Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photoshop

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Glashutte
Glashutte  8 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hi Eveyone-

Have a trial version of Photoshop CS5 which will expire soon- I don't want to spend a fortune as it'll take me years to get the most out of it.
Does anone know where to get an older version?

Many Thanks

Rory

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Oct 2010 - 10:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Glashutte
3 Oct 2010 - 10:38 AM

Also, I should have checked the preview and my spelling before submitting Doh!

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2010 - 10:58 AM

Why not use Photoshop Elements. It has most of the features of the full package and is considerably cheaper. Normally around 80, but with a bit of shopping around or special offers can sometimes be purchased for just over 50.

minicooper
3 Oct 2010 - 11:42 AM

Elements 9 has just come out. I have photoshop cs2 and elements 6. I hardly ever use photoshop because I find elements has all I need. Also Corel's paintshop pro is an idea.

Glashutte
3 Oct 2010 - 3:25 PM

Thank you Csurrey and Minicooper!

Snapper
Snapper  93769 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2010 - 3:57 PM

Cheapest I've seen Elements 9 is on eBuyer @ 58.58, but you can also get Elements 7 on eBay for 19.94 if that's more to your liking.

Glashutte
3 Oct 2010 - 6:24 PM

Hi, thanks for this

Is Elements really as good?

Can you do everything or will it be a case of upgrading as the skills improve?

Thanks

Rory

JJGEE
JJGEE  96341 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2010 - 6:28 PM

I would be cautious about buying earlier versions of Elements ( or any other software ) as they may not support your camera's RAW file format.
Just check that out before you buy.

Jestertheclown

Quote: Is Elements really as good?

As CS5?
No. It's nowhere near.
In fairness, I've never owned a copy of Elements but I do have (somewhere) a copy of Serif PhotoPlus X3 which is very similar so I'm basing my comparison on that.
To be honest, if you're moving away from CS5, anything you use to replace it is likely to look like its poor relation.

Jester.

Glashutte
3 Oct 2010 - 6:35 PM

Ok,
Is it worth buying Elements?

How long does it take to get good in CS5?

Thanks

Rory

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2010 - 6:36 PM

Thing is, you may not need the functions of Photoshop 5... just because you have used it doesn't mean you've used all the features which it has over-and-above Elements... or perhaps you have, I dunno.

What about trying Elements first?

I have to say that if you've never actually had a copy of Elements it's probably not fair to make the comparison...!

I mean, having the top-draw stuff might be nice, but if you can't afford it and don't need it...

Jestertheclown

Quote: Is it worth buying Elements?

Is it possible to download a trial of Elements?
Might be an idea before you part with fifty or so quid?

Quote: How long does it take to get good in CS5?

How long is a piece of string?
I think that that will depend on a thousand things.
How quickly you learn?
How much of CS5's capabilities are you likely to want or need to learn?
I've used just about all the freebies out there, then Serif for about two years, then CS2 for about the same and now CS5 for about six months.
I've certainly gone beyond scratching the surface of it but it's a huge learning curve and I'm not sure that anyone really reaches the top.

Jester.

chalkhillblue
chalkhillblue e2 Member 6143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2010 - 7:03 PM

As has already been stated download a trial of the latest elements software, I think you may be surprised how much it has to offer,
also there are plug ins and add ons which you can download to bring it closer to the full photoshop. Also from time to time, twice recently,
there is an offer for registered owners of elements to upgrade to the latest photoshop for half the full price.
I am currently using elements 8, my third version and very happy with it, that is not to say if I had the spare money I would not buy the
full versions, just one more point there is a massive amount of on line support for the elements software.
David

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2010 - 7:16 PM

Here's an example of use, or not-use of Photoshop...

The "design studio" - and I use that term loosely - where I work, have to get the Photoshop manual out each time they are asked to do anything with a photograph. Now they are mostly doing just DTP, to be fair, but I would expect them to be able to know about the layer function... Obviously they have the full CS5 - the complete suite - so they can just use the bits they like... oh, and they aren't paying for it!

So, sometimes not even those you might expect to have the need to use it, really understand what it is capable of.

Whilst I covet those with the full Photoshop, in my heart-of-hearts I know it is overkill for my own needs Sad

Glashutte
3 Oct 2010 - 7:33 PM

All this sounds good.

You know when you're in the situation of decididing- and not knowing-

Many Thanks

Rory

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.