Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

photoshop, lightroom, histograms

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Graywolf
    Graywolf  7964 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Aug 2011 - 7:52 AM

I was at Blackpool Pleasure Beach yesterday. I don't do rides so I was there as official family driver and photographer.
    Now for varioous reasons I have started using lightroom on my Macbook pro with an external HP monitor.
    I transferred the images on to the mac last night and started reviewing them. everything looked over exposed, to the point where some of the backgrounds were completely blown out although on the camera they were fine.

I put the images onto the PC and reviewed them in irfanview and in photoshop and they looked fine, as I expected them to look.

Then I noticed that in lightroom on the mac the histograms were pushed way to the right whereas in photoshop on the PC they were fine.
    Now this poses a big question for me as I thought that the histogram was immutable, and would show the same in any software but using the mac /lightroom combination I was having to adjust the exposure by up to -2 1/2 stops. I know the monitor on the Mac is not properly calibrated and that is a job I am about to do but surely that would not affect the histogram.

I would welcome any comments but please don't let this get into a Mac v PC slag off as I am looking for constructive advice

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Aug 2011 - 7:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Aug 2011 - 8:36 AM

It sounds to me like you have a preset somewhere. I am farily new to Lightroom myself but I recall there is a command to see the photo 'as shot' - have you tried that (I don't have the manual in fron tof me at the moment)?

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Aug 2011 - 8:52 AM

Lightroom only shows a histogram for Melissa RGB, which is a large colour space based on ProPhoto RGB. As far as I know it's incapable of showing any other histogram. However, that histogram should allow for more latitude—essentially the difference between raw and a camera-produced JPEG.

Last Modified By GlennH at 31 Aug 2011 - 8:55 AM
    Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Aug 2011 - 9:50 AM

I think mikehit is correct. Check your LR settings in the Develop Module. Immediately under the histogram is a drop-down menu entitled "Saved Presets". Make sure it is set to "Default Settings" because any other setting will change the histogram - sometimes quite dramatically.

Ewan

Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Aug 2011 - 10:10 AM

Sorry, I meant check your settings in the "Library Module". I'm still getting my brain in gear.

Ewan

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96308 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Aug 2011 - 10:25 AM

Lightroom has a system preset named
    General Zeroed

I have this as my default import preset and gives me a base start point for processing.

In the Library Module it can be found in the drop down list in Saved Preset under Quick Develop & Histogram.

In the Develop Module it can be found in the left hand panel under Preset.

As for your observation.... I do not think you can expect histograms viewed in different software to appear the same... but I cannot remember where I have read the explanation, probably on some Lightroom Forums ( Luminous Landscape or perhaps even Adobe )

Graywolf
    31 Aug 2011 - 11:13 AM

Just in the process of calibrating the monitor but thanks for the help everyone. Am I right to assume that if I calibrate the external monitor that I have fixed to the laptop it will not affect the calibration of the laptop's own LCD screen?

Graywolf
    31 Aug 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hi JJGEE
    I have the presets but how would you set one as your default import preset. I only seem to be able to set it for the current image?

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96308 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Aug 2011 - 11:44 AM

File > Import

Should bring up an import screen.

On the right hand panel there is an Apply During Import section

Develop Settings... drop down list of presets.

You can also set up Metadata presets and Keywords which will all be applied to your import of the selected images from the grid.

It is well worth getting to know this right hand panel quite well as it has quite comprehensive and time saving features.... especially as presets only have to be set up once and then just picked as and when required.

Graywolf
    31 Aug 2011 - 2:15 PM

Gotcha! Thanks a lot. Homework for later on this evening.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.