Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photoshop Stroke Question

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
28 Nov 2012 - 5:59 PM

Any idea if there's a way to get more control of the stroke blending option in layer styles? I want to do an outside stroke but without rounded corners.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Nov 2012 - 5:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72144 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2012 - 6:13 PM

Set to square/chisel edged brush?

User_Removed
28 Nov 2012 - 9:50 PM

Sadly the chosen brush has no effect. You can see the problem in this screengrab, I want square corners, I can get that if I use an inside stroke but it ingresses into the picture.

28-11-2012-21-37-15.jpg

Last Modified By User_Removed at 28 Nov 2012 - 9:54 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2012 - 9:53 PM

Make whatever you're drawing 18px too big and put a 18px inside border on it.

select the layer and then go under Select->Modify and expand it by 18px.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 28 Nov 2012 - 9:57 PM
User_Removed
29 Nov 2012 - 12:08 AM

That would work if I was selecting areas from another photograph, make them too big then inside stroke them.

My layers are images that I don't want to crop so I need to do outside stroke.

Have been making a photobook for an Xmas gift. Here's a typical page (resized by ePz) I made for a book. The white strokes have rounded corners and I had to keep em thin to minimize the effect. If I did inside strokes they'd spoil some of the pictures Sad

multi1.jpg

It looks like I'm going to have to enlarge the canvas of the original pics before bringing them onto the background. Trouble is at this point I'd position and resize then add a stroke. Any resizing will also resize the border I create earlier.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 29 Nov 2012 - 12:14 AM
GlennH
GlennH  91889 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 7:17 AM

I may have a way of achieving this Chris:

Convert layer into smart object, right-click and select 'edit contents', increase canvas size as required, use paint bucket tool to fill transparent border (not sure how to avoid transparency - canvas extension colour was greyed out), hit save. That seems to create the border at required size with the layer in situ.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
29 Nov 2012 - 9:43 AM

That will do it Glenn, thanks. Can't believe it's not available as an option that can be toggled.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 10:07 AM

or alternativly:
Ctrl + click on the layer to select its contents
Select->Modify and expand it by 18px
add a new layer
add stroke inside 18px
then link (or merge) the two layers and you can resize how you like.

User_Removed
29 Nov 2012 - 11:07 AM

I don't know if you tried it but it doesn't work. Also the expanded selection has rounded corners! Thanks anyway.

User_Removed
29 Nov 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'm baffled now, I can't get that to work! Can anyone else? When I apply the minimum filter it just screws up the photo that I want to stroke Sad

Edit - Reading the comments seems I'm not the only one. It only works for bloody solid colour squares ffs! Rarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last Modified By User_Removed at 29 Nov 2012 - 11:19 AM
GlennH
GlennH  91889 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 11:17 AM

I saw that Chris, but it seemed to work better with his white square than it did on my photo, which was mashed by the upsizing! I was experimenting with a crappy JPEG though - maybe it'll work better on a high res file.

Edit: too slow!

Last Modified By GlennH at 29 Nov 2012 - 11:18 AM
User_Removed
29 Nov 2012 - 11:21 AM

Cross posting Glenn, looks like we both saw same solution but had same problem with solution. There's got to be a killer way that can be put into an action.

What I like about using stroke is that the stroke remains constant even if you change the size of the layer that's being stroked.

lobsterboy
29 Nov 2012 - 1:58 PM

Quote: I don't know if you tried it but it doesn't work. Also the expanded selection has rounded corners! Thanks anyway.

missed that. You can get round that by using quick mask:

Ctrl + click on the layer to select its contents
Press Q for Quick mode then Filter>other>maximum 15px
Press q again
use the paint bucket to fill the space bettween the pic and your selection with a colour
add stroke inside 18px

Kind of looks like it works to me

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
29 Nov 2012 - 2:29 PM

That almost works but doesn't quite and I think I understand why. After filling the gap with colour (I choose red so can spot it easily) I have an 15px new red border round my image, when I inner stroke this layer 18 pixels white it creates a border that's more like 30 pixels wide.

Seems to me, maybe others can confirm, when you do an inner stroke it does both inner borders at the same time. Weird!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 29 Nov 2012 - 2:43 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.