Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Picture library advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    limafish
    limafish  6 United Kingdom
    14 Nov 2012 - 8:22 PM

The mountain rescue team I am part of is looking to set up a picture library to catalogue the images of the team over the last 50 years and into the future.

We are considering web based storage so that they can be viewed and downloaded by different team members for use - ie team presentations etc - and as an archive.

This will obviously require a massive amount of tagging and coordinating by the couple of lucky volunteers who have set themselves up for the job.

My question is which web based system might be most appropriate for the task? The team is currently considering a pro flikr account, is this the right option?

If you require further information to be able to provide suitable advice please ask.

Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Nov 2012 - 8:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    14 Nov 2012 - 8:55 PM

Why not consider putting them up on a Commercial Agency site? There would be people out there willing to buy the right image for commercial reasons - and your Team could reap some financial rewards whilst others can just 'view'.

Just a thought.. Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 14 Nov 2012 - 8:56 PM
    GarethRobinson
    14 Nov 2012 - 9:07 PM

Would google drive do for storage, and google+ setup as a group with photo galleries do what you need.
    It's easy to setup, can be edited from any device and free so might be worth looking at.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2012 - 2:54 AM

Get a free Skydrive account.

Gives you 7 gigabytes of free online storage, and its easy to set up, you can set up a group so great for a team.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/skydrive/showcase-photos#1TC=t1

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2012 - 3:07 AM

Quote: We are considering web based storage so that they can be viewed and downloaded by different team members for use - ie team presentations etc - and as an archive.

This will obviously require a massive amount of tagging and coordinating by the couple of lucky volunteers who have set themselves up for the job

Linked to the wrong page, this page will probably make more sense Smile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/skydrive/at-work

779HOB
    779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Nov 2012 - 5:49 AM

Does Skydrive compress your images? I have an account but haven't used it for sharing images as it seemed to compress high res to low res which in my case wasn't what I needed. But I might have missed a setting somewhere.

I use Dropbox now to share with different clients and it works very well. I haven't paid and seem to have about 4Gb free - you get 500mb free every time someone new joins one of your shared folders.

Last Modified By 779HOB at 15 Nov 2012 - 5:50 AM
    lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2012 - 6:42 AM

Quote: Does Skydrive compress your images?

I just tried it and it doesn't seem to. When you view an image it will give you a preview which is a low res file for speed but if you download the file it is the same size.

Jestertheclown
    15 Nov 2012 - 7:47 AM

Quote: When you view an image it will give you a preview which is a low res file for speed but if you download the file it is the same size.

Yep!
    You effectively download your original.
    I've got a load of stuff saved on Skydrive. When I began, they were giving away 25gb. of storage per email account. It's a shame that that stopped.
    The biggest downside to using it is the time it takes to upload and download your images. It'll run in the background but there's always the prospect of accidentally turning it off (yes, many times)! It's probably best done at night or while you're away from the computer.
    That aside, it sounds like just what you need.

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 15 Nov 2012 - 7:47 AM
    lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2012 - 8:15 AM

Going back to the original question:

Quote: This will obviously require a massive amount of tagging and coordinating by the couple of lucky volunteers who have set themselves up for the job.

To that I would add scanning & adjusting the shots if this hasn't been done already. personally I would look at spliting the library along some sort of natural line (say 5 years of pcs for each volunteer) and using something like Lightroom, iView Media Pro, Photo Mechanic etc. to do all the keywording, grouping and metadataaization that you need as the tools on these would be much quicker for handling loads of photos than an inline syatem.

Then combine the various datasets & upload to the web. That way you always have the pics & data available so should the online service disapear you can upload to another one.

779HOB
    779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Nov 2012 - 2:25 PM

Quote: When you view an image it will give you a preview which is a low res file for speed but if you download the file it is the same size.

Thanks for that. I hadn't twigged to it.

Paul Morgan
    15 Nov 2012 - 10:50 PM

Quote: I just tried it and it doesn't seem to. When you view an image it will give you a preview which is a low res file for speed

Yep low res, but the quality displayed is just as good as here or flickr or anything else similar.

Seem you can do a fair bit, been using it for a while, but I`m only scratching the surface.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.