Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photoshop 7.0 has stopped working.....

ringyneck e2
8 308 18 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2014 1:00AM
After about 7 years my P/shop 7 had the message "Adobe Photoshop has stopped working....."...it says windows is checking to find the problem.

I have gone online and one way to fix it is to find the actual pshop 7 preferences psp file in c/docs and settings/owner/applications data/adobe/pshop/7/adobe pshop settings and move to recycle or desktop.

This is supposed to be a foolproof way of doing it but I don't know how to start...whats c/docs ? (where do I find it to click).

Thanks
Keith
p.s. I had this happen 1st on a laptop I had just put it on...it worked for about a day then not.Went to use it on the PC later and then it happened on there...they share the same email address so is that why it happened.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rogleale e2
12 122 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2014 6:49AM
You must mean Photoshop ELEMENTS 7. Photoshop is only up to CS6.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
7 Apr 2014 7:39AM
Hi Keith. c/docs means the C drive on your pc and docs is the document folder. Go to My Computer, you'll find the C drive listed there.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2014 8:09AM

Quote:You must mean Photoshop ELEMENTS 7. Photoshop is only up to CS6.

Photoshop 7 was released in about 2001. Photoshop 8 became CS so CS6 is sort-of Photoshop 13.
So yes, it could be Photoshop 7 or PS Elements 7.
ringyneck e2
8 308 18 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2014 10:14AM
Yes it is the "steam age" P/shop 7 (no elements)...LOL

It has thousands of features but all I require is that it opens my pics and I can do minimal adjustments with resizing for the web.

I am usuing pixlr.com at the moment and it's almost a clone of P/shop but I have to open it 1st for every pic I want to even look at.
I just get on with P/shop 7 and miss it....sob.

I went to computer and the only reference to "c" is c/drive in the Hard Disc Drives and when I double left click a list comes up but cant find what to do next...

This is the solution I found and am trying to follow.

Another (better) way is to find the actual Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp file in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\7.0\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings and move it to Recycle or your Desktop and restart Photoshop. A new Preferences file will be created. The advantage to this is if you have unsaved custom presets, actions or whatever they will not be lost. But you should be Saving them anyway.

Any time something worked yesterday but doesn't work today in Photoshop should make you suspect a corrupted Preferences file.

I know after getting on for 15 years of having a computer I should know how to do things but as Homer Simpson once said something like " When I cram one more thing in my brain 3 others leave the other end".

Keith
7 Apr 2014 2:01PM
could you not reinstall it - if you have the disc, though it would be better to uninstall the one that's on there first BTW i am still using photoshop 6 .

Pete.
ringyneck e2
8 308 18 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2014 9:59PM
Hi Pete I have tried re-installing it every day for about a fortnight.
Need to get rid of the thing that is stopping it installing.
Thanks
Keith
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2014 10:07PM
How far do you get with the installation?
I de-installed a copy of Elements 9 and now when I re-install it, it does all the right things until it gets to the registration step and then says it can't complete and it rolls back the installation - it seems to be common problem with re-installation.
Just joined to help out here. Found your post after I had exactly the same thing - years-old version of Photoshop 7 stopped working suddenly, for no reason I could detect. Keith, tried the solution you'd found but I couldn't find the file you had been recommended to delete either. Came across the following page: this page on the Adobe forum . It refers to CS6 but I found the file using the info there, just looking for Photoshop or Photoshop 7.0 instead. FOund the file, moved it to the desktop, tried opening PS again - dadaaaaaaa it works!

Hope that helps Smile
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
16 Apr 2014 2:25PM
I know a few professionals who still use Photoshop 7 because it does what they need it to do. I use CS2 and look at each new version to see whether it's worth the upgrade.

The problems arise when we need to reload after an HDD failure or onto a new machine. Adobe don't seem to be willing to activate it.
ringyneck e2
8 308 18 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2014 4:50PM
Thanks chelseagirlBC and thewilliam ....so all might not be lost yet....I will see if I can achieve what you did when I have cleared my head for a searching session...lol

Keith
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 Apr 2014 7:58PM

Quote:The problems arise when we need to reload after an HDD failure or onto a new machine. Adobe don't seem to be willing to activate it

This should not be too much of a problem unless your regularly blowing HDD`s Smile

How old is your PC Kieth, most machines are 64bit these days.
MGJ e2
6 169 5
18 Apr 2014 12:47PM
If you are going to reload onto a new machine, or the same machine with a new motherboard, you must go to PS help, and deactivate first. Then load onto a new machine, and then reactivate. Its to do with what Adobe sees as an extra use and therefore an additional license.

I'm not sure when licence/installation counting started, but it certainly applies to more recent versions - that fix works perfectly.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
18 Apr 2014 1:00PM

Quote:If you are going to reload onto a new machine, or the same machine with a new motherboard, you must go to PS help, and deactivate first. Then load onto a new machine, and then reactivate. Its to do with what Adobe sees as an extra use and therefore an additional license.

I think you're right and it's probably worth a try but this de-activation/er-activation business is one of those grey areas that Adobe seem to be so fond of.
I use CS6 now but I've still got a legit copy of CS5, which I used to have installed and running simultaneously on two machines and a laptop, all installed using the same licence.
I've also, admittedly a long time ago, installed CS2 on a second machine after its previous host had packed up. I couldn't have de-activated that if I'd wanted to as the drive on which it was installed had completely broken.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
18 Apr 2014 9:51PM

Quote:Adobe don't seem to be willing to activate it.

No wonder folks are using pirated/illegal copies then?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.