Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photos sticking to glass

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    PaulSR
    PaulSR  8511 forum posts England
    13 Jul 2007 - 8:25 PM

Does anybody know how to stop photos sticking to the glass when mounting them in a frame. Several photos i have are showing ugly marks on them where the inkside of the photo is sticking.
    i have removed them but the problem returns when i replace them.
    Paul

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Jul 2007 - 8:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mrcal
    mrcal  101032 forum posts
    13 Jul 2007 - 8:26 PM

Are you using a mount card to separate the print from the glass?

chrisfroud
    13 Jul 2007 - 8:28 PM

You could use a cardboard mount to separate the print from the frame.

Chris

PaulSR
    13 Jul 2007 - 8:31 PM

There are mounts on some, but the photo still touches the glass in parts. Is it normal for the photo surfaces to be so tacky. As soon as they touch the glass they stick to it

Adrian_Reynolds
    13 Jul 2007 - 8:37 PM

Hi Paul, I had this problem too, I found that the type of photo paper and the way you stick them to the mount can cause this, the cheaper thinner gsm paper expands and if you have stuck it all the way around the card mount it can buble and touch the glass, try to only use tape on the top of the photo to hold it. I also found that when I used the best epson paper it didn't stretch.
    another option is to stick the photo to a piece of card by coating the whole of the back, this is how my local framer did it for me but would need more care,
    Adrian
    Adrian

Last Modified By Adrian_Reynolds at 13 Jul 2007 - 8:39 PM
    mrcal
    mrcal  101032 forum posts
    13 Jul 2007 - 8:38 PM

Quote: Is it normal for the photo surfaces to be so tacky.

None of the printers I have used in the last few years have given tacky prints (which is more than I can say for the subjects of some of my prints) and all have mounted well in frames.

Have you tried diffferent paper stocks? Different inks?

PaulSR
    13 Jul 2007 - 8:46 PM

I have recently used genuine canon inks and in the past have had them printed professionally by photobox. it doesn't seem to make much difference, them problem still arises on some of the photos

justin c
    justin c  104518 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2007 - 8:51 PM

Always use a good quality 4 ply mount or if you wish to put more distance between the print and the glass you could always use an 8 ply mount or another option would be a double 4 ply one.

Always allow prints to completely dry before mounting,they may seem dry to the touch but the complete drying process can take a while depending on paper type.

I prefer to give inkjets a good week or so to minimize any out-gassing problems.

I've used the hinge mounting method (my prefered choice) mentioned above and also self-adhesive mountboard on another occasion for A3+ prints,both methods worked well and havn't caused any issues with print buckling.

Justin.

Last Modified By justin c at 13 Jul 2007 - 8:52 PM
    KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92978 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2007 - 8:53 PM

You could no worse than having a read of this.
    Ken

matt5791
    matt5791  10747 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jul 2007 - 9:29 PM

Never, ever, should any photo, of any type, be allowed to remain in contact with the glass - it will destroy it, quite quickly sometimes, depending on the atmosphperic conditions.

Easy to avoid - use a frame with an overmount.

Matt

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jul 2007 - 1:31 AM

Or just dry mount without glass. All my framed photos have been mounted like that... I like to see the picture rather than peer through reflections! Wink

witheye
    witheye  8190 forum posts
    18 Jul 2007 - 7:57 AM

you could laminate your photos
    before placing them in glass
    frames.
    the laminate would preserve the inks
    in the photograph.
    almost forever.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.