Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Pity they did not react to other issues years ago

tomcat Plus
9 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2011 9:14PM
read this first

Quote:Defra estimates there are around 100 of the green-and-yellow birds in the UK, mainly in the south east of England.

Not a problem yet, I would have thought

Quote:A spokesman for the RSPB, the bird conservation group, said: "Our understanding is that they are going to be brought into captivity; we don't see it's necessary for them to be culled.

A pity they did not have the same concerns about Mink & other non indigenous species, which have devastated our indigenous species.

Our current government has just announced 25 million pound funding to overseas wildlife conservation, which I whole heartedly applaud, but how about a tad of that money being spent here, instead of relying on charitable organisations

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri 14 15.9k United Kingdom
24 Apr 2011 9:59PM
A pity they don't have the same concerns about the biggest killers of our feathered friends.... so called "pet" cats.

Wink
hobbo Plus
4 937 2 England
25 Apr 2011 7:45AM

Quote:A pity they don't have the same concerns about the biggest killers of our feathered friends.... so called "pet" cats.

Wink

A pet cat will not be a bird killer if it wears a collar with a loud bell or two.................All cats when hunting, wriggle their back end prior to pouncing................this involuntary action rings the bell/s and the bird escapes before the cat can get it:

Cats....like dogs......do what comes naturally ........there are kind ways to stop a dog's incessant barking........and even biting:

I speak from experience..Our indoor can never goes outside the garden after having her hind leg almost torn-off by a loose Rescue Greyhound: Our other moggie is a real outdoor cat that hunts, he never brings birds home now because he announces his presence by a loud tinkling bell.....he does catch the odd field-mouse, vole or mole though they must be slower at hearing his bell:

Hobbo
Fishnet 11 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
25 Apr 2011 8:46AM
I was told that a pet cat hunting is not doing what comes naturally.

In the wild a well fed and full up lion will let a gazelle just wander past, it only kills to eat, and a domestic cat should be the same. A pet cat nicely fed on Whiskers should have no need to hunt, they just do it because they can.
thewilliam 6 5.2k
25 Apr 2011 11:54AM
Some cats, just like some people, hunt because they enjoy it. Having a full belly has nothing to do with it. I'd reckon it's cruel to fit a bell to the cat's collar.

There's a pheasant shoot near us that buries most of the bag, sometimes 400 birds after a "good" day. That I do find obscene!
catgirl73 7 142 United Kingdom
25 Apr 2011 12:03PM
I'm sure they have there figures wrong 100 if you google the topic most stats say there are 30-40,000 now in the UK. There are a noisy bunch in the Wembley area we have our own tiny birds struggling and they don't need the competition. Should have sorted this problem out a long time ago!

I don't get how on earth they are going to cull them, in my garden they all seem quite shy and hang out at the top of the highest trees!

They should go though.
pennyspike 12 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2011 3:30PM
Two different species, and different problems.
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
26 Apr 2011 4:14PM

Quote:I was told that a pet cat hunting is not doing what comes naturally.

In the wild a well fed and full up lion will let a gazelle just wander past, it only kills to eat, and a domestic cat should be the same.

I heard the opposite

Even seen footage on these natural history programmes of big cats bringing down more prey while eating the first, the instinct is still there
There might be something in a full wild cat not having the motivation to hunt & we see that in pet cats too when they doze in the sunshine even though there are birds etc nearby
tomcat Plus
9 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2011 7:36PM
Dogs are pets
Cats are free spirit animals, who adopt us.Grin

Quote:wriggle their back end prior to pouncing

So do IWink
collywobles 11 3.5k 9 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2011 11:33AM

Quote:A pet cat will not be a bird killer if it wears a collar with a loud bell or two.................

Maybe - but they are still a bloody nuisance.........
Briwooly 9 452 5 England
29 Apr 2011 11:40AM
We have 3 Siamese and I have just been watching 2 blackbirds eating from there bowl and the cats are just sat watching not a lot of killer instinct there Grin Wink

Brian.............................................................
duneshot 6 9 United States
1 May 2011 11:45AM
Cats are ok ... So are dogs and they are fun and loving to have around the house.

dune
Tooth 10 5.8k 227 Ireland
1 May 2011 12:06PM
and it's not true they always fight Smile20-image1.jpg

mohikan22 11 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
1 May 2011 12:10PM
you should see the manky horrid cats that live next door... it is my aim to scare them outof my garden EVERY time i see them. they will learn ...... they dont even look nice. more freal looking.
tomcat Plus
9 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
7 May 2011 9:42PM
I have never seen a freal cat...Is it a new species?Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.