Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photos with Zoom and Sharp Focus

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Calm_Greg
    Calm_Greg  1 Australia
    2 Feb 2013 - 4:58 AM

Hi guys. I'm using a Nikon D5100 with 70-300mm manual zoom wanting to photograph model planes which are a moving target. The subject can be approx 100 metres away
    The problem I'm having using a monopod or a braced personal stance, I am unable to get sharp focus when using Nikon Sport setup / multiple shots per second. Very frustrated. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions please?
    Typical photo as attached:1-27-.jpg

Last Modified By Calm_Greg at 2 Feb 2013 - 5:05 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Feb 2013 - 4:58 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson

Forget the monopod, shoot manual mode, shutter speed around 1/500th, raise iso as needed. Try af rather than manual focusing.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 2 Feb 2013 - 9:13 AM
    thewilliam
    2 Feb 2013 - 11:13 AM

With many lenses, you could just set the lens to infinity or hyperfocal distance and not bother with focussing. The modest aperture of your zoom lens should give enough depth of field for acceptable pictures so the lack of sharpness might not be a focus issue.

The landing-gear spar looks sharp in your example pic.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62426 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    3 Feb 2013 - 12:31 PM

The rear of the model plane is a little sharper than the front.
    If you used manual focus you missed accurate focus little bit.
    If you use autofocus it is probable the autofocus could not detect the dark low contrast detail at the front of the plane and focused on the much better autofocus target at the rear of the plane.
    Model planes at 100 yards fly extremely fast relative to image magnification. Ideally you need a high shutter speed of 1/1000 or faster.

oldblokeh
    oldblokeh  3762 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Feb 2013 - 12:49 PM

This is probably obvious, but something that will help is to shoot on the upwind leg when there's a reasonable wind. You don't then need to worry quite so much about accuracy of panning and you have a little more time to get it right. Some of my best model shots have been with the model on finals or doing a touch and go.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2013 - 1:13 PM

Another thing to consider is that when shooting a darkish object against a brighter sky you may need at add a bit of positive exposure compensation to get the best detail out of the aircraft, I would have tried +1 in this case I think (unless you already had, in which case I would up it further)

User_Removed
    3 Feb 2013 - 4:14 PM

Quote: Another thing to consider is that when shooting a darkish object against a brighter sky you may need at add a bit of positive exposure compensation to get the best detail out of the aircraft, I would have tried +1 in this case I think (unless you already had, in which case I would up it further)

Good advice, as is Oldbokeh's. Len's AF comment also very valid.

User_Removed
    5 Feb 2013 - 10:15 PM

Quote: using a monopod or a braced personal stance, I am unable to get sharp focus when using Nikon Sport setup / multiple shots per second

Agree with advice above. I do wonder if a better technique would be to pan with the plane and rather than machine gun shooting shoot less shots in single shot drive mode but get sharper shots?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.