Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photomatix hdr - removing flare

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kit-monster
    kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2008 - 2:11 PM

I'm cataloguing objects for a church including windows. I've been bracketing and blending multiple shots using Photomatix. The resulting hdr images when tone mapped have come out very well. It's important that I capture as much detail as possible. I wanted to get images of the windows including the stone work, so I took a broad range of shots coving about 10 ev / stops. Unfortunately the long exposure shots show nice shadow detail but the flare from the windows is obscuring the stone work / appearing on the final image. Does anyone know how I can stop this from happening? Is there alternative hdr software that stops this from happening? I imagine it's quite common where there's very high contrast.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Apr 2008 - 2:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022924 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2008 - 2:16 PM

The only way, really, is to eliminate the aperture shots that induce the flare as the software will treat it as part of the image and not as something to disregard in the final image.

culturedcanvas
    22 Apr 2008 - 2:39 PM

You could also try using a straight shot (without flare) as a layer over the top of the tone mapped image. The reduce or increase the opcaity of this layer to suit .. obviously sections of this layer can be erased away too if required.

As Keith says removing those shots with flare present is the only real way to avoid any piece of software counting it as part of the image.

Another method may be to perform two seperate tone mapping processes using different exposures with the shots tone mapped for individual parts of the image. Then using the luminosity controls and setting the correct white and black points you may be able to reduce the impact of the flare.

Dan

Last Modified By culturedcanvas at 22 Apr 2008 - 2:40 PM
    kit-monster
    kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2008 - 3:15 PM

Cheers - I've not included it and used luminosity.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.