Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Picked up a film camera again

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    montechoro
    montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2011 - 7:32 AM

A much loved, pre-owned Fuji GA 645Zi has tempted me back to film again.

I'm just running some XP2 through it now.

What a superbly engineered camera - very well thought out and easy to use.

Slightly nervous about the exposures without histograms though and changing films takes ages ina shadowy corner Wink

I actually had a security guard ask me what I was doing huddled in a corner of a 12th Century stone entrance gate, fiddling with something and my back to him LOL

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Mar 2011 - 7:32 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy80F
    Andy80F  11306 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Mar 2011 - 8:39 AM

Picked up A Bronica SQ-B with its standard 80mm lens and then got lucky on a flea bay auction for a 50mm and 150mm lenses a week or so ago from flea-bay. Yet to use it as now resurrecting my developing kit with the intent to develop B&W film in a daylight tank and scan the resulting negatives. A bit reluctant however to use it till the dev side is sorted so as not to build a pile of exposed but undeveloped film.

I was wondering if I were to use a fish tank heater, relatively powerful ones can be had for under a tenner on e-bay, in a large basin might give enough temperature control to consider colour neg developing. Dedicated water baths are relatively rare on the used market.

Its hard to move from the convenience of digital but film does seem more "real".

Andy

samfurlong
    22 Mar 2011 - 10:25 AM

Quote: I was wondering if I were to use a fish tank heater, relatively powerful ones can be had for under a tenner on e-bay, in a large basin might give enough temperature control to consider colour neg developing

To be honest it's not that bad. I have done color neg and trannie developing in a normal paterson tank in my kitchen sink before.... here's how.

1. Calculate your developing time for each solution at a given temperature (let's say 30 degrees)

2. Using water (with NO FILM in the tank), heat the water to 32 degrees and do a dry run of the developing process.

3. Measure water temperature at the end. Say you started off 2 degrees too hot, so you want to finish 2 degrees too cold. If it is 4 degrees too cold at the end, then raise the start temp by 1 degree to balance it out.

4. Do it for real.. honestly it works just fine.. I have done it hundreds of times in kitchen sinks, bathrooms etc..

If you don't fancy that (or have no access to hot water for some reason) , then just leave the water to cool / heat to room temperature until the temperature stabilises, measure the temp and simply adjust your development times accordingly. Sure they will be longer but the pictures will be fine.

Last Modified By samfurlong at 22 Mar 2011 - 10:30 AM
    spaceman
    spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2011 - 10:28 AM

Postie's just delivered the mint condition Dynax 9 (Minolta's last pro camera) that I got off ebay for 200. I've been shooting MF for months so it'll be nice to give my aching bones a rest and use a relatively light camera again. Smile

samfurlong
    22 Mar 2011 - 10:31 AM

I am seriuosly considering getting a canon eos - 1n off ebay for 200.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73826 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2011 - 10:44 AM

Would love to get hold of a panoramic film camera - but they are still way too expensive at the moment.

User_Removed
    22 Mar 2011 - 1:09 PM

Was using my old af nikon lenes on a D70 and then a D 90 but bought an absolute mint Nikon F5 from Mifsuds.....bliss....in case I didnt make myself clear....BLISS...the camera has weight , feel, prescence and was a quarter of the original price.....I no longer miss my F3s....now all I need is a couple of rolls of fuji E6.....stuart

randomrubble
    22 Mar 2011 - 10:11 PM

I've just put a couple of rolls through my Contax 159MM. A camera I dreamed of in the 80s, it's a joy to use such a light, simple and compact camera.

pentaxpete
    4 May 2011 - 1:08 PM

Wait until you feel the weight of a Pentax 6x7 outfit -- two bodies, four lenses, extension tubes etc etc THAT'S what I call 'Film Cameras' !!

strokebloke
    17 May 2011 - 2:28 AM

Quote: an absolute mint Nikon F5 from .........

Good man Stuart. I've got Nikon digi's [d100/d2xs] but by far my favourite, is my f5. When I've done a days shoot with that (sometimes, admittedly, using the d100 to meter from) I feel fulfilled ~ exhausted & feeling as if my teeth are coming loose, but nevertheless fulfilled Grin
    The only one that gets near it is the d2x - that's as blisteringly fast & thumps lenses into focus in the same manner the the f5 does.

You're right ~ the f5 is BLISS

User_Removed
    17 May 2011 - 8:37 AM

KEEP THE FAITH JACK!

strokebloke
    18 May 2011 - 9:07 PM

Quote: Pentax 6x7 outfit -- two bodies, four lenses, extension tubes etc etc

That's not photography. that's weight - lifting. Sad Grin Grin
    Can't beat an f5 Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.