Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photokina So Far...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 9:01 AM

Quote: but Sony have come to the conclusion that most people don't want more than 24Mp, because they think it spoils the high ISO performance

They are even borrowing Nikon's old philosophy now shown to be rubbish Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Sep 2012 - 9:01 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 - 11:30 AM

Quote: Apparently the Leica reception / party was very good.... were you there Josh Wink

Hi, yes I was, but I somehow completely managed to miss Seal!!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139452 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 11:34 AM

Quote: Sony have come to the conclusion that most people don't want more than 24Mp

That used to be said about 6Mp DSLRs........... even by some EPZers, a few years back! Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 12:16 PM

Quote: Sony have come to the conclusion that most people don't want more than 24Mp

Quote: That used to be said about 6Mp DSLRs........... even by some EPZers, a few years back!

When digital first appeared there was a formula that suggested 14mp was the equivalent of the very best resolution film.
Most people don't want / need more than 12mp.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139452 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 12:25 PM

Quote: When digital first appeared there was a formula that suggested 14mp was the equivalent of the very best resolution film.

But there was other research showing film was about 7Mp or 11Mp.............. I don't think it was ever resolved. Wink

Quote: Most people don't want / need more than 12mp.

That seems to be regarded as a minimum these days. Punters buy megapixels: it's the only thing they know (or think they know) about digital cameras.

Steppenwolf
19 Sep 2012 - 1:57 PM

Quote: but Sony have come to the conclusion that most people don't want more than 24Mp, because they think it spoils the high ISO performance

They are even borrowing Nikon's old philosophy now shown to be rubbish Wink

LOL. Most of you guys were saying that the Megapixel race was for dummies up until fairly recently - and some of you still are. Even gurus like Canon's Chuck Westwood still think that more than 20Mp is a no-no even for FF.

The other reason that they didn't go for 36Mp was because they couldn't do full HD 1920X1080 video at 60fps with 36Mp - not yet anyway. Most of the opposition (i.e. D800 5DIII) tops out at 30fps in this mode. The A99 does 60fps - no compromises.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7786 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2012 - 2:56 PM

I've just seen the price of the GH3 at WEX. It looks like a good camera, but Jesus in a baby bath, are the guys at Panasonic on crack? I can't believe they're asking over 1500, body only.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315384 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2012 - 3:27 PM

Makes the Nex 7 and OM-D look cheap Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.