Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photokina So Far...

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 9:01AM

Quote:but Sony have come to the conclusion that most people don't want more than 24Mp, because they think it spoils the high ISO performance

They are even borrowing Nikon's old philosophy now shown to be rubbish Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 11:30AM

Quote:Apparently the Leica reception / party was very good.... were you there Josh Wink

Hi, yes I was, but I somehow completely managed to miss Seal!!
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
19 Sep 2012 11:34AM

Quote:Sony have come to the conclusion that most people don't want more than 24Mp

That used to be said about 6Mp DSLRs........... even by some EPZers, a few years back! Wink
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
19 Sep 2012 12:16PM

Quote:Sony have come to the conclusion that most people don't want more than 24Mp

Quote:That used to be said about 6Mp DSLRs........... even by some EPZers, a few years back!

When digital first appeared there was a formula that suggested 14mp was the equivalent of the very best resolution film.
Most people don't want / need more than 12mp.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
19 Sep 2012 12:25PM

Quote:When digital first appeared there was a formula that suggested 14mp was the equivalent of the very best resolution film.

But there was other research showing film was about 7Mp or 11Mp.............. I don't think it was ever resolved. Wink

Quote:Most people don't want / need more than 12mp.

That seems to be regarded as a minimum these days. Punters buy megapixels: it's the only thing they know (or think they know) about digital cameras.
19 Sep 2012 1:57PM

Quote:but Sony have come to the conclusion that most people don't want more than 24Mp, because they think it spoils the high ISO performance

They are even borrowing Nikon's old philosophy now shown to be rubbish Wink

LOL. Most of you guys were saying that the Megapixel race was for dummies up until fairly recently - and some of you still are. Even gurus like Canon's Chuck Westwood still think that more than 20Mp is a no-no even for FF.

The other reason that they didn't go for 36Mp was because they couldn't do full HD 1920X1080 video at 60fps with 36Mp - not yet anyway. Most of the opposition (i.e. D800 5DIII) tops out at 30fps in this mode. The A99 does 60fps - no compromises.
ChrisV e2
8 889 26 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2012 2:56PM
I've just seen the price of the GH3 at WEX. It looks like a good camera, but Jesus in a baby bath, are the guys at Panasonic on crack? I can't believe they're asking over 1500, body only.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
22 Sep 2012 3:27PM
Makes the Nex 7 and OM-D look cheap Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.