Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Photoshop or what!?

janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2008 12:13AM
OK. Big confession. I don't actually like photoshop!

There I've said it.

Apart from a few things I find most of it complicated and tedious. It frequently goes wrong and I really don't want to spend hours tweaking and changing an image to try and improve what I should have deleted. Also when I am happy with the result it takes ages to save the image if it works at all.
Is there a better, more user friendly image editing programme that any one prefers to use or am I just not trying hard enough with Photoshop.

Please help before I completely lose the plot!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BigCol e2
13 1.8k 1 Scotland
19 Dec 2008 12:20AM
Sounds to me like you may need to get a better machine to run Photoshop on rather than blaming Photoshop's apparent short comings.

Quote:I really don't want to spend hours tweaking and changing an image to try and improve what I should have deleted.
Then don't! Work on the images that are worth working on (and try to get as much right in camera as you can).

Quote:It frequently goes wrong
Quote:
it takes ages to save the image if it works at all

Sounds like a memory problem to me, ie not enough memory to run PS properly.
There are plenty of other programs out there, why not try Gimp?
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2008 12:40AM
I'm not blaming photoshop. I find it complicated, and yes, my 5 year old computer is probably past its best.
Just wondered if anyone else felt the same and had found a better programme to use.

I will have a look at Gimp.
funkeldink e2
11 1.6k 1 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2008 1:10AM
try ELEMENTS rather than PS
Camairish 9 1.3k Scotland
19 Dec 2008 1:17AM
Agree - Adobe Lightroom is where I've ended up.
I like to get it right in the field and process the RAWS and make minor adjustments in Lightroom.
I did go on a 1 day course locally though which made a huge difference too and was well worth the money.

Are you a photographer who enjoys the cut and thrust of getting an image rigt in camera leaving only the RAW file to be processed? Or are you a techie (with an interest in photography) who has a burning desire to indulge in every digital application and variable available?

I suspect the former, and I prescribe Adobe Lightroom.

Ian.

PS that's the blue touchpaper lit!
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2008 1:22AM
RAW all the way. I am definately not a techie and do prefer it to be right in the camera first. I was very much a film fanatic long before the digital dawn so it had to be right or it was very expensive!
culturedcanvas 9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2008 1:25AM
Photoshop and your raw processor are key tools in creating your images. There really is no better program than photoshop. However it is a professional program and you really need some tuition to get the most from it.

I generally find it takes me around 4 to 6 half day sessions to train someone in the basics of using photoshop. Its a long learning curve from here however in that amount of time you can give someone enough knowledge to be effective and to start learning themselves.

Dont give up on it and if you cant afford the tuition then read, read, read ....

Dan
Camairish 9 1.3k Scotland
19 Dec 2008 1:34AM
Techie
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2008 1:55AM

Quote:Adobe Lightroom is where I've ended up

Me also, an excellent program that doesnt need hundreds spending on tuition apart from the hundreds more they ask for above
the price of Lightroom.
PSP shouldnt be ignored. If you are planning to go professional then Dan is right, its the one to get to grips with.
Ken
AngieLatham 10 789 2 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2008 9:48AM
A lot of people new to photoshop and simmilar aplications make the mistake of jumping straight into the latest CS3 or 4 etc, the best thing I could recomend is to start off with Elements and progress up as and if you want to do more with your pictures.
Reading isent always the best way , I still use easy shortcuts that I personally found from trying things out rather than following complicated instructions from the manual,which I often found confusing and contradictory.
I havent had a photoshop lesson in my life and I'm certainly not technically minded .

I have also started useing lightroom, which I agree is very good and more photographer based rather than designer, but I still find I finish off in Photoshop more times than not.
martyn05 7 363 England
19 Dec 2008 9:49AM
At times I find CS3 hard but I brought a good book and use it when I need help. I enjoy manipulating images with photoshop although it can get frustrating at times!

Janeez, check the specs of your computer against your version of photoshop, they give a minimum spec and a recommended spec. The minimum is the absolute lowest it will run to an acceptable performance allowing for long delays etc. Computers go out of date so quickly. Upgrades are easy, I change the spec of my computer every 12 months or so.
ellis rowell 10 2.0k United Kingdom
19 Dec 2008 11:44AM

Quote:I'm not blaming photoshop. I find it complicated, and yes, my 5 year old computer is probably past its best.
Just wondered if anyone else felt the same and had found a better programme to use.

I will have a look at Gimp.

I have been using two programs, MS Digital Image suite 10 and The Gimp. Of the two, DI 10 was the easiest to use, The Gimp has taken a lot of learning (but then so does Photoshop). It is often said by users that there is little difference between PS and The Gimp (except the price). Since I've moved over the Ubuntu/Linux I have concentrated on The Gimp because DI will not run under that system. The one advantage I have found in The Gimp, is the perspective tool, which you can use to straighten converging verticals. I have not found this in anything else.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2008 11:52AM
the biggest differences GIMP to Photoshop I found were;

1 Lack of 16 bit support from the GIMP
2 The floating menus in Windows (more annoying than serious)

But its a lot better than it used to be, and you can live with it. Photoshop Elements strikes me as being a lot easier to learn with.
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
19 Dec 2008 12:00PM
Paintshop pro X2 is good and much cheaper and has about 90% of the functions of Photoshop. However, I agree with the above, the main problems seem to be with memory, computer speed etc...and even if you got PSP X2 you's still have to be doing the same kind of work, so the comments above about getting as much as you can right in camera are crucial as well
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2008 7:10PM
Thank you all for your very helpful comments. I like the sound of Adobe Lightroom and yes, finishing in Photoshop is fine. I will look into all of these programmes and see which one suits me best. I knew I would get invaluable advice from everyone.

Happy christmas and a merry new year to all.

Jane. x

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.