Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pirelli Calendar 2014 - The Supermodel Edition

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53668 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2013 - 11:02 PM

The Pirelli Calendar has always held a fascination for me ( snigger away) but mostly because of its upmarket mysteriousness and the fact that in reality I've never actually seen it, just a book on it once. Apparently there is an exclusive VIP list for one of 20,000 copies, so in reality I probably never will see a copy.

But what increasing fascinates me is that its an example of the best known photographers of the time shooting the chosen most beautiful people in amazingly photogenic ways. I hope I see and more importantly learn how to shoot closer to his level of excellence each time I do a shoot of my own.

Thanks for the inspiration.
http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2013/08/14/pirelli-calendar-2014-pictures---miranda-kerr--helena-christensen
and
http://www.hungertv.com/feature/pirelli-calendar-2014/

If you are on the list then I believe its out in November, and if you are passing by after this then I'd love to see your copy for inspiration.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Aug 2013 - 11:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315604 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Aug 2013 - 11:08 PM

All those models look like they could use a decent meal....

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 44029 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2013 - 11:31 PM

They are too thin....too easily broken and snapped.Sad

dcash29
dcash29  91916 forum posts England
16 Aug 2013 - 12:04 AM

Skinny and unattractive

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72328 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2013 - 12:45 AM

It would be a fantastic experience to be part of the team(s) shooting for the Pirelli calendar, just to see how they achieve the images that they use.

puertouk
puertouk  31080 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2013 - 10:11 AM

Seen better looking models on EPZ. I've been out with better looking muts than those. YukTongue

mikehit
mikehit  56687 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2013 - 10:17 AM

I remember watching a documentary about Lord Snowdon many years ago and part of it followed him on (I think) a Pirelli shoot and he said that many of the top models you wouldn't look at twice in the street, but in front of the camera they had something about them that projected onto the picture. Alas, back then models were rather more curvy than the androgenous skinny coathangers we have today.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72328 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2013 - 11:17 AM

So if a size 6 female photgrapher was to post self portraits on epz, in the critique section, would you all be so free and open with your comments about her size?
Just a thought Smile

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53668 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2013 - 11:50 AM

The Pirelli production is seen as one of the highlights of a genre, that's the idea i was going for in this discussion - not whether we like or dislike a particular persons collection of genes and how they manage their body shape.

Lets not blame the models for who they are, instead maybe question the various culture's that make these the 'chosen' beautiful people if you disagree.
Also lets remember that many models actually put a great deal of effort into developing their look and whether this is large or small, a muscle bound guy or waif like girl, its a look they aspire to and is often one a marketing company chooses to sell products to us as the public.

For photography I want to identify and emulate where I can the best in each genre I find of interest.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 16 Aug 2013 - 11:51 AM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315622 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2013 - 3:59 PM

I can remember watching a documentary of a Pireli shot on the Island of Cuba with lord Lichfield, this was before Cuba became a popular holiday destination Smile

Steve McCurry shot this years.

http://photothisandthat.co.uk/2012/12/01/steve-mccurry-shoots-the-pirelli-calend...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 16 Aug 2013 - 4:06 PM
Geoffphoto
16 Aug 2013 - 7:36 PM

I have several Pirelli calendars and to my knowledge Patrick Lichfield didn't photograph one, The Cuba calendar was for Unipart (I've got that one as well !1 )

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315622 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2013 - 8:26 PM

Yes I think you must be right Smile

He shot that calendar for 17 years

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patrick-Lichfields-Unipart-Calendar-Book/dp/0002164701

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 16 Aug 2013 - 8:27 PM
patters
patters  101786 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2013 - 10:37 PM

I'm not sure what irony is, skinny birds and (spare) tyres?

MichaelMelb_AU
17 Aug 2013 - 12:32 AM

I love advertisements. They are often more multi-layer that their creators intended them to be. For example, one of top car makers advertises their cars with African wild cat - perfect predator , extremely sexy, slim and fast, but only able to run fast for half a mile and being known for having brittle bones Tongue As for girls and Pirelli - give me all components separately, i.e:
- Nice looking girl;
- Top camera;
- Great tyres for my car.
Together they make Bloody Mary - which I can drink at a party but find difficult to appreciate for the taste.
Is this an accident that tyres do not appear in the shot?
P.S. Any links to Invista Lycra calendar?Wink

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 17 Aug 2013 - 12:37 AM
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315604 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Aug 2013 - 9:10 AM

Quote: So if a size 6 female photgrapher was to post self portraits on epz, in the critique section, would you all be so free and open with your comments about her size?
Just a thought Smile

Nope, as I no longer comment on the gallery here. However, I see no problem with commenting on someone's looks when they make a living out of putting themself in the front of a camera. It's my own opinion, but I think the continuing obsession with skinny models is unhealthy and sets a bad example to young women.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.