Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Photoshop Elements 10. modifications in 8-bit only? Why not 16-bit?

petemasty 5 155 England
28 Sep 2012 2:42PM
Decided to get Elements 10 the other week to mainly do things like cloning or removing 'things'. Cant use PSPro (which i had previously) because I now have a Mac. Currently use LR4 and Nik Software Suite.

so, my question is, will Elements only allow me to 'doctor' photos in 8-bit only? Or is there a way around these things?

I had GIMP before and can only assume GIMP allowed me to 'doctor' in 16-bit, as no little box came up telling me to convert the pciture to 8-bit before doctoring.

If all this makes sense then please alucidate (i think thats the right word).

Please, no questions back asking why i prefer to PP in 16-bit. Just take it as read that i would.

Many thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ourdayphotos 2 229 Scotland
28 Sep 2012 2:58PM
I think that's one of the main differences between Elements & Photoshop 8bit & 16bit for the full version.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2012 3:00PM
I believe that PSE 10 supports 16-bit editing but not on all functions (it is OK for clone etc).

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/adobe_photoshop_elements_9_to_10_16_bit_color
http://www.photoshopsupport.com/elements-10/16-bits-channel-elements-10-tutorial.html

If you go to a function that is not supported there seems to be a way to work round this but it adds to processing time.
petemasty 5 155 England
28 Sep 2012 3:19PM
if i can work in 16-bit for cloning that would be of help. i shall check those links mikehit. cheers
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
28 Sep 2012 5:20PM
E10 allows RAW files to be edited in 16 bit but you have to convert back to 8 bit for Pshopping.
petemasty 5 155 England
1 Oct 2012 12:30PM
Oh well, looks like Elements 10 was a bit of a waste for me. I looked at GIMP over the weekend, and this too only edits in 8-bit.

found tiffen EFX v3 to have the ability to clone in 16 bit. At over a 100 it may not sound good value for just cloning in 16-bit, but the filters with it are really quite good. playing with the trial version att he moment

Oh, if only NIK Software did cloning!!!!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
1 Oct 2012 1:39PM
I know you asked us not to, but why are you so intent on editing in 16-bit? If it was that important, you have to ask why even the full-fat Photoshop does many tasks in 8-bit (and printers generally work in 8-bit).

As I understand it, working in 16-bit layers would be very heavy on resources and given that you can clone stamp 16-bit in Lightroom and other RAW editors are you barking up the wrong tree?

Quote:Oh well, looks like Elements 10 was a bit of a waste for me.

In what way?
petemasty 5 155 England
2 Oct 2012 3:36PM
I know you asked us not to, but why are you so intent on editing in 16-bit?

Personal preference. Simple as that. LR clone is ok for isolated blemishes.

Well, it does look as if i shall have to clone in 8-bit when i try and rid photo's of telephone lines and other such blemishes.

anyway, thatnk you all for your kind input.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.