Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photos sticking to glass

PaulSR e2
9 511 England
13 Jul 2007 8:25PM
Does anybody know how to stop photos sticking to the glass when mounting them in a frame. Several photos i have are showing ugly marks on them where the inkside of the photo is sticking.
i have removed them but the problem returns when i replace them.
Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mrcal e2
10 1.0k
13 Jul 2007 8:26PM
Are you using a mount card to separate the print from the glass?
13 Jul 2007 8:28PM
You could use a cardboard mount to separate the print from the frame.

Chris
PaulSR e2
9 511 England
13 Jul 2007 8:31PM
There are mounts on some, but the photo still touches the glass in parts. Is it normal for the photo surfaces to be so tacky. As soon as they touch the glass they stick to it
13 Jul 2007 8:37PM
Hi Paul, I had this problem too, I found that the type of photo paper and the way you stick them to the mount can cause this, the cheaper thinner gsm paper expands and if you have stuck it all the way around the card mount it can buble and touch the glass, try to only use tape on the top of the photo to hold it. I also found that when I used the best epson paper it didn't stretch.
another option is to stick the photo to a piece of card by coating the whole of the back, this is how my local framer did it for me but would need more care,
Adrian
Adrian
mrcal e2
10 1.0k
13 Jul 2007 8:38PM

Quote:Is it normal for the photo surfaces to be so tacky.

None of the printers I have used in the last few years have given tacky prints (which is more than I can say for the subjects of some of my prints) and all have mounted well in frames.

Have you tried diffferent paper stocks? Different inks?
PaulSR e2
9 511 England
13 Jul 2007 8:46PM
I have recently used genuine canon inks and in the past have had them printed professionally by photobox. it doesn't seem to make much difference, them problem still arises on some of the photos
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
13 Jul 2007 8:51PM
Always use a good quality 4 ply mount or if you wish to put more distance between the print and the glass you could always use an 8 ply mount or another option would be a double 4 ply one.

Always allow prints to completely dry before mounting,they may seem dry to the touch but the complete drying process can take a while depending on paper type.

I prefer to give inkjets a good week or so to minimize any out-gassing problems.

I've used the hinge mounting method (my prefered choice) mentioned above and also self-adhesive mountboard on another occasion for A3+ prints,both methods worked well and havn't caused any issues with print buckling.

Justin.
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2007 8:53PM
You could no worse than having a read of this .
Ken
matt5791 e2
10 747 1 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2007 9:29PM
Never, ever, should any photo, of any type, be allowed to remain in contact with the glass - it will destroy it, quite quickly sometimes, depending on the atmosphperic conditions.

Easy to avoid - use a frame with an overmount.

Matt
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
18 Jul 2007 1:31AM
Or just dry mount without glass. All my framed photos have been mounted like that... I like to see the picture rather than peer through reflections! Wink
witheye e2
8 190
18 Jul 2007 7:57AM
you could laminate your photos
before placing them in glass
frames.
the laminate would preserve the inks
in the photograph.
almost forever.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.