Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

photoshop for thickos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brianquinn
13 Aug 2007 - 9:59 PM

Can any body suggest a good book for TOTAL photoshop virgins?
I take a reasonable photo now and then but I am almost completely useless on the old computer. I can open an image into CS2 but after that I'm totally lost - I've tried faffing about but am getting nowhere. If I could find a book that really did start at the beginning I'm sure I'd be able to give David Bailey a good run for his money in no time at all!
Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Aug 2007 - 9:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Lou_C
Lou_C  7755 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2007 - 10:03 PM

There are so many Photoshop books, I would suggest taking a trip to your local library and picking up a few. Also you might find it handy to google for Photoshop video tutorials, because there are hundreds on the web, and I find them much easier than reading a book.

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2007 - 10:06 PM

Might be worth a look in the ePz book review section.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2007 - 10:31 PM

Also worth a look is some tutorial DVD's, These can sometimes fill in the blanks as you get a visual demo of what they are rambling on about, This helps to make more sense than words alone...Smile

To locate some DVD tutorials, Check out the Software section of Ebay.....

wawatson
wawatson  1172 forum posts
13 Aug 2007 - 10:50 PM

... but you could do worse than google for the tutorials from Barry Beckham. He does quite a few, and for Photoshop CS's and Photoshop Elements.

William

Last Modified By wawatson at 13 Aug 2007 - 10:51 PM
John_Humphreys
13 Aug 2007 - 10:59 PM

I'll second Barry Beckham. I have bought several books on Photoshop Elements and Barry Beckham's is by far the best. John

dcash29
dcash29  81904 forum posts England
13 Aug 2007 - 11:18 PM

' How to do everything with CS2 '

by Colin smith

search Google ( colin smith cs2 )

tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Aug 2007 - 12:14 AM

monthly magazines are another good source of tutorials, quite a few are for beginners and give you a chance to get familiar with the tools and techniques.

Kim Walton
Kim Walton e2 Member 10144 forum postsKim Walton vcard United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2007 - 11:25 AM

Try Adobe Classroom in a book easily laid out and covers all basics--
Try eBay there a lot cheaper.Theres not that much differance between the versions so if trying to keep the cost down try PS7 classroom in a book it will tell you about selecting,masking,layers and a host of other stuff thats still relivant---then you can put it back on fleabay for sale and get your money back.
Regards
Kim

francesam
francesam  8 United Kingdom
14 Aug 2007 - 11:52 AM

Barry Beckham without a doubt. Excelent cd tuturials. I've learnt a lot from them and i'm 60 something and not to clever at taking things in.

Last Modified By francesam at 14 Aug 2007 - 11:52 AM
billip
billip  9388 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Aug 2007 - 3:51 PM

I find that the dvds which accompany Digital Photo each month are pretty good. They also sell a couple of special tutorial dvs at 19.95. One of these is called "Getting Started in Photoshop" and is comprehensive and easy to follow. I recommend it for a "total virgin " !

NeilS
NeilS e2 Member 7837 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
15 Aug 2007 - 6:10 PM

Photoshop for Dummies perhaps

ink_weaver
16 Aug 2007 - 5:39 PM

I buy Digital Photo magazine for the tutorial dvds. They are very good and I have learnt a lot from them. Sure helped me out with CS2.

webjam
webjam  10292 forum posts Netherlands11 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2007 - 6:45 PM

There are some sites that offer tutorials on line - you buy a subscription for a month and are then allowed to view any of the tutorial videos that they have.
To start and to get a feel of the quality of the courses, you will be able to view some free, introductionary tutorials. These free tutorials are often about the interface.
Here is a link to the VTC website and then there is also lynda.com which works on the same priciple.

Of course you need to have broadband since these are moving images and sound.
If none of the tips help (also from the other EPZers above) PM me. Think I still got some instructional dvd's and cd's that came free with various Brittish magazines.
Jacqueline

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2007 - 6:47 PM

Second "Getting Started in Photoshop" DVD from Digital Photo Magazine.

Mike

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.