Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photoshop? Batch Processing. Help?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
13 Jun 2012 - 11:56 AM

I have a job this weekend and i have to supply around 300 photos on a disc saved at a size of 800 pixels on the long end at 72dpi.

I was unsure how to do this so i downloaded a few shots on to my computer to do a test batch process and the problem i have is that the portrait format photos have been cropped in to a landscape composition so are no good but the landscape ones are ok.

Is there anyway i can do this properly in 1 batch process or will i need to batch process the portrait photos seperate from the landscape ones.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jun 2012 - 11:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96002 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 12:06 PM

Try looking at Irfanview - I think that gives you the option to set the length of the longest size rather than specifying landscape or portrait. It's been a while since I used it though......

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96002 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 12:17 PM

Easy Thumbnails by Fookes is another option (it will do larger pics than thumbnails)

Dave_Canon
13 Jun 2012 - 12:27 PM

The facility to do this in Photoshop is Image Processor which can be found File>Scripts>Image Processor. However, it is usually more convenient to select the images in the Bridge and choose Tools>Photoshop>Image Processor from the Bridge menu. If you use Lightroom then Lightroom's Export function provides a similar process.

Dave

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 12:30 PM

Quote: The facility to do this in Photoshop is Image Processor which can be found File>Scripts>Image Processor.

As far as I know you can't select the long edge to be 800px in Photoshop which is what Julian wants to do. Lightroom does, as you say, have the necessary feature.

sut68
sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 12:59 PM

Quote: Is there anyway i can do this properly in 1 batch process or will i need to batch process the portrait photos seperate from the landscape ones.

Batch process them separately!!! One for Landscape and one for Portrait ... use either for squared up shots.

Could've done them all by now Grin

Last Modified By sut68 at 13 Jun 2012 - 1:00 PM
GlennH
GlennH  91899 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 1:33 PM

Quote: As far as I know you can't select the long edge to be 800px in Photoshop which is what Julian wants to do. Lightroom does, as you say, have the necessary feature.

You can do it in Photoshop: just fill in 800px in both width and height boxes under 'resize to fit' (image processor).

Last Modified By GlennH at 13 Jun 2012 - 1:33 PM
AlanPerkins
13 Jun 2012 - 1:40 PM

Quote: The facility to do this in Photoshop is Image Processor which can be found File>Scripts>Image Processor.
As far as I know you can't select the long edge to be 800px in Photoshop which is what Julian wants to do. Lightroom does, as you say, have the necessary feature.

I hate to disagree with such an august personage as the mighy Pete Smile, but it can be done in Photoshop CS4 & CS5
If you set both the height and width to 800px, It will constrain the longest side to 800px, and resize the other in proportion.

As Dave says, it's easier to do from Bridge.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 1:48 PM

Quote: I hate to disagree with such an august personage as the mighy Pete. If you set both the height and width to 800px, It will constrain the longest side to 800px, and resize the other in proportion.

Lol whoops I missed that fact...thanks - I stand corrected. Grin

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
13 Jun 2012 - 1:53 PM

It is photoshop elements i have. I could just batch process the landscape and portrait photos seperatly but the problem is that the files would be in a mixed up order so when the client uploads them to their website they will be in the wrong order.

Pete
13 Jun 2012 - 1:58 PM

Have you tried setting 800px in height and width as suggested?

mikehit
mikehit  46194 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 2:07 PM

In Lightroom you can rename files by adding a sequence number before or after the existing filename which means you could resort the photos afterwards. I don't think you can do this in PSE.

Jestertheclown
13 Jun 2012 - 2:12 PM

FastStone.

Do the lot in one go. You can tell it to resize based upon the length of one side only regardless of its configuration and they'll remain in the same order as before you started and retain their existing flenames.

It's surprising that sometimes a free editor can do something so simply yet Photoshop has to turn it into a huge task.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 13 Jun 2012 - 2:16 PM
cattyal
13 Jun 2012 - 2:24 PM

Quote: It's surprising that sometimes a free editor can do something so simply yet Photoshop has to turn it into a huge task.

I'm with you on that Smile

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 7:03 PM

Quote: It's surprising that sometimes a free editor can do something so simply yet Photoshop has to turn it into a huge task.

I'm with you on that Smile

+1 from me too. Grin

Although I use LR4 and PSE9 for most things I am constantly amazed at how useful FastStone is for batch functions such as re-sizing, re-naming and watermarking.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.