Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Phottix Odin triggers and Sekonic L758dr light meter

puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2013 5:05PM
I purchased the Phottix Odin TTL flash triggers around 6 months ago and they work fine. The problem I face now is, I have purchased the Sekonic L758DR light meter a couple of months ago, which is an amazing piece of kit. I have the Canon 5D MKII. BUT, the Sekonic will not fire my Phottix Odin triggers wirelessly as they are on a different setting to the Phottix. They will work if I set the light meter for flash, take a meter reading, then fire the flash within 90 seconds and it will take a reading. The problem I have is, I cannot be in 2 places at once. In other words, I cannot fire the flash if the flash is on the camera hot shoe and take the reading at the same time, can I? The Sekonic will trigger the Pocketwizards as they are set up to fire them. Why don't these manufactures come up with a standard system? So, does this mean I have to start over again with my flash trigger and purchase the Pocketwizard system?
Stephen

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Feb 2013 5:13PM
You might need to connect a pc lead from the light meter to the flash trigger, and fire the flashes using the test button on the flash meter.
duratorque 11 413 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2013 6:09PM
Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking. If you are using Odin, why would you have the flash on the camera? You would position your flash guns and have the control unit on your camera hot shoe. You can trigger the off camera flash by pressing the test button or press the shutter button on the camera.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Feb 2013 6:39PM

Quote:Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking. If you are using Odin, why would you have the flash on the camera?

Yes confusing, why would you want to use triggers and an expensive light meter if the flash is plugged into the camera`s hot shoe.

I think a bit more of an explanation is needed Smile
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2013 6:58PM
OK, I have sorted it out. But thanks for your help
21 Apr 2013 3:28PM
I understand your question and I am wondering the same thing. I am curious as to what your solution was.
Thanks!
duratorque 11 413 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2013 8:42AM
The only solution is to put the control unit on the camera and press the shutter button to trigger the lights.
22 Apr 2013 12:27PM
Thanks.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.