Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photoshop Elements 10. modifications in 8-bit only? Why not 16-bit?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    petemasty
    petemasty  5155 forum posts England
    28 Sep 2012 - 2:42 PM

Decided to get Elements 10 the other week to mainly do things like cloning or removing 'things'. Cant use PSPro (which i had previously) because I now have a Mac. Currently use LR4 and Nik Software Suite.

so, my question is, will Elements only allow me to 'doctor' photos in 8-bit only? Or is there a way around these things?

I had GIMP before and can only assume GIMP allowed me to 'doctor' in 16-bit, as no little box came up telling me to convert the pciture to 8-bit before doctoring.

If all this makes sense then please alucidate (i think thats the right word).

Please, no questions back asking why i prefer to PP in 16-bit. Just take it as read that i would.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Sep 2012 - 2:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ourdayphotos
    28 Sep 2012 - 2:58 PM

I think that's one of the main differences between Elements & Photoshop 8bit & 16bit for the full version.

mikehit
    mikehit  56461 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 3:00 PM

I believe that PSE 10 supports 16-bit editing but not on all functions (it is OK for clone etc).

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/adobe_photoshop_elements_9... http://www.photoshopsupport.com/elements-10/16-bits-channel-elements-10-tutorial...

If you go to a function that is not supported there seems to be a way to work round this but it adds to processing time.

petemasty
    28 Sep 2012 - 3:19 PM

if i can work in 16-bit for cloning that would be of help. i shall check those links mikehit. cheers

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 5:20 PM

E10 allows RAW files to be edited in 16 bit but you have to convert back to 8 bit for Pshopping.

petemasty
    1 Oct 2012 - 12:30 PM

Oh well, looks like Elements 10 was a bit of a waste for me. I looked at GIMP over the weekend, and this too only edits in 8-bit.

found tiffen EFX v3 to have the ability to clone in 16 bit. At over a 100 it may not sound good value for just cloning in 16-bit, but the filters with it are really quite good. playing with the trial version att he moment

Oh, if only NIK Software did cloning!!!!

mikehit
    mikehit  56461 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 1:39 PM

I know you asked us not to, but why are you so intent on editing in 16-bit? If it was that important, you have to ask why even the full-fat Photoshop does many tasks in 8-bit (and printers generally work in 8-bit).

As I understand it, working in 16-bit layers would be very heavy on resources and given that you can clone stamp 16-bit in Lightroom and other RAW editors are you barking up the wrong tree?

Quote: Oh well, looks like Elements 10 was a bit of a waste for me.

In what way?

petemasty
    2 Oct 2012 - 3:36 PM

I know you asked us not to, but why are you so intent on editing in 16-bit?

Personal preference. Simple as that. LR clone is ok for isolated blemishes.

Well, it does look as if i shall have to clone in 8-bit when i try and rid photo's of telephone lines and other such blemishes.

anyway, thatnk you all for your kind input.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.