Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photoshop

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
18 May 2010 - 7:36 AM

Hi...On occasions my pictures on EPZ have been "modified" by another member and turned a mediocre shot into an excellent image.
While I make no pretence at being a first class photographer this has made me realise that perhaps my problems lie less with my skills as a photographer as with my lack of skills in Photoshop.
In an attempt to learn the mysteries of Photoshop, I asked another member at my local camera club for help, while the conversation was not very positive he did say to try "levels" by pressing CONTROL+D ....I know this guy only has Elements but this does not work on my Elements 5..... Do I need another version of Elements ? ...if so which one ?

He also said that I would be better with a book...looking on ebay I find numerous books on the subject...Unfortunately I'm not educated and have a lot of trouble learning, I have tried the lessons that come with the magazines but I always fall at the first hurdle and I wondered if a book may be better, can anyone reccomend one in the style of Janet and John ?

I really want to learn but It is difficult getting help when you don't know the questions to ask so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

regards....Mike

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 May 2010 - 7:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Michelle_S
18 May 2010 - 7:41 AM

I find the video tutorials much better than a book, I can see whats being done at every step in specific detail,whereas a book doesnt always give you that,I find that with a book it takes me alot longer to learn even simple things.
Epz and ephotozine.tv seem to have everything covered so I usually just look through those two sites and occasionally google to find more video tutorials.
Plus they are free which in these tough times is always good Smile
Hope this helps.
Regards Michelle

Edit: Thought i should add i have tried a book,photoshop for dummies and i found it hard to follow,so much for being for dummies!

Last Modified By Michelle_S at 18 May 2010 - 7:43 AM
chrishanley
18 May 2010 - 9:07 AM

the best way to learn photoshop is hands on experience, then practice on the techniques you have learnt.
Marko is widely recognised as one of the best PS trainers there is. Save yourself months of laboured training and spend
a day with him. Details HERE

Tell him I sent you, he'll probably give you a few complimentary actions

Good luck
Chris Hanley

MikeRC
18 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for that Michelle...what I'm really looking for is a reccomendation, book or video, I don't mind...as long as it's straight forward.
I have tried googling but I get a trillion hits all claiming to be free but they're not really....so if you can say..."look at this"...it'd be appreciated.

Cheers Chris...that suggestions fraught with difficulties, not least a 400 mile round trip...having to learn at the same speed as the others in the class or pay 500 for 1 to 1 tuition and still maybe not learn....thanks Chris but not for me.....Mike

Michelle_S
18 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

What kind of effects are you looking to achieve?
This link is a tutorial onLevels
More often than not, I don't know what effect I am looking for so I occasionally browse the tutorials there and also on here and if i see something I like I just practice with it.
I'll have a search this afternoon and see if I can come up with a few more specific tutorials.

Can't help with the book recommendations as I've only bought one (photoshop elements for dummies) and found it to be difficult to learn from.

Last Modified By Michelle_S at 18 May 2010 - 10:12 AM
MikeRC
18 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

Thanks Michelle....I think what i'm looking for is more "punch" if that's the right word....not looking to win prizes.

I will study that one you have linked to...many thanks.

.....Mike

User_Removed
18 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

Photoshop merely allows you to retrofit to an image the compositional components that make up the kind of stuff that appeals to our artistic minds; luminosity contrast, chromatic contrast, tonal ranges, DoF control and even, though cropping, compositional rules. It's all the sort of stuff that you can achieve through careful and considered image taking. Yes, photoshop can be used to enhance what's already there but good digital imaging starts with a good photo. It's hard to make a silk purse out of a sows ear and when you try it can look really cr@p.

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
18 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

In Elements 5, Levels is Ctrl L, or in the menus Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Levels. You'll also find Curves under Enhance>Adjust Colour>Curves. There's lots of other adjustments to Contrast, Shadows & Highlights etc under these headings.

MikeRC
18 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

....thanks Chris...that helps i'm sure.

Cheers Rog...i've found it....wish I had your skills.

.....Mike

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
18 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

Quote: Cheers Rog...i've found it....wish I had your skills.

Practice, practice, practice!! Smile

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
18 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

Quote: Cheers Rog...i've found it....wish I had your skills.

Guess you owe Rog a pint! Wink

BlindMonkey
18 May 2010 - 1:01 PM

Youtube is full of tutorials some good some bad but they all free, its worth a look.

As for books i like the Scott Kelby ones, they easy to follow.

Ian

PhilScot
PhilScot  8242 forum posts United Kingdom
18 May 2010 - 1:20 PM

Barry Beckham's digital DVD are really good. He has some tutorial Visoere, but check out his site
www.beckhamdigital.co.uk

Last Modified By PhilScot at 18 May 2010 - 1:21 PM
chrishanley
18 May 2010 - 3:18 PM

Mike, if Marko's not for you, two good authors on PS are martin evening and scott kelby

Michelle_S
18 May 2010 - 4:00 PM

Hey Mike found a video tutorial that 'might' help until you find a dvd/book you like Linkylink . I don't think its a photoshop elements tutorial but it still might give you an idea.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.