Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photoshop CC and Lightroom online monthly paying????

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Nigwel
Nigwel 
3 Apr 2014 - 10:09 PM

Hi.

Can anyone give me an idea of how the monthly purchase, (8.78 per month) of Photoshop and Lightroom works. Do you get full use of them or are they restricted?

Also, do they slow a pc down?

Is it the only option to own them these days or can they still be bought on disk?

Thanks

Nige.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Apr 2014 - 10:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2014 - 10:16 PM

You can still buy CS6.

However, if you want the up to date and updatable PS you need CC. At the moment the cost makes sense - we'll see after the year is up, at which point you could still get CS6.
Yes you get full use of them and yes, you need as much memory as you can afford or fit in your machine. On a PC 4GB is not enough, and PS CC will just run out of steam. Different on a MAC (no idea why) and a 4gb MAC will run both without too much fuss.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2014 - 10:18 PM

Currently Lightroom can still be bought as a stand alone product but probably not on disk, you have to download it from Adobe's website.

Jestertheclown
3 Apr 2014 - 10:25 PM

Quote: However, if you want the up to date and updatable PS you need CC

That's what I thought.
I've got CS6 on here and I also trialed CC, which I got rid of when it was due to expire.
I've still got the CC desktop on here though and from time to time it pops up and tells me that it's updated or updating CS6.
The updates aren't new tools or innovations that I really can't live without; they don't exist in CC either. These are more just bug fixes and so on but it does indicate that Adobe are still looking after CS6, even if it is only after a fashion.

Nigwel
Nigwel 
3 Apr 2014 - 10:30 PM

Thanks.

I`ve got 2 or 3 free photo programmes on my PC and they seem slow at times and I`ve got 8gb of memory.
Id like to think my PC would handle PS but without downloading it, I`ll not know!!

Is it a downloadable programme or is it internet based?

Thanks.

Nige

Jestertheclown
3 Apr 2014 - 10:32 PM

Quote: Currently Lightroom can still be bought as a stand alone product but probably not on disk, you have to download it from Adobe's website.

Not quite yet, Jeff.

Personally, I'd get the download for the convenience and burn my own disc.
What's more worrying is the thought that Adobe could pull the plug at any time and make it rental only.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 3 Apr 2014 - 10:32 PM
keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2014 - 10:35 PM

You download CC just like other versions but it is validated and updated via Adobe Creative Cloud.

Adobe still look after CS6 but it doesn't get the attention that CC gets. I can see it hanging around for a while yet.

Jestertheclown
3 Apr 2014 - 10:38 PM

Quote: Is it a downloadable programme or is it internet based?

Photoshop, whichever version you use, is downloadable and runs as an installed programme on your machine.
The 'cloud' bit in the name is slightly misleading.
With 8gb. of RAM, (that's what I've got) you should have no problems with it.
If you want to find out, you can download and use Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 for a thirty day trial period.
Mind you, in thirty days, while you might get to grips with Lightroom (you can save a lot of time and heartache if you avoid the libraries function like the plague), you'll barely scratch the surface of Photoshop.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 3 Apr 2014 - 10:38 PM
Dave_Canon
3 Apr 2014 - 10:58 PM

I have had cc since last December. I had CS6 and LR4 before and they are still installed on my PC but I now have PS cc and LR 5. It was only today that I was wondering if PS cc had provided me with anything new over CS6. I have now found an Adobe comparison and it appears that there are several new features which are aimed at illustrators and web designers so not much use to me. I did find a four things for Photographers, Smart Sharpen, Camera Shake reduction, Perspective Warp and Intelligent upsizing. I would never need the Intelligent upsizing and would very rarely want to use the Perspective Warp. While the smart sharpen is an improvement of the CS6 version, I tend to use Topaz for final sharpening. I tried the Camera Shake reduction on a shot of a motor cycle crash. Previously I had tried to remove the movement blur using Topaz InFocus but this resulted in added artefacts and was not successful. However, I was amazed at this new cc feature as it was very effective. However that is not much to show for 3 months. I am wondering if there is anything useful Adobe could add to PS cc; I cannot think of anything significant that I need particularly as most of my editing is done in LR.

Dave

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2014 - 10:59 PM

Quote: Hi.

Can anyone give me an idea of how the monthly purchase, (8.78 per month) of Photoshop and Lightroom works. Do you get full use of them or are they restricted?

Also, do they slow a pc down?

Is it the only option to own them these days or can they still be bought on disk?

Thanks

Nige.

I`ve been using CC for about 5 months now.

Before joining I sat down and estimated what I had spent on Adobe software in the previous five years, It worked out that 5 years of CC for Lightroom and Photoshop was actually cheaper than buying software and trying to keep up to date with it.

Restrictions, absolutely none, I find you actually get a whole load more if you want to make use of the free cloud storage and all the free apps.

There are three downloads for the LR/photoshop package, four if you want to include Bridge.

Updates, I`ve seen quite a few for cloud and Photoshop, LR updates are fewer.

capture-cc.jpg

Adobe software is no longer called software, these days they call them Apps Smile

capture-cc2.jpg

Quote: Also, do they slow a pc down?

This will depend on your PC, how old it is, available ram, number of CPU cores, graphics card etc etc.

Adobes latest software uses the Mercury engine and makes full use of open CL, so to get the best out of the software PC upgrades may be needed.

capture-cc3.jpg

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2014 - 8:05 AM

I've been using CC a while, about as long as Paul. The current pricing makes it attractive (I still have CS5 incase they up the amount) my guess is they will increase but at a realistic level, it's in their interests to have a consistent, predictable revenue stream.

Quote: Quote: Also, do they slow a pc down?

I have a lot of RAM 16GB it's cheap these days. I do do a lot of PS work in some of my work. It's often I have over 50 layers at 16bit - and the files are huge over 5GB, at this size, yes it slows, but not unworkable, you don't notice it with normal adjustments etc you do however when saving.

One thing I would say I now use Lightroom much less when working on multilayer projects preferring to use bridge and camera raw - it's far quicker and the changes are identical as they use the same engine.

So do the maths, but if you can afford the monthly outlay I would say go with it.

Quote: I am wondering if there is anything useful Adobe could add to PS cc

The ability to have Liquify as a smart object is useful
Not seen any remarkable changes with smart sharpen (I know it's meant to be better) I use smart sharpen all the time
I couldn't get the reduce camera shake to work that well - I've only tried it once on very high ISO image and it was more subject blur tho.
Upsizing is great - use it a lot with old images to get them to match layer size of D800 files - in CS5 sometimes you lost detail.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 4 Apr 2014 - 8:13 AM
here4years
here4years e2 Member 161 forum postshere4years vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2014 - 8:31 AM

Quote: On a PC 4GB is not enough,

Don't know why a PC should be different, but I run Adobe CC, Lightroom and Bridge on a 4GB laptop and it works perfectly.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2014 - 9:30 AM

Quote: On a PC 4GB is not enough,

Don't know why a PC should be different, but I run Adobe CC, Lightroom and Bridge on a 4GB laptop and it works perfectly.

This will depend on what you want to achieve, numbers of other programs running at the same etc, etc.

4gb is about enough for just the basics.

I notice the 8.78 offer is again open for everyone.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 4 Apr 2014 - 9:31 AM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2014 - 11:03 AM

Quote: What's more worrying is the thought that Adobe could pull the plug at any time and make it rental only.

Phase One, I suspect, are on standby ready to " invite " LR users over to Capture One Pro Wink

puertouk
puertouk  21068 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2014 - 12:44 PM

The Yanks have had the lease mentality for years now, especially with vehicles and Adobe has followed in this way. I think they have gone down this route because of all the piracy of their software and maybe a lot of people not having around 700 in their pocket, but it's not stopped the hackers, as you can get Photoshop CC on various pirate sites for free, as almost any other type of software as well.

I think Adobe will offer 2 ways of getting Photoshop in the future. One will be CC, with it's monthly payments, which obviously means no large initial outlay. The other, will be purchasing a disk or downloading it, Photoshop CS7.

You can still purchase Lightroom 5 on disk (PC World) or download it. Both prices are the same 89.99.
Stephen

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.