Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photoshop

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tanglefoot
tanglefoot  10949 forum posts England
30 Jul 2012 - 1:29 PM

I've never used Photoshop and, don't see the point of it, well tell a lie, I downloaded the trial for CS6, still can't see the point of it. Is it just me or am I missing out? It seems everybody uses PS in one form or another, so my question is, should I follow the herd and get PS and get stuck in, or carry on as I am, I still do jpg, and never used raw, hdr, need some constructive advice please

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jul 2012 - 1:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53671 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2012 - 1:37 PM

It can be such a waste of time Arthur, stuck in front of the PC all day and not taking photo's.

But yes I want to do this more and more as many of the photo's i really really like have been post processed and i want that look.
I'd spent two years thinking I could get the look without any post processing but finally had to admit i wanted it.

The answer is your own really - can you take the photo's you want straight out of camera?

A mid way point many people seem to like is lightroom as ( once you've learnt it) it helps sort and process your photo's - though it does not do layers.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93505 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
30 Jul 2012 - 1:43 PM

Quote: I've never used Photoshop and, don't see the point of it

I know exactly what you mean....I can't do it either Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2012 - 1:59 PM

If you only shoot JPEG and want a basic (free) image editor to tweak the odd photo, something like FastStone may be quite adequate, and you may find you never want anything more. Smile

Jestertheclown
30 Jul 2012 - 2:04 PM

CB's right.
It all depends on what you want from your images.
Pixlr's quite useful too, if you're only shooting Jpegs.

tanglefoot
tanglefoot  10949 forum posts England
30 Jul 2012 - 2:09 PM

Thank you for the help, its just that my partner and I got married 3 months ago, the photos we had taken at the wedding were...well as photographers, Linda and I noticed everything that could have been done to improve them, I said...if that was me who took them, I've have PS'd that and, this and, that, so it got me thinking, do I or Don't I

Jestertheclown
30 Jul 2012 - 2:10 PM

Quote: A mid way point many people seem to like is lightroom

There's a growing school of thought that Lightroom's all that you need.
Personally (I don't have V4), I don't find that it's any kind of replacement for 'proper' Photoshop and although it's really good at what it does, I still need to finish my images in PS.
Also, Lightroom's really designed for use with RAW files and although it will allow you to work with Jpegs., much of its versatility becomes wasted.
I've also found it quite difficult to learn.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 30 Jul 2012 - 2:12 PM
Jestertheclown
30 Jul 2012 - 2:14 PM

Quote: I've have PS'd that and, this and, that, so it got me thinking, do I or Don't I

Sounds to me as if you might be better off with 'Elements.'
It's a far cry from the full-blown version but it's ideal for minor work and seems to be sufficient for a lot of people.

capto
capto e2 Member 21235 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2012 - 2:35 PM

I just love PS, but unless you use it's many tools and features the money could be better spent on equipment. Progress to PS when elements or free programmes are not doing all you need.

scottishphototours

Re your weddings comment, just remember that PS is NO replacement for bad technique!

A crap pic is a crap pic and PS won't change that.

What about Elements, the stripped down version of PS?, seems to work for a lot of people..

monstersnowman
30 Jul 2012 - 4:48 PM

Not sure what is mean't by 'not seeing the point of photoshop'. It's a digital version of the darkroom. Maybe for some there is 'no point' in the latest versions at the premium cost as there are many adequate cheaper programs, but photoshop and it's like are very useful, even if only to be able to replicate old darkroom editing such as cropping, adjusting contrast, brightness, dodging, burning, etc.

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2012 - 5:27 PM

Quote: Linda and I noticed everything that could have been done to improve them, I said...if that was me who took them, I've have PS'd that and, this and, that, so it got me thinking, do I or Don't I

You've answered your own question.

ourdayphotos
30 Jul 2012 - 6:27 PM

People have been photographing for decades without PS, even the masters but I think it really expands the possibilities and my own photography has improved as a result. I wouldn't be without it.

Jestertheclown
30 Jul 2012 - 6:30 PM

Quote: People have been photographing for decades without PS,

Have they though?
Lightroom is so called because it's claimed to be the digital equivalent to a darkroom and how long have they been in use?
Photoshop, of one kind or another has always been with us.

collywobles
30 Jul 2012 - 6:36 PM

Quote: I've never used Photoshop and, don't see the point of it, well tell a lie, I downloaded the trial for CS6, still can't see the point of it. Is it just me or am I missing out? It seems everybody uses PS in one form or another, so my question is, should I follow the herd and get PS and get stuck in, or carry on as I am, I still do jpg, and never used raw, hdr, need some constructive advice please

From day one photographers have always manipulated images be it negatives - prints or digital images via software. Its a choice, if you dont want to do then fine - its your call.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.