Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photoshop CS

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kokobrown
kokobrown  101902 forum posts Scotland
8 Sep 2005 - 9:02 AM

Weve just started a 36 week course on Photoshop CS at college. My tutor recommended we "get a copy" from somewhere..Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a copy and it wont cost me the earth...

Laura
xx

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Sep 2005 - 9:02 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hugo
Hugo  9637 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Sep 2005 - 9:15 AM

Im a student at university, the university IT people offer discounted software available to students, your collage may do the same.

I looked at buying CS but I didn't cos it's still not that cheap....

EDIT

here

299! Suppose it's cheap, but still alot!

kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2005 - 9:16 AM

Cheapest I've seen is a shade over 500. CS2 is the same price, so you may as well go for that. You can upgrade for a lot cheaper if you have an older copy, but it needs to be full copy. I don't think Adobe do student / teacher discounts.

_
_  9535 forum posts Virgin Islands, British4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2005 - 9:16 AM

Laura,
Essentially you are asking for a pirate copy, something which is illegal under the terms of Adobe's license agreement.
Your tutor is not doing anyone any favours by encouraging the use of pirate copies.

FWIW Warehouse Express are selling CS2 for 479 and are selling the CS2 upgrade for 149.
If your college are running this course I would expect them to offer student discounts for the necessary software.

John

kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2005 - 9:19 AM

Looks like I'm wrong on the student front. Maybe you could club together with your classmates and go for a bulk purchase with those discount points.

mpower
mpower  9186 forum posts England
8 Sep 2005 - 9:20 AM

Hi Laura

Well...there are of course copies you can get for knockdown prices on eBay but it's not exactly legal so of course I wouldn't suggest that to you *ahem*

One option is to go for the much cheaper Photoshop Elements. It's a slimmed down version but the tools and general use of it is pretty much the same - after all, it's still Photoshop. I reckon you could get by using Elements on the home system and CS at college.

Mark

EDIT: Amazon do Elements at 50 but search around as you can get it cheaper elsewhere. My local Staples (the office supplier) had it at 20 the other week but that was an offer price.

kit-monster
8 Sep 2005 - 9:25 AM

It's really not a good idea to use a pirated copy of photoshop, besides it being illegal. PS CS and later requires you to register and has a web component which checks your copy is legal. If it isn't it will be disabled and you will have great difficulty installing a legal copy. I have a work colleague who was stupid enough to go down this road and it took a very long time to sort the mess out resulting in a PC rebuild.

shitzkit
shitzkit  10147 forum posts
8 Sep 2005 - 1:54 PM

i got mine for a tenner lol but wont get into it. laura i see you went to see the Henri Cartier-Bresson gallery. we all went to see it yesterday my class that is and found it to be fantastic and that wooden camera someone made for him got us thinking back to NC Photography when we had to make pin hole cameras but i know its not the same thing but did get us thinking about our first year. was really somthing and gave us the chance for a piss up with the tuters. great day. so are you studing in glasgow or elsewere

anthony stewart hamilton

kevinthediver

Hi Laura,
If you want Elements, I'm pretty sure that I have an unopened CD somewhere in this study, which you are welcome to have for nothing. I got it free with some product, scanner or printer or something, and I've already got the full photoshop so haven't used it.
Mail me if that's any use.
Regards
Kevin

UserDeleted
8 Sep 2005 - 10:44 PM

All.

Please keep this conversation legal and above board otherwise it will be deleted.

Mike.

IanBW
IanBW  965 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Sep 2005 - 12:52 AM

I too have a spare Elements 2.0 licence. Got one with the camera, one with my scanner, free to a good home. Mail me on ian_wood@tiscali.co.uk

Laura, you could always try the OEM software sellers for a cheap(er) copy, but if a price seems too good to be legal, then it probably isn't. The legality of OEM software is also debatable. As for buying from EBay, 99.99999% of the copies sold are illegal, don't use them.

If you intend to become a professional photographer and use PS in your business, you should make sure your software licences are squeaky clean, or you could be put out of business by the fines imposed if you're caught !.

Ian

mlewis
mlewis  91475 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Sep 2005 - 1:10 AM

The cheapest way to get Photoshop CS is to get hold of an unused earlier version of Photoshop - they shouldn't be too expensive - and then get the upgrade version of CS2. This is all legal provided the earlier version is unused or has had the licence transferred to you and been removed from the sellers computer.

You could also get the educational version. Cheaper than the full version but exactly the same - only the terms of the licence is different. I think you should use educational versions for commercial work or something.

IanBW
IanBW  965 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Sep 2005 - 3:22 AM

To get educational versions, they usually have to be bought through an educational body such as a school or college, and be bought solely for educational use.

The way it used to work was you bought a licence over the counter, then get a letter from the school/college certifyng your useage details and the software gets sent through the post on receipt of your licence and the letter.

Ian

Sweetpea
Sweetpea  8 United Kingdom
12 Sep 2005 - 1:55 AM

Hi there. I'm quite new to the digital side of things, and at the moment just crop things a bit sometimes with the MS Picture Manager. Since being on here, I've seen the Photoshop benefits, which look great. I don't want to alter stuff loads, but if it means I can save yet another from the bin, it'd be good! Smile Is Elements easy to use and has anyone else seen it on offer anywhere (I've just looked online at Staples and they don't seem to be listing it now).
All info gratfully received Smile

timwilson
timwilson  9181 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Sep 2005 - 2:01 AM

I'm another one who has a few unopened, legal copies of elements kicking about which I got free with various bits of hardware. If anyone wants one, it's yours for the cost of P&P

Tim

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.