Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photos you enjoy looking at

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014814 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2012 - 1:08 PM

I've just been reading a blog about subjects/styles/aspects of photograph etc you like looking at, quite interesting.

SO when looking through photo sites or galleries, what captures your attention - which photos do you dwell upon longer than most? What topics, what skills, what processing, what "stories", what subjects turn you on?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jan 2012 - 1:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014814 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2012 - 1:26 PM

Well balanced shots...

can work for any subject, but you see those shots where everything is in its right place and just seems to fit. Things like spiral stair cases can have a beautiful balance if photographed correctly.

things I've not seen before/rarely seen

the "new" is a wonderful thing for me - very hard to do of course, and that's why I like it Smile I did a search of mountains in south america and found photos of the lump of rock Angel Falls plumetts off - seen the falls 1000's of times, but not the whole lump... was entranced.

New buildings well photographed are a fave of mine

Creatively taken photos

i.e. shots where the magic has been done with a camera, lighting and knowledge inspire me massively compared to shots where clever processing has added the magic.

It's because I like to try to work out how they lit/created the shot - then maybe give it a go when I'm out shooting.

I'm trying to reduce the processing involved, not increase it Smile

Real portraits

Hard to define, but really striking photos of real people, rather than models posing for fashion etc. Models are great, fashion's great, but get the right stylist/MUA/location and you really can't go that far wrong.... but get some "real" person who is not used to their photo being taken and get a great shot, that to me is one of the beautiful things about photography. Magda Indigo springs to mind....

that's a starter anyway

User_Removed
8 Jan 2012 - 2:46 PM

Not a direct answer to the question but I read some research recently that showed that viewers at exhibitions spend, on average, twice as long looking at monochrome images as they did looking at colour images.

That rings true for me - monochrome just invites so much more critical analysis and interpretation.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Jan 2012 - 2:46 PM
ade_mcfade
8 Jan 2012 - 3:43 PM

Waterfalls

Always been a lover of waterfalls, even before I got a camera. Something about that transformation of water from a clear liquid into white frothy stuff as it crashes down a hill, and the accompanying sound... So to capture that in a photograph and do it well is a wonderful thing.

I've been trying to do long lens stuff with waterfalls - zooming in on details rather than the global view of the falls. Interesting challenge - makes you think of composition

Mono conversions

Everything I shoot is colour, obviously with RAW and digital, but I find myself editing a colour shot, saving it, then firing up SILVER EFEX and seeing what I can do - often getting a result I prefer to the colour one.

So I do get quite drawn to mono shots in a gallery - when the distraction of colour is removed, you start to see the subject more.

User_Removed
8 Jan 2012 - 3:49 PM

Images that take some thinking about and as a result, are worth putting on here. (Or anywhere for that matter) Wink

f8
f8  119169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2012 - 4:07 PM

I like textures,shadows,detail,simplicity, colour, Mono, candids, most of all a picture that says "I wish it were mine".

franken
franken e2 Member 123129 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2012 - 4:08 PM

Any images that hold my attention.

Last Modified By franken at 8 Jan 2012 - 4:09 PM
ade_mcfade
8 Jan 2012 - 4:13 PM

Quote: Any images that hold my attention.

feel free to expand on - this isn't Twitter where you only get 140 characters Wink

here's a question for you....

what kind of photograph or subject would typically hold your attention and why?

franken
franken e2 Member 123129 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2012 - 4:19 PM

Most well composed and if applicable,timed subjects that have an immediate impact and appeal when you open the thumbnail.

ade_mcfade
8 Jan 2012 - 4:21 PM

I reckon, with this being a "positive" thread, we could post examples of what we like into the thread.... can't see people being offended by that... so maybe pop in a shot or 2 to illustrate your points?

robthecamman
8 Jan 2012 - 4:48 PM

mmm these threads will get a few thinking includeing myself

ade_mcfade
8 Jan 2012 - 4:51 PM

have a quick scan through the galleries to jog your memory Rob - it helped me.

there's a lot to like out there

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2012 - 4:54 PM

Macro images of insects in their natural habitat that are really difficult to capture as well as insects I've never seen before. Other than this anything that appeals to my eye, which pretty well encompasses everything!

Ade

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2012 - 5:02 PM

Hard to say, really. But mainly work by people who go their own way and don't just follow the latest fads (be it super-saturated seascapes, hyper-detailled portraits that show every pore and nose-hair of the unfortunate sitter's skin, bad HDR... Oooops. This is starting to sound like that other thread.... Wink )

Last Modified By joolsb at 8 Jan 2012 - 5:03 PM
Jestertheclown

Photographs that, in my opinion, would be difficult to capture.
A lot of macro stuff appeals to me although I've no serious interest in actually taking any shots myself.
Shots taken underwater. I've been a scuba diver and done it so I can appreciate how well taken (or otherwise) the shots are.
A lot of B/W stuff appeals too.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.