Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pictures of power

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Sus
    Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2011 - 9:16 AM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/gallery/2011/jul/06/platon-power-world-leaders-in-pictures

I like the effect, its almost jill greenberg - ish. Ring lights? What do you think he uses?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Jul 2011 - 9:16 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2011 - 9:22 AM

No It's not ring flash. Look closely at the catchlight and you can see the square shape (probably softbox) with the photographer's head blocking the bottom centre. And then either a snooted backlight on the background to give the halo effect behind the head (on some) or digital processing.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73882 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2011 - 9:23 AM

Aggresive sharpening, use of blend modes (probably blue channel, multiply - alter opacity) lots of adjustment layers - or mono, with the original colour image in "color" mode on top. Its more like the work of Dragan than Greenberg.

Agree with Pete - there no ring light on any of the images.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 7 Jul 2011 - 9:26 AM
    Boyd
    Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2011 - 9:38 AM

This might help.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2011 - 9:42 AM

He's nearly right. The soft box would have been far bigger than his example and much further back and more centrally placed

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2011 - 9:51 AM

Big powerful lights with a big softbox, frontal lighting above the camera. It seems to be much the same for all the shots. The difference is lighting on the the background, flood lighting for the white ones, none for the black. The distance from the background is what gives the separation of the subject, and the background lights are shielded so they do not affect the subject lighting.

The use of a shorter than convention focal length for head shots is what gives the impression of being so imposing, and I suspect the sharpness is due to using a prime lens at it's optimum aperture rather than OTT sharpening.

Nick

photoworks
    photoworks  12317 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Jul 2011 - 10:07 AM

More images from this photographer on his website :

Platon photography

Grin

Sus
    7 Jul 2011 - 10:18 AM

oh yes I missed that catchlight clue - duh! So a big square softbox... not all of them have the halo so snoot optional... then draganising (yes I see what you mean, a mild Dragan rather than Greenberg).

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73882 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2011 - 10:30 AM

If you look at Andrzej Dragan's work, not some of the OTT imitations that use his name.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2011 - 10:37 AM

Didn't think that much of them to be honest, to me they just look like pro-taken passport shots, but what do I know?....Now Andrzej Dragan well that's a real artist.

Ade Grin

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 7 Jul 2011 - 10:38 AM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2011 - 11:51 AM

Quote: Didn't think that much of them to be honest

LOL...Me neither.....Seen stuff on ePHOTOzine that is equally as good, If not better, Take away the presence of the well known faces and what have you got.....Grin

Yup! Passport shots.....Smile With more than a hint of tonal tweaking....

Sus
    7 Jul 2011 - 4:42 PM

Ok, here are some better ones - masters of lighting!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2011/jul/07/hollywood-portraits-taylor-brando-in-pictures

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.