Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pictures in your mind ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Bloggs
Bloggs  2313 forum posts England
22 Dec 2011 - 11:31 PM

I went out tonight and thought i took some fantastic pictures only to come home and find they were almost all blurred because i did not use a TRIPOD, damn it. Lesson learned i will write 100 times i must take my tripod on night shots. lol

My question is simple after returning i tried to improve and change the images but all to no avail Grrrrrrr. The ones i did change were a far cry from the picture i took. So the thought came to me that do you take a picture of the image or do you use to image to make your own image later in say lightroom or faststone or whatever other progs are out there.

We can change so much now that we can almost make a picture without taking a photo ?

Do you take the picture and touch it up or do you take the picture and then play with it until you have what you think is right ? And also is that correct ? as photographers should we be recording the truth as it is ? as it's seen when we shoot it ?

What do you think ? Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Dec 2011 - 11:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2011 - 12:11 AM

All very interestiing questions. Sense that another epic thread about to start... Smile

1. Look at the Before and After gallery uploads to see the difference in the shot out of camera and the one that is "toucehd up". Where does the creativity and skill lay: a) in capture or b) post processing?

2) Remember, its the Photographer who pre-visualises the final result, before the actual capture

3) Never trust the inage on the back of the LCD

Billlee
Billlee  85531 forum posts England
23 Dec 2011 - 12:12 AM

Quote: I went out tonight and thought i took some fantastic pictures only to come home and find they were almost all blurred because i did not use a TRIPOD, damn it. Lesson learned i will write 100 times i must take my tripod on night shots. lol
My question is simple after returning i tried to improve and change the images but all to no avail Grrrrrrr. The ones i did change were a far cry from the picture i took. So the thought came to me that do you take a picture of the image or do you use to image to make your own image later in say lightroom or faststone or whatever other progs are out there.

You are answering your own question in a sense, in that you went out to record what you saw, your disappointment was in you not using the tools properly. So in this instance you were recording what you saw through the viewfinder.

It very much depends on what you are setting out to achieve. If you want to take a picture of a scene or a portrait for example then I reckon that is what you should be doing. If you are setting out to record say shapes and lighting with a particular image in mind, that image being a manipulation on the computer, then go gather your raw material in the way of images and then come home and be creative with them. That is better, IMHO than using a poor image and manipulating it to see where you can take it, though that is actually a good way to practice to find out what you can do!!

Quote: We can change so much now that we can almost make a picture without taking a photo ?

I often do that, check this out

Quote: Do you take the picture and touch it up or do you take the picture and then play with it until you have what you think is right ? And also is that correct ? as photographers should we be recording the truth as it is ? as it's seen when we shoot it ?

Depends how you define 'photographer', if you mean by that a person who uses a camera to record what he sees then manipulations are not the thing.... but even with film manipulation took place during development. If you think that the camera is merely a tool used by an artist then all sorts of things can be achieved. After all not all artists a landscapers, or portrait painters, there are surrealists, abstract painters, people who use geometric shapes.... they all use a brush... which is right .. which is wrong?? I go out at times with a wide angle lens to deliberately produce distorted images, or take a picture deliberately out of focus to record Bokeh and so on.
Whatever floats your boat and seems right to you is fine. No rights or wrongs.... God gave us free will... we should exercise it!

Quote: What do you think ? Smile

That's what I think Wink

Billlee
23 Dec 2011 - 12:15 AM

3) Never trust the inage on the back of the LCD

..... or the outage Wink

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6519 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2011 - 12:18 AM

I think its all right to use software to show the scene your eyes saw, for instance if you shoot in raw and the camera picks the wrong white balance is it wrong to tweak the image to show the correct one and replicate the scene you remember, but personally I do not believe in using software to change a photo to something completely different, for instance if you have a bad sky in my opinion you have two options, take the shot and live with it or go back if possible when the sky is better, changing the sky or what ever else you are not happy with is a no no for me, many will disagree with me which is their right of course.

Bloggs
23 Dec 2011 - 8:19 AM

This was my first attempt at night time photography and it was a mess but i enjoyed getting out and i know just what i want when i go back with my Tripod !!! And yes i will not believe fully what i see in my LCD screen or maybe i should say i will not believe in my bad eye site !!! lol

I did go on abit above but at the time i had alot of questions that were going around my head ( excited about what i thought i had !!! then let down by the mess i saw !! then wondering about the corrections i tried to make to the shots i'd taken. )

It's nice to see what you guys think about corrections or changes we make to photos. i do agree that with the tools we have now it has become an art of it's own and i do love alot of the work that i'v seen.

Thanks for the replies above it's interesting to see what others think.

Photodreams
23 Dec 2011 - 9:47 AM

Much of my photography is of a Fantasy/Themed style so although i tend to shoot what interests me at the time (Landscapes, Architecture...), i am constantly looking at scenes i can incorporate in other images.
To me, the camera is a tool to help me capture all the different elements i require to build the final image, rarely to capture the final image as is (documentary style).

Its all down to, What YOU want from your Art... and in this case, anything goes.

thewilliam
23 Dec 2011 - 9:54 AM

It's a great start if the OP has a clear idea of what he/she wanted to capture. So many snappers are missing this vital ingredient.

When the OP learns to use the tools, we'll see some masterpieces!

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2011 - 9:54 AM

The other things to remember with night photography are that in addition to using a tripod it would better to use a remote control release for the shutter if your camera supports one. It will minimising the risk of you moving the camera whilst you operate it.

Alternatively, you could consider using your camera's self timer. Using this means there is a timed delay between you pressing the shutter release and it actually opening. Again the risk of you moving the camera is reduced. Typically cameras offer a couple of options, say 2 or 10 second delays. You press the shutter; step back and leave the camera to time the release by which time any movement you created by operating the shutter should have stopped.

Last Modified By Ewanneil at 23 Dec 2011 - 9:54 AM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014747 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2011 - 10:14 AM

When out playing with Dave to get this shot, I kinda knew what I was after.... a sexy lady on the ladder... but alas it was too cold and none were available ;Wink

levitation-2-2.jpg

I also knew that he couldn't really levitate, so I needed to take at least 2 shots which would be used in Photoshop to create the impression of hovering a little.

So yes, you should really be planning everything in advance of taking the photo - one of my first photography books went on about "seeing" the photo before you get the camera out of the bag.

I try to do this for every photo.

The main exception is when doing landscapes with the 500MM f4.5L lens - your eye can't really see what it can see as it's very very magnified, so I tend to look through that and scan the landscape as if looking through binoculars.

Here's an example of that - stood probably about half a mile away from the tree, they eye could not make out the sheep... but through the 500, they were there to be seen.

-mg-4061.jpg

Rescuing photos in Photoshop... well to be honest, I rarely bother, if it's not got any impact or is badly flawed in the RAW file, best just to move on. Sometimes you get a HDR which doens't quite blend correctly - I've used NIK filters on those to try to hide the errors... the Midnight Filter in Colour EFEX is good for that. Not got any examples to hand of that at the mo

There's the composite brigade out there who cut and paste different elements into photos to create a completely new image - they can look cool though I struggle with that, both the idea and the photoshop skills to get the result looking great. Far better at taking photos than cutting and pasting. .

The texture brigade... I've tried this too, not for me really, I think it can be great for images where the background is boring, you can put a texture, some words or music in place, and that hides the flaws nicely.

Selective colour can be cheesy...

I sometimes play with the saturation of different colours - here it's just the yellows left. Works well with new york cabs (see IKEA) and yellow road markings.

Again, this is an after thought - you've got the image finished and feel it needs something else.... just to make people stop and think "that's unusual"...

-mg-1015-6-7.jpg

Billlee
23 Dec 2011 - 11:14 AM

big-copy-copy-copyjpg.jpg

cross-kitten.jpg

A couple of images where no camera was used!

Bloggs
23 Dec 2011 - 7:29 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies here, i am going to invest in a remote for the camera now !! Ade / Billee Great pic,s all of them and very inspiring for a starter like me. Amazing that you can make pic's like that without even taking a photo !! Ade the shot of the sky tree and sheep is fabulous i'm going to ask Santa for a 500mm lens for next xmas he's already got me something for this year !!!

I am going back to take those pictures that didn't come out and i'm going to get it right !!! i hope !! It will now be after the New Year before i venture out again and with a remote and tripod i,m sure i'll get a result.

Thanks again for your time wonderful stuff Grin

ade_mcfade
23 Dec 2011 - 7:47 PM

.....so was it the kit that cocked up the night shots, or your skill in that area of photography Wink

he he - lets debate the percentage human V kit thing again, that was fun !

top tip - always take a tripod when you're doing serious photography, simple rule, start practising now Smile

Bloggs
23 Dec 2011 - 7:56 PM

LMAO .... Nope it was moi who cocked it up but hey it was good well it lasted lol ... i have the bit between my teeth now i have to get those shots right with my TRIPOD and remote and also anything else i can think of that will help me.

As for the debate about humans and kit !!!!

I think we exhausted that one ... maybe you could come up with a thread that would create some interest , perhaps how to do night shots successfully !!!! Wink

ade_mcfade
23 Dec 2011 - 8:01 PM

night stuff is fun - just do it in pairs as you can fall over and get hurt, I've certainly done it, dave nearly broke his shin in an open drain once too... it's safer in pairs. any more than 3 or 4 and you get in each others way Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.