Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Photoshop

tanglefoot 10 963 England
30 Jul 2012 1:29PM
I've never used Photoshop and, don't see the point of it, well tell a lie, I downloaded the trial for CS6, still can't see the point of it. Is it just me or am I missing out? It seems everybody uses PS in one form or another, so my question is, should I follow the herd and get PS and get stuck in, or carry on as I am, I still do jpg, and never used raw, hdr, need some constructive advice please

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2012 1:37PM
It can be such a waste of time Arthur, stuck in front of the PC all day and not taking photo's.

But yes I want to do this more and more as many of the photo's i really really like have been post processed and i want that look.
I'd spent two years thinking I could get the look without any post processing but finally had to admit i wanted it.

The answer is your own really - can you take the photo's you want straight out of camera?

A mid way point many people seem to like is lightroom as ( once you've learnt it) it helps sort and process your photo's - though it does not do layers.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
30 Jul 2012 1:43PM

Quote:I've never used Photoshop and, don't see the point of it

I know exactly what you mean....I can't do it either Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
30 Jul 2012 1:59PM
If you only shoot JPEG and want a basic (free) image editor to tweak the odd photo, something like FastStone may be quite adequate, and you may find you never want anything more. Smile
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
30 Jul 2012 2:04PM
CB's right.
It all depends on what you want from your images.
Pixlr's quite useful too, if you're only shooting Jpegs.
tanglefoot 10 963 England
30 Jul 2012 2:09PM
Thank you for the help, its just that my partner and I got married 3 months ago, the photos we had taken at the wedding were...well as photographers, Linda and I noticed everything that could have been done to improve them, I said...if that was me who took them, I've have PS'd that and, this and, that, so it got me thinking, do I or Don't I
30 Jul 2012 2:10PM

Quote:A mid way point many people seem to like is lightroom

There's a growing school of thought that Lightroom's all that you need.
Personally (I don't have V4), I don't find that it's any kind of replacement for 'proper' Photoshop and although it's really good at what it does, I still need to finish my images in PS.
Also, Lightroom's really designed for use with RAW files and although it will allow you to work with Jpegs., much of its versatility becomes wasted.
I've also found it quite difficult to learn.
30 Jul 2012 2:14PM

Quote:I've have PS'd that and, this and, that, so it got me thinking, do I or Don't I

Sounds to me as if you might be better off with 'Elements.'
It's a far cry from the full-blown version but it's ideal for minor work and seems to be sufficient for a lot of people.
capto e2
2 1.5k 7 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2012 2:35PM
I just love PS, but unless you use it's many tools and features the money could be better spent on equipment. Progress to PS when elements or free programmes are not doing all you need.
scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
30 Jul 2012 3:32PM
Re your weddings comment, just remember that PS is NO replacement for bad technique!

A crap pic is a crap pic and PS won't change that.

What about Elements, the stripped down version of PS?, seems to work for a lot of people..
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
30 Jul 2012 4:48PM
Not sure what is mean't by 'not seeing the point of photoshop'. It's a digital version of the darkroom. Maybe for some there is 'no point' in the latest versions at the premium cost as there are many adequate cheaper programs, but photoshop and it's like are very useful, even if only to be able to replicate old darkroom editing such as cropping, adjusting contrast, brightness, dodging, burning, etc.
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
30 Jul 2012 5:27PM

Quote: Linda and I noticed everything that could have been done to improve them, I said...if that was me who took them, I've have PS'd that and, this and, that, so it got me thinking, do I or Don't I

You've answered your own question.
ourdayphotos 2 229 Scotland
30 Jul 2012 6:27PM
People have been photographing for decades without PS, even the masters but I think it really expands the possibilities and my own photography has improved as a result. I wouldn't be without it.
30 Jul 2012 6:30PM

Quote:People have been photographing for decades without PS,

Have they though?
Lightroom is so called because it's claimed to be the digital equivalent to a darkroom and how long have they been in use?
Photoshop, of one kind or another has always been with us.
collywobles 10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2012 6:36PM

Quote:I've never used Photoshop and, don't see the point of it, well tell a lie, I downloaded the trial for CS6, still can't see the point of it. Is it just me or am I missing out? It seems everybody uses PS in one form or another, so my question is, should I follow the herd and get PS and get stuck in, or carry on as I am, I still do jpg, and never used raw, hdr, need some constructive advice please

From day one photographers have always manipulated images be it negatives - prints or digital images via software. Its a choice, if you dont want to do then fine - its your call.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.