Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pity they did not react to other issues years ago

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85873 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2011 - 9:14 PM

read this first

Quote: Defra estimates there are around 100 of the green-and-yellow birds in the UK, mainly in the south east of England.

Not a problem yet, I would have thought

Quote: A spokesman for the RSPB, the bird conservation group, said: "Our understanding is that they are going to be brought into captivity; we don't see it's necessary for them to be culled.

A pity they did not have the same concerns about Mink & other non indigenous species, which have devastated our indigenous species.

Our current government has just announced 25 million pound funding to overseas wildlife conservation, which I whole heartedly applaud, but how about a tad of that money being spent here, instead of relying on charitable organisations

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Apr 2011 - 9:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
24 Apr 2011 - 9:59 PM

A pity they don't have the same concerns about the biggest killers of our feathered friends.... so called "pet" cats.

Wink

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3774 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2011 - 7:45 AM

Quote: A pity they don't have the same concerns about the biggest killers of our feathered friends.... so called "pet" cats.

Wink

A pet cat will not be a bird killer if it wears a collar with a loud bell or two.................All cats when hunting, wriggle their back end prior to pouncing................this involuntary action rings the bell/s and the bird escapes before the cat can get it:

Cats....like dogs......do what comes naturally ........there are kind ways to stop a dog's incessant barking........and even biting:

I speak from experience..Our indoor can never goes outside the garden after having her hind leg almost torn-off by a loose Rescue Greyhound: Our other moggie is a real outdoor cat that hunts, he never brings birds home now because he announces his presence by a loud tinkling bell.....he does catch the odd field-mouse, vole or mole though they must be slower at hearing his bell:

Hobbo

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2011 - 8:46 AM

I was told that a pet cat hunting is not doing what comes naturally.

In the wild a well fed and full up lion will let a gazelle just wander past, it only kills to eat, and a domestic cat should be the same. A pet cat nicely fed on Whiskers should have no need to hunt, they just do it because they can.

thewilliam
25 Apr 2011 - 11:54 AM

Some cats, just like some people, hunt because they enjoy it. Having a full belly has nothing to do with it. I'd reckon it's cruel to fit a bell to the cat's collar.

There's a pheasant shoot near us that buries most of the bag, sometimes 400 birds after a "good" day. That I do find obscene!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 25 Apr 2011 - 11:56 AM
catgirl73
catgirl73  6137 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Apr 2011 - 12:03 PM

I'm sure they have there figures wrong 100 if you google the topic most stats say there are 30-40,000 now in the UK. There are a noisy bunch in the Wembley area we have our own tiny birds struggling and they don't need the competition. Should have sorted this problem out a long time ago!

I don't get how on earth they are going to cull them, in my garden they all seem quite shy and hang out at the top of the highest trees!

They should go though.

pennyspike
pennyspike  112068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2011 - 3:30 PM

Two different species, and different problems.

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2011 - 4:14 PM

Quote: I was told that a pet cat hunting is not doing what comes naturally.

In the wild a well fed and full up lion will let a gazelle just wander past, it only kills to eat, and a domestic cat should be the same.

I heard the opposite

Even seen footage on these natural history programmes of big cats bringing down more prey while eating the first, the instinct is still there
There might be something in a full wild cat not having the motivation to hunt & we see that in pet cats too when they doze in the sunshine even though there are birds etc nearby

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85873 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2011 - 7:36 PM

Dogs are pets
Cats are free spirit animals, who adopt us.Grin

Quote: wriggle their back end prior to pouncing

So do IWink

collywobles
29 Apr 2011 - 11:33 AM

Quote: A pet cat will not be a bird killer if it wears a collar with a loud bell or two.................

Maybe - but they are still a bloody nuisance.........

Briwooly
Briwooly  8452 forum posts England5 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2011 - 11:40 AM

We have 3 Siamese and I have just been watching 2 blackbirds eating from there bowl and the cats are just sat watching not a lot of killer instinct there Grin Wink

Brian.............................................................

duneshot
duneshot  5 United States
1 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

Cats are ok ... So are dogs and they are fun and loving to have around the house.

dune

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

and it's not true they always fight Smile20-image1.jpg

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2011 - 12:10 PM

you should see the manky horrid cats that live next door... it is my aim to scare them outof my garden EVERY time i see them. they will learn ...... they dont even look nice. more freal looking.

tomcat
7 May 2011 - 9:42 PM

I have never seen a freal cat...Is it a new species?Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.