Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

photoshop fakes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

bedwell
bedwell  845 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 - 6:35 AM

I find it ironic that many magazines are aimed at the full version of Photoshop and not elements when doing tutorials, i wonder how many amateur photographers use copied (pirated) versions of Photoshop CS. Why don't magazines aim primarily at elements instead, how many home users genuinely fork out 600 for their hobby.

bedwell

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Oct 2012 - 6:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

alistairfarrugia
alistairfarrugia Critique Team 1164 forum posts Malta88 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 6:49 AM

Thing is, buying Photoshop for a photography enthusiast should be compared to buying another good quality lens, as the investment would be around the same amount. Whilst it's true that buying software, an intangible, might seem like a very pricey endeavor at that price, it's also true that money spent on photography by the typical enthusiast is always on the high side, Photoshop or not.

One more thing, most tutorials dealing with Photoshop are probably repeatable using other software that can be purchased more cheaply - you just have to know where to find the tool that repeats the same process and you're sorted.

bedwell
16 Oct 2012 - 6:50 AM

i should add the software part of their hobby!

bedwell

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 7:37 AM

simple fact is, PS does more than Elements, It is more versatile and most plug ins and tablets recognise PS as the industry standard.

Last Modified By ianrobinson at 16 Oct 2012 - 7:40 AM
SteveHunter
16 Oct 2012 - 7:52 AM

Quote: I wonder how many amateur photographers use copied (pirated) versions of Photoshop CS.

If I knew how to get hold of a pirated copy I may be tempted, but I don't so I have to spend the money Sad

Quote: how many home users genuinely fork out 600 for their hobby.

I can't think of many Amateurs who succeed in spending less, camera, lenses, filters, spare batteries, SD cards, hard disk storage, camera bags etc.. You also have to spend a far bit of cash to have a computer that will happily run Photoshop with the size of files these days.

paulcookphotography

Many of the mags are aimed at the full version of Photoshop, but they usually have tutorials that can be done using Elements or even PaintShop Pro.

Its really just a case of finding your level and whether that justifies the full version of Photoshop. I am a photographer, yes, but most editing could be done in lightroom or elements. However i am also a digital artist and therefore i need the features i can get in CS6, Corel Painter and all their plugins and filters, so i have invested in these packages.

Having CS6, just like having the best kit and lenses, will not necessarily make someone a better photographer unless they have learned the skills required to use it, and require it.

parallax
parallax e2 Member 5110 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 - 8:03 AM

Lightroom is a good start at a fraction of the price.

keithh
keithh  1022782 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 8:15 AM

Most photographers do not need full blown PS and will never use a fraction of it's capabilities. It is primarily a graphic design tool.

KevSB
KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 8:44 AM

Quote: I find it ironic that many magazines are aimed at the full version of Photoshop and not elements when doing tutorials, i wonder how many amateur photographers use copied (pirated) versions of Photoshop CS. Why don't magazines aim primarily at elements instead, how many home users genuinely fork out 600 for their hobby.

I doubt very few if any would on an open forum admit to using a fake copy so no accurate fugures would ever be availible, numbers would be highly inacurate and would prove that everyone used a genuine version of PS.

Do you use 100% licenced Software!

bedwell
16 Oct 2012 - 9:29 AM

i use a purchased copy of elements 6 i bought from adobe when it was released and still have not used it 100%, no doubt as my photo efforts will show to any who have seen them! i am not having a go at anyone, it was just a observation on my part.

if i may have offended any one it was not intended.

bedwell

Jestertheclown
16 Oct 2012 - 9:38 AM

Quote: if i may have offended any one it was not intended.

I don't think anyone's been offended.

There was a thread on here a while back, when CS6 was launched, in which an Epz. member told the story of how his camera club had entertained a guest speaker one evening to speak, I think, about Photoshop.
At the end of his talk, he asked outright, how many people present (at the camera club) were using a genuine copy of Photoshop. The Epz. guy was the only one who put his hand up.
I've no idea how many people o here are using 'pub car park' copies.
Quite a few, I'd imagine and how many are using the student/education version via someone they know? That's the obvious and fairly simple route to getting a cheap but genuine copy.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 16 Oct 2012 - 9:39 AM
TimMunsey
TimMunsey e2 Member 386 forum postsTimMunsey vcard United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 - 9:52 AM

I have an education copy, working at a University, you can get a special education price on Adobe Creative Cloud at the moment 15.88 per month for more Adobe software than you'll need. The draw back of the education route is you have to buy the extended version of photoshop and you cannot upgrade, once the general public have purchased photoshop they can upgrade for a more reasonable price - so its just that initial purchase that is painful.
After all that I think elements probably covers 99% of what we need anyhow, and the very cheap lightroom is getting ever better.

Tim

Last Modified By TimMunsey at 16 Oct 2012 - 9:53 AM
SteveHunter
16 Oct 2012 - 10:00 AM

I don't think you would have offended anyone as you haven't accused anyone specifically of using a dodgy copy, even though some people undoubtedly do.

I have been out of Photography for a couple of years as I lost interest, but now that has been resparked I'm looking to improve my processing as that is something which has always let me down, that and the taking decent photographs in the first place of course Grin. The version of Photoshop I have is very old and won't run on my current computer, so I'm using it on an old PC at the moment which isn't ideal, and it won't handle the RAW files from my 60D so I have to convert them in DPP.

Is lightroom a good alternative? I don't really know much about it, but it is certainly more affordable, and if it will do all the basics then I could look at purchasing that, as Photoshop does all sorts of things I don't understand and is really too complex for my simple needs. I did notice Lightroom handles video as well, which could be useful if I ever use the Video functionality on the camera.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 10:20 AM

Lightroom is an excellent program for processing. If you should want or need other tools for manipulation then it has to be Photoshop.

There is a difference, with the latter catering mainly for the graphic artist and designers as Keithh has pointed out.

As the saying goes its like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Jestertheclown
16 Oct 2012 - 10:49 AM

Quote: the latter catering mainly for the graphic artist and designers as Keithh has pointed out.

That's quoted on here quite frequently and I do wonder how many of the people quoting it, actually use, or have ever owned a copy of Photoshop CS.
I've been using it since CS2, missing out 3 and 4, migrating to CS5 and now I have that and CS6 installed on here.
I'm not a graphic artist or designer. I don't go in for manipulation to any degree but I use Photoshop all the time, on my photographs.
I also use Lightroom, admittedly V3.6 and it's very good at what it does but its processing powers are extremely limited when compared to Photoshop.
By way of an experiment, I recently used nothing but Lightroom for a while, then tried Lightroom combined with 'Elements 10' (trial version) to see how the combinations compared with using CS. There really was no comparison.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 16 Oct 2012 - 10:49 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.