does include software, I haven't made it to these bits yet. But will see what I can find out.

ChrisV
18 Sep 2012 - 7:17 PM

Quote: Panasonic Lumix 35-100mm expected to be 1000-1100
I've put all the pricing information for the GH3 and others here:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-gh3-hands-on-preview-20183

Cheers, Josh. Interesting read - do you know what the shooting capacity is with the standard battery? Could be one reason for the larger size to accommodate something that will keep you going on a heavy day's shooting. Price doesn't sound too bad on the 35-100 either - given what the 12-35 might lead you to expect. I thought that was quite pricey at 799, but GH3 @ 995+12-35= 2,000! Bonkers, surely? We'll see what the street prices are.

I'm straddling Canon/Panasonic at present - this is starting to look a bit more serious than cheap/portable back-up...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314961 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 7:28 PM

Quote: do you know what the shooting capacity is with the standard battery? Could be one reason for the larger size to accommodate something that will keep you going on a heavy day's shooting

This is geared up even more for video work, that grip will please plenty Smile

joshwa
19 Sep 2012 - 12:26 AM

Quote: do you know what the shooting capacity is with the standard battery?

540 shots with the standard
Using the battery grip as well 1100
(Your mileage may vary... depending on shooting conditions, use of flash, type of lens used, shooting mode etc)

Scottelly
Scottelly  135 forum posts United States
19 Sep 2012 - 6:44 AM

"As DPR said, it's a 'technological tour de force'." Huh? How does the A99 fit this description? Basically ALL the technology in it has been available in the A77 for a year now. They are charging twice as much as the A77, but the camera has the exact same resolution, pretty much the same features, and it is actually SLOWER. How does this make it a "technological tour de force" in any way? Because it is a little larger and has a full-frame sensor? I don't agree. It should have been out long ago, and Sony should have made it just as fast or faster than the A77 . . . no slower than the A77. I find it sad that Sony has made people wait for what is basically an inferior camera in many ways. It shoots slower, it is heavier, and it costs much more. Those things make it inferior. It is superior too, in that it produces less noise, maybe slightly sharper images with the same lenses, and possibly it has one or two advantages over the A77 that I have not thought about, but I am quite disappointed. I was expecting more and hoping for even more than I was expecting. My hopes have been dashed.

This is what I wanted:

1. Higher resolution.

2. A larger review screen (like 3.5" with the same resolution). This could have been done, because this camera is significantly bigger than the A77.

3. More speed, not less. This is something that should have been possible too, considering the fact that Sony has had an extra year to improve the A77 electronics, which could have been used in this camera.

4. 2 CF card slots. The Canon 1Dx has two CF card slots. So does the Nikon D3, D3s, D3x, and D300s. I think this should be the standard for modern, professional level cameras. It is what professionals want. Frankly, I don't understand why Nikon would only put one CF card slot in the D800. Maybe they are trying to differentiate it fro the D3s, D3x, and D4.

5. An even better viewfinder than the A77. This would have been cool, though is was not really a necessity, since the viewfinder of the A77 is so good.

Still, I do understand that Sony does not want to crush Nikon and Canon, because those two companies are indeed very big clients (and enemies), and you need to keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I also realize that the Sony A99 shoots faster than any other full-frame camera that is capable of such high resolution. There certainly is something to be said about that. I also realize that the A99 is the first full-frame camera to have a fold-out preview screen. Yes, it is much cheaper than the Nikon D3x, and it is even cheaper than the slower Nikon D800 and Canon 5 D Mk III. Yes, it shoots faster than both of those (when considering full-resolution shooting). Yes, it is capable of holding two memory card slots (but so is the cheaper Nikon D300s and my 5 year old Sony R1).

JJGEE
JJGEE  96225 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 8:28 AM

Apparently the Leica reception / party was very good.... were you there Josh Wink

Last Modified By JJGEE at 19 Sep 2012 - 8:30 AM
Steppenwolf
19 Sep 2012 - 8:37 AM

Quote: "As DPR said, it's a 'technological tour de force'." Huh? How does the A99 fit this description? Basically ALL the technology in it has been available in the A77 for a year now.

Not quite. The new focusing system using phase detection AF in both the AF sensor and the image sensor is really interesting. Sony say it makes focus faster and more accurate which is a big claim as the A77 is already very fast and accurate. The sensor is also claimed to collect more light which always helps. I don't really agree about the review screen because I don't often use it any more to check photos - I use the EVF which is higher resolution and easier to see in most lighting conditions.

There will be another FF out early next year with 36Mp but Sony have come to the conclusion that most people don't want more than 24Mp, because they think it spoils the high ISO performance.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.