Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Picture straightening

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
kodachrome
22 Jul 2012 - 4:20 PM

Hi

I have just recently got myself a Nikon D5100 and down loaded the ViewNX2 onto the PC.

Where in the picture control/editing suite is there a facility to straighten sloping pictures [I really must get a spirit level]. Please explain in easy steps.

Thanks

Kodachrome

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Jul 2012 - 4:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103956 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2012 - 4:32 PM

go into edit, on the right hand side there is a drop down `adjustments' panel...scroll down to just below the `crop' feature Smile

kodachrome
22 Jul 2012 - 4:58 PM

Thanks but all i have down the right side is picture control and settings, no editing. none contain any info on straightening.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103956 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2012 - 6:36 PM

not sure what's wrong here...I am using V 2.3.2 32bit

you select a photo, click on edit (top menu) and on the right hand side you should have two drop down menus `adjustments' and `metadata'...the straightener is within the adjustments menu

kodachrome
22 Jul 2012 - 6:47 PM

Thanks chaps, I've found it.

cats_123
22 Jul 2012 - 6:49 PM

Quote: Thanks chaps, I've found it.

great Grin

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123785 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2012 - 7:37 AM

After 20 years of photography I still suffer from wonky horizons; no cure apart from Photoshop.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3736 forum postshobbo vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2012 - 7:50 AM

My camera.......a SONY A55 has a grid available in the viewfinder or LED screen from the camera menu, this is a real help when shooting horizons or verticals........I don't know about other cameras bough.

Hobbo

BarrieNeilPhotography

Quote: After 20 years of photography I still suffer from wonky horizons; no cure apart from Photoshop.

Get a grid screen to replace the one in your camera (readily available for most top end dSLRs) your camera. Many good spec dSLRs allow for an 'electronic' grid overlay viewable through the viewfinder - my Nikon D4's do for example (I have to have it on for the same reason Grin) or even a virtual horizon (most have this too)

kodachrome
23 Jul 2012 - 9:15 AM

Hobo
I got one of those clip on spirit levels, but its not always easy to use up at the eye. Its more usefull for tripod work. Thankfully, my PP takes care of wonky pictures.

Now you mention the Sony A55 whats your view on this camera plus A35/37/57. My Nikon weighs a ton especially with a DX 16-85 on the front, and the old neck starts to ache after a while. Sony seem to get critisized for over aggressive noise control which there is no user control to speak of which blurs away definition from about 800 ISO, or is it all B----S, any comments would be good.

Kodachrome

JJGEE
JJGEE  96101 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2012 - 9:24 AM

Quote: Get a grid screen to replace the one in your camera (readily available for most top end dSLRs) your camera.

Not restricted to top end ( presumably implying Nikon / Canon ) dSLRs, my Sony A900 have them as well Wink
Probably be a special order taking 5 weeks or more though ! !

Last Modified By JJGEE at 23 Jul 2012 - 9:25 AM
BarrieNeilPhotography

Quote: ( presumably implying Nikon / Canon )

You presume wrong Smile. I meant top end models within a manufacturers range

thewilliam
23 Jul 2012 - 2:10 PM

Quote: After 20 years of photography I still suffer from wonky horizons; no cure apart from Photoshop.

Nothing to do with over-indulgence in your favourite liquid refreshment than?

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3736 forum postshobbo vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2012 - 3:37 PM

Hi, Kodachrome,

I have had my SONY A55 for almost a couple of years now, after owning a SONY A33........The A55 is a fantastic camera, a good all rounder, with the ability to shoot ten frames a second and great HD video, plus in built Panorama shooting....oh! and more.

The best way to judge what it can do is to explore my EPZ Z Portfolio, the exif will say which of my three cameras was used.

The SONY A55 isn't the lightest of cameras, especially with a long or 28-100 macro lens attached........I would always go with SONY again because of my lens collection.

I suggest you visit JESSOPS to have a play with a demo one.

Hobbo

Quote: Hobo
I got one of those clip on spirit levels, but its not always easy to use up at the eye. Its more usefull for tripod work. Thankfully, my PP takes care of wonky pictures.

Now you mention the Sony A55 whats your view on this camera plus A35/37/57. My Nikon weighs a ton especially with a DX 16-85 on the front, and the old neck starts to ache after a while. Sony seem to get critisized for over aggressive noise control which there is no user control to speak of which blurs away definition from about 800 ISO, or is it all B----S, any comments would be good.

Kodachrome

Quote: Hobo

Kodachrome

kodachrome
23 Jul 2012 - 4:30 PM

hobbo
Very impressive pictures and IQ, What originally drew me to the Sony SLT [and I don't mind EVF] was the size, weight and access to those great Carl Zeiss lenses. In particular the A35 seemed like the best bet for price over performance over weight and 16mp. The kit lens gets high marks as well plus in body IS.
Most of my work these days is landscapes both rugged and formal with gardens and lake scapes. Some macro work on flowers etc and the odd air show.

I'm not really bothered how many frames it can do per second.

Many thanks

Koda.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.