Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photos that provoke discussion - can you point me in the right direction?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    janehewitt
    janehewitt  11215 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Apr 2006 - 12:36 AM

Hi, those of you who 'know' me know that I'm a secondary school teacher. We are working on courses called P4C - Philosophy for children and often use photographs as stimulus materials for discussion. I used the one that was discussed in the forum a while ago of the child and the vulture which provoked very mature discussion. Does anyone know of any other thought provoking photos.. I would be most grateful for your help thanks Jane PS the pupils are 11 - 16 so nothing too thought provoking ( if you know what I mean Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Apr 2006 - 12:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

u08mcb
    u08mcb  105817 forum posts
    10 Apr 2006 - 3:23 AM

Just because I was watching it on TV, the falling man from 9/11? Ok maybe thats a bit strong for 11 year olds but the older kids might want to talk about it more.

abel
    abel  10518 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Apr 2006 - 3:39 AM

how about -

- the shell-shocked marine (by don mccullin?)
    - the lennon/yoko ono portrait by annie leibowitz (I think)

two very different images.

There is also a really moving Tom Stoddart b/w image of a confused young boy being lifted onto a bus leaving sarajevo by his tearful mother - I've always loved that image. He also shot the image of the boy in africa on all fours watching pitifully as a man walks away with the food meant for him (the boy) - very powerful, and I think, full of hidden meaning.

HTH

Abel

UserRemoved
    10 Apr 2006 - 3:48 AM

Jane,
    Have a look at the Rocky Mountain News photo of the flag draped US coffin being loaded onto a plane - should be ok for kids that age to talk about. I remember being very politicised at that age but that might have to do with the area I grew up.
    The shot of the little Afgan girl is pretty iconic.
    The Vietnamese one of the girl with the burns etc etc.

For current stuff have a look through the World Press Awards photos (web search should throw them up)
    Some of the Magnum photo essays (again web search should do it) have some good compelling stuff but some a bit graphic.

Not all thought provoking images are war and conflict ones, there were some good ones from the special olympics that really touched.

Also dont forget to look closer to home, have a look at local press photos to see if there are any there on contentious local issues or indeed if the photos provoke any further thought and if not why not?

spaceman
    spaceman  105167 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Apr 2006 - 4:08 AM

Some of these perhaps. Put the arrow on each photograph for a description.

u08mcb
    u08mcb  105817 forum posts
    10 Apr 2006 - 4:10 AM

Tom Stoddart has taken some pretty thought provoking shots. His Polio boy as mentioned above is powerful, as are his photos of aids infected people in the 3rd world.

paulcr
    paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Apr 2006 - 6:31 AM

This provoked more discussion that I thoughti it would. May not be what your looking for but it might spark a subject. PAul

janehewitt
    10 Apr 2006 - 7:09 AM

I really appreciate your time everyone, will follow the links provided and let you know how I get on back at school! Paul, could I have permission to use your photo in school, it would be on an Interactive whiteboard? Thanks Michael that's a great site, I have used one or two of these photos but it's great to have them all in one place. Joe I've looked for World Press awards and at the end of the 2004 awards is the most amazing photo ever! I've seen it before in a magazine but have just downloaded it, its a disabled swimmer just diving into the water with his legs on the side, amazing, thanks again everyone now I know where to come for lesson plans.Jane

deviant
    deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Apr 2006 - 7:18 AM

Pep Bonet photographing children affected by HIV aids in an orphanage in South Africa.

janehewitt
    10 Apr 2006 - 7:23 AM

Thanks David, just had a look amazing story, isn't photography a powerful tool? Jane

Tacobumpy
    Tacobumpy  1258 forum posts
    10 Apr 2006 - 8:50 AM

http://press.benettongroup.com/ben_en/image_gallery/campaigns/?branch_id=1109

How about any of the images here? Some taken by one of my favourite photographers. All of these caused some controversy in their time. Blimey, was Toscani's reign at Benetton really that long ago!

janehewitt
    10 Apr 2006 - 10:19 AM

Thanks again everyone for helping out on this I've followed all of the links and some of the shots are stunning. jane

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.