Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photoshop not recognising my raw files? - Help!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chelle
    chelle  877 forum posts
    26 Dec 2011 - 8:32 PM

Hi all!

I have just changed from a Canon eos 400d to a 550d as I needed to make videos as well as take photos.

Anyway, my problem is that I have shot RAW files on the new 550d and I just tried to open them up in photoshop and it won't allow me to. When I try and open a file with photoshop a message comes up saying that Photoshop doesn't recognise these files so can't open it! Does anybody know why this is?
    When i shot RAW files on my Canon 400d I could take them into photoshop, so I can't understand why it will not recognise RAW files from the 550d.

I really need access to these photos today so any help to how I could open them would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou in advance. Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Dec 2011 - 8:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    26 Dec 2011 - 8:43 PM

min of: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4683

But you really should get into DNG.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 26 Dec 2011 - 8:44 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85835 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Dec 2011 - 9:22 PM

If you are using PS before V4 then you are on a sticky wicket - either DNG or Canon's own software

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    User_Removed
    26 Dec 2011 - 9:30 PM

Use Canon's Digital Photo Professional (it comes on a disc with your camera). You can do many adjustments to the raw file, if you need to transfer to Photoshop for further editing it's one menu click.

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3772 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Dec 2011 - 9:43 PM

If you are really stuck......download the free ADOBE DNG CONVERTER......it converts your RAWS to DNGs (digital negatives same quality as RAWS) .........then use Photoshop on conversions........I had to do it and still use it........I have CS3.

Hobbo

chelle
    chelle  877 forum posts
    26 Dec 2011 - 10:06 PM

Thankyou all for your help! Swwills sorted it with his suggestion. I have cs4 so the update really helped sort my problem out. Thankyou very much for everyone who took the time out to answer me. Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.